Ice Fishing in Cardinal or Iroquis

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Prescott rocks!
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing in Cardinal or Iroquis

Post by Prescott rocks! »

I am new to the Prescott and area and eager to get out ice fishing. I am thinking about venturing out on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone know of any safe areas where the ice is thick enough on the St Lawrence? Also, I would really like to pick up live minnows and/or maggots. Where is the nearest spot for these items? No sucess finding them so far.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

(Please disregard my username. Couldn't think or anything clever on the fly)
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Ice Fishing in Cardinal or Iroquis

Post by cprince »

Prescott rocks! wrote:I am new to the Prescott and area and eager to get out ice fishing. I am thinking about venturing out on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone know of any safe areas where the ice is thick enough on the St Lawrence? Also, I would really like to pick up live minnows and/or maggots. Where is the nearest spot for these items? No sucess finding them so far.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

(Please disregard my username. Couldn't think or anything clever on the fly)
Welcome to Fish Hawk!!

I wont be able to help you with your questions, but there is little doubt that there are many great members from your area who can and likely will help you!

No need to make excuses for the user name either! It is essential to be proud of where you are from in my opinion... unless you are from Gatineau!

:wink:

All good!

Craig
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.

Check out Johnstown bay (by the grain elevators) between Prescott and Cardinal. Look for fisherman and huts.

Closer to Cardinal look for Galop Canal Road. Drive back and check out that area. Look for other fisherman, be friggin' careful. There is slack water and moving water. I have no idea how safe/thick the ice is there.

As you come into Cardinal look down towards the canal. Look for fisherman on the canal by the Legion.

Good luck and stay safe,
Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Prescott rocks!
Participant
Participant

I drove down to the canal in Cardinal today. One shack out on the ice. Know one there fishing though. Didn't venture out onto the ice. Thinking if nothing else, that's where I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks very much for the input.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Prescott rocks! wrote: (Please disregard my username. Couldn't think or anything clever on the fly)
If you do decide to change your username into something clever....get a hold of Craig....cprince, one of our mods....he lives for that stuff :wink:
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Lurewasher »

Whats wrong with the fish in Prescott? For minnows, you could try Shepard's live bait in Brockville. Not sure if he has any right now , but just call and ask him? His phone # is 613-498-1903 hope this helps , good luck
Prescott rocks!
Participant
Participant

Thanks to last post about the bait shop info. I will definitely try him tomorrow first thing. I was considering heading to Norris's in Westport. He's had great shiners in the past. A bit of drive from Prescott.
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Lurewasher »

I just called Sheppard's and he's out, but should have more soon. sorry
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Hey Prescott Rocker, I get my maggots from a store in Ingleside that also carrys minnows & other ice fishing items. Its a bit of a drive but worth it. There is no good ice in Johnstown right now as for Cardinal there is two spots to ice fish the west and east end of the old canal. Guys are already fishing the east end, the west end does get safe ice but not sure what the current condition is. Just remeber down there it has current and is deep. Maybe we'll see you on the ice around Prescott.
tosoutherncars
Participant
Participant

Post by tosoutherncars »

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread... PrescottRocks, are you still around? I've just started working in the area, looking for some ice fishing contacts! :) You must be an old salt, by now...
Pow3rful14
Participant
Participant

Post by Pow3rful14 »

What was that phone number for sheppards I called that one and not in service
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Pow3rful14 wrote:What was that phone number for sheppards I called that one and not in service
Shepards is out of business. If your in Brockville area looking for bait you have a few options all require a drive Smith Falls Bennets, Wings Lyndhurst, Bite Me Morrisburg & Carpins Ingleside...