2-stroke oil choice?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
darkelf
Participant
Participant

2-stroke oil choice?

Post by darkelf »

what kind of oil do you guys run in your augers and where do u get it?

anything special?
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Amsoil Saber Synthetic can be purchased at Auto Parts Extra. The bottle says 100:1 ratio but you can mix it 40:1 with no problem at all, actually runs better than any other oil I have used.

I use Amsoil in just about everything I own now. I switched to Amsoil in my Honda Rubicon ATV and couldn't believe the difference in how it starts, idles and runs with the Amsoil in it. Certainly worth the premium price.

If you have an older Jiffy, the model will say to mix 24:1 but they have changed that 40:1 if you are using synthetic oil.
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

just bought an eskimo shark z51
it says 50:1
and i've heard good things about amsoil from a few people. they also suggest using high octane gas. does it make a difference????
i guess in the long run.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Jiffy brand oil....Smokeless !!!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I've had an Eskimo 33 for 5 seaons now. Drilled THOUSANDS of holes and never had any problems but a broken pull cord and adjustment on the throttle cable, and I couldn't tell you what brand oil I use. One thing I do however is mix my gas a little leaner than I should (more oil). I use regular octane gas. My auger still starts on A SINGLE CRANK EVERY TIME! I also store my auger in my heated garage, maybe that has something to do with it.

Those Eskimos are underrated machines. As good as any machine I've seen.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

darkelf wrote:just bought an eskimo shark z51
it says 50:1
and i've heard good things about amsoil from a few people. they also suggest using high octane gas. does it make a difference????
i guess in the long run.
DON'T RUN HIGH OCTANE GAS IN YOUR AUGER, high octane burns cooler, and designed to prevent pre detonation of the fuel. You may or may not end up with the desired effect of using the high octane fuel. It isn't so much about saving 15 cents per litre, since you are more than like only going to run a litre or two per season through it.

My advice for gas in your auger would be to buy regular grade gas at Shell. So far they are the only ones not adding ethanol to their gasoline, but that's going to change shortly thanks to the government implementing minimum ethanol content amounts in all gasoline sold. (This is going to be a small engine mechanic's dream)

BA's suggestion of the Jiffy Premium Synthetic Smokless oil is good too, but can be hard to find locally.

Paul, do you know where it can be bought locally?

Another thing that has not been mentioned is fuel stabilizer. Get yourself a can of Seafoam or other premium brand fuel stabilizer and add 2 oz to each 5 litres of gas. Small engines hate stale gasoline.

I also noticed from the other thread, that this gas auger is a new item for you. The single best piece of advice is NEVER lend your auger to ANYONE and don't bang the blades on the ice. When you get back home at the end of the day, take a spray can of PAM or vegetable oil and give the blades a light coat.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

MLR wrote: BA's suggestion of the Jiffy Premium Synthetic Smokless oil is good too, .

Paul, do you know where it can be bought locally?.

I've been stealing a bottle from Joco every time I visit him :wink:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Bass Addict wrote:
MLR wrote: BA's suggestion of the Jiffy Premium Synthetic Smokless oil is good too, .

Paul, do you know where it can be bought locally?.

I've been stealing a bottle from Joco every time I visit him :wink:
Me too!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

thanks for the advise guys, it helped allot and was educational!
hope to see you all on the ice at one time or another.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

After using a multitude of oils, for the last few years I've been using Lucas in all my 2 stroke motors: 30 hp evinrude, snowblower, auger, weedeater and chainsaw and have always put stabilizer in the gas with every mix. Even run all the old mixed gas in my 4 stroke lawnmower.
Every engine has never run better since I switched about 4 or 5 years ago. Quick start up, clean, no smoke and smooth running.
That's my experience and would not hesitate to recommend it.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I run amsoil in my boat, and snowblower and I am going to switch my truck over to it the next oil change. I have been very happy with how it performs and if you shop around you can find it for a reasonable price. I also run Sta-Bil Marine in everything I own all the time. It is supposed to prevent issues caused by ethanol and it also means I always have stabilizer in my fuel no matter what time of year. I think it is cheap insurance for my toys :D
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hawkers;
I am wrong here? Oil is Oil! Oil is a lub, there are different consistencies, but now you have Syn or Reg?
If you use a specific oil for your boat engine, then use it for your other, no?

:idea:
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Daner wrote:Hawkers;
I am wrong here? Oil is Oil! Oil is a lub, there are different consistencies, but now you have Syn or Reg?
If you use a specific oil for your boat engine, then use it for your other, no?

:idea:
Well, according to fishmaster, LunkerLarry, BA and myself oil isn't oil. Fishmaster and myself seem to favour Amsoil products, LunkerLarry has great success with Lucas oil products and BA likes the oil that Jiffy is marketing. We have all given our stories on noticeable performance differences found after switching.

But if running a cheaper value brand is working for you, that's ok too. We have switched and believe we are getting something for the premium we pay.