Petrie Island Recap - and Sunday frustration

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Petrie Island Recap - and Sunday frustration

Post by DaveH »

G'day folks,

Petrie Island Recap

So, yesterday my father (51) my little brother (9) and I (32) rented a boat at the Petrie Island Bait and Tackle shop. I couldn't figure out who was more excited, me or my brother *laughs*. He was dancing around and couldn't wait to get out there fishing on a boat for the first time, and his eyes lit up when I told him there were muskie out there. He was convinced he'd get one!

So we puttered out from the dock, and actually didn't go very far to try a few casts into the weeds along the edge.

After a few uneventful casts with my new spinner lure I switched over to a Power Tube (punpkinseed) rigged texas-style and pitched it into the weeds (I think it wasn't more than 4-6 feet of water, and very very murky)

Anyway nothing when I pitched it in, but then just for fun I just dropped it straight down from the boat and WHAM! ... caught my first EVER pike...a pretty decent size too (16-18 inches). I couldn't really measure or weigh him as we didn't actually BRING a net *laughs* oops...

Anyway...we moved around an awful lot that morning, but that was our only catch, until a couple hours later when we decided to move out to about the middle of the channel (close to the buoy in front of the new beach area) and I guess it ends up being pretty shallow there because my little brother started bringing in baby perch on every cast *laughs* I think he caught about 10 in as many minutes... so thank god for that as he was getting pretty bored and frustrated.

My Dad caught a couple perch as well, I spent most of my time experimenting very unsuccessfully with different lures.

All in all it was a really fun day, even though it wasn't super hardcore fishing.

Sunday Frustration

OK so I decided NOT to go golfing today, and instead went back to Long Island Locks, or Nicolls locks or whatever they were called.

That was where i went on Friday morning and saw so many large fish jumping, but without any luck.

Well I had a few new tools in my arsenal, so I was much more confident that I'd have some luck this morning.

Ahhhh the dreamer I am.

I tried spinners, tubes, spoons, rappalla's spinners with power worms on em, tubes with some weight in them, tubes with NO weight ... tried goin on the surface, going deep....

Nothin...

Don't know what to do! The big fish are obviously out there and hungry as they were jumping left right and center and some so close I swear I saw the whites in their eyes...

Any suggestions? If fish are jumping like that, does that mean they are going for surface bait, or are they chasing the smaller fish up and out of the water?

Am I sunk because I'm casting from shore instead of on a boat and letting the tubes swim down on their own??

Anyway, I think that is looking like a promising spot, and I'm determined to land a nice fish from there...so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Or should I just hit the links instead *laughs*
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Well at least you have located some fish. Now you have to determine what was jumping. Many fish jump from sturgeon to carp. When you figure out what they are then you cand figure out what to throw at them.. I have had days where perch saved the day..heck last winter it was a few smelt through the ice that made up my catch.. :lol:
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

I've also seen fish jumping there but nothing biting. I think they're carp, so probably try some corn for bait.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but most of those fish are Carp. The Rideau (and many other bodies of water) have loads of these fish.

I am not a carper (at least not for the past 15 years - did it as a kid back where I grew up) but if you want to have some fun and catch some big fish, grab some carp bait, a hook and a sinker. Cast this out and I am sure you will be catching carp all day. Make sure that you have strong tackle cause these fish are huge.

I never forget the Fish'n Canada show where Peter Bowan was fishing in some harbour on lake Ontario. He was fishing for carp and was catching huge fish (I am talking 20+ lbers). Than a guy came in from the lake and ask if he caught anything. He said carp of course. The guy laugh and said that is not a fish, and than he held up a couple of 5 lb trout. Carp can be fun...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mike
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

They were pretty small for carp, to me (although I can't say I'm a trained eye) they looked like bass, or possibly perch...

Hard to say though... The biggest one I saw out of the water was probaby 10-12 inches long...slight gold colour on the belly which is what made me think of bass...

Has anyone tried fishing at the bottom of the locks??

There is some serious veggie growth down there, makes me think there must be some nice fishies in there.

I tried tossing some tubes in there, but I dunno if that was the right thing to do, or if I should have been working some frogs or ... oh heck I don't know what to do *laughs*
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

I also noticed that Seaweed mentioned some luck with Muskie around that area, don't know if he was in a boat or not though...cause the thread was about shore-fishing...
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Dave,The muskie at petrie can be tackled from shore but are hard to find.Really just go out to the culverts on either side and throw crankbaits(Firetiger has proven well)And the best and easiest option is a big minnow tossed out and let er sit,a live minnow is best but you also have the chance of cats,SM and LM bass,walleye,and pretty much any other fish that is there.

I will prob be out there tonight for a bit but any other questions just post on here or send me a pm and Ill do anything I can to get you into the bigguns out there.

T.L THE B-DAY BOY
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Ohhhhh I thought he was talkin about Long Island locks...

Yeah I'd love to hook up sometime to try and hook up a big ol... well anything really *laughs*

But I gotta get a bit better prepared for the big boys... I suspect that 8 pound monofilament won't exactly hold up to the muskies *laughs*
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

I caught my very first musky in early June at Long Island below the locks. It wasn't in that thick vegetation, though, it was at the end of the dock. Here's the thread http://www.fish-hawk.net/phpBB-2.0.2/ph ... highlight=

As I wasn't targeting muskie, I caught it on tackle used for walleye. It wasn't very big, so I didn't have too much of a problem with it.

We've been back there since, but haven't been able to catch much, especially when there are boats docked all over the place. I think we'll wait till after Labour Day to go there again.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Wow!! Great fish!!

Well that settles it. I'm not givin up on that spot until I hook ... something *laughs*

Maybe I'll head out there Friday morning. Hopefully there won't be too many boats there and I'll try the lower docks...