Ice fishing sled

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Ice fishing sled

Post by Papaclaude »

The last few times I was out with my fishing gear, I thought someone had filled the sled with rocks. I stepped on my tongue at least 5 times in 3/4 km. (stepping on one's tongue while wearing ice creepers is painful). While rooting around in the basement today, I came across a can of glide wax they use on x-country skis. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. Well, it was as if the sled weighed half of what it did the day before. I only stepped on my tongue once, and with the fresh snow, I didn't have to wear the crampons. No pain! you can buy glide was anywhere they sell x-country gear. the one I used is a paste stuff, and you can also get it in spray form as well.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Ice fishing sled

Post by cprince »

Papaclaude wrote:The last few times I was out with my fishing gear, I thought someone had filled the sled with rocks. I stepped on my tongue at least 5 times in 3/4 km. (stepping on one's tongue while wearing ice creepers is painful). While rooting around in the basement today, I came across a can of glide wax they use on x-country skis. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. Well, it was as if the sled weighed half of what it did the day before. I only stepped on my tongue once, and with the fresh snow, I didn't have to wear the crampons. No pain! you can buy glide was anywhere they sell x-country gear. the one I used is a paste stuff, and you can also get it in spray form as well.
One thing that was mentioned at the ice fishing seminar at LeBarons last week was; Use a LONG rope. They seemed to indicate that The Armed Forces use a 15 foot rope and it feels like nothing to drag a small car behind you!

Try is out and tell us how true it is or isn't!!!

Craig
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

I use long rope too, It`s safer to be a little ways from the sled and easier to pull. the Cdn armed forces does use a long pull but the seld is fitted with a double harness for two pullers and the sled has a tiller bar to push with. So you have two pullers and one pusher. If you ever come across one of these sleds (called tobogans) they would make a great ice sled. Fiberglass with an attached nylon cover. Geeze I pulled one of these all ovet the north.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

This is a timely post as I have been thinking of ways to try and make it easier to pull these types of sleds. I have a Fabrill clam type sled and found it can be quite a slog sometimes t to pull the heavier and deeper the snow gets.
What I first tried was paste wax the bottom like we did as kids for our wooden toboggans. That helped but not much. Then I used 3 old cross country skis which helped a lot more. Waxed them also. But there still is the problem of the entire sled being in touch with the snow, hence increased drag.
What I was thinking of doing just this weekend when I was pulling it coming in from fishing was raising the skis I put on the bottom up about 3 or 4 inches. That way, for the most part, I think the amount of drag would be significantly decreased because the sleigh is no longer in contact with the snow. I would also have to find a way to reinforce the bottom of the sleigh where I sit without adding additional weight.
Anyway, it's always great to have an idea and tinker around. I plan on working on this one.
Keep smilin'
Larry
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Making a light frame of 2X2's, with pillars/legs of 2X4 to raise the sled 3 1/2 inches off the snow (I may use 4X4 blocks about 5 inches long, not sure yet). For those of you that are also shooters, a pillar bedded sled, pretty neat, huh? I'd hook the sled on the frame with bungies so I could remove it when these is no snow on the ice. Anyways, I'm looking for some old skis. I anyone in the East end has any they'd like to donate to a good cause, please feel free to PM me.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Just remember that if you add height to small ski's it may make it harder due to less mass to reduce the drag and more tippy as well so more weight on one side possibly....think of a snow shoes. It is easier to walk in one of those instead of your regular boots....larger area to keep you up on the snow. So by raising it up and adding small skis may make it sink more creating more drag.

Does this make sense or do I need another coffee??? :lol:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

try this ...

Post by D-mo »

i use Armor All on the sled of my scout ... makes things much easier to pull.

d-mo
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

You're absolutely right, though another coffee never hurts! In deep snow, it would mean dragging even more weight. The problem I have is that right now, in 3 inches or so of snow, I'm lugging all of the weight of the sled through the snow. Also, the sled is a little worn down, so the bottom is rough. Skis would keep it above the snow, so I'b be dragging less area through the snow. Another option I'm thinking of is a wife-sized harness, but I haven't run that by her yet. But if experience serves me right, I'd be better off with a pack mule - wayyyy less stubborn.
fish_on
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_on »

Get a snowmobile, its a lot easier to press the heated throttle!
Men and fish are alike..... they both get into trouble when they open their mouths!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Sort of makes sense Pete, but it depends how the skis are implemented.
I added skis to my sled for stability and to reduce drag. The ski base is wider than the sled, but only raise the sled 1/2". So in powder, both the skis and the sled are in contact with the snow. In all other cases, the sled bottom rides above the snow with only the skis in contact. (I may need to take a picture to explain it better...)

Towed behind the ATV over rough terrain it works great - no more tipped over gear...
almontefisher wrote:Just remember that if you add height to small ski's it may make it harder due to less mass to reduce the drag and more tippy as well so more weight on one side possibly....think of a snow shoes. It is easier to walk in one of those instead of your regular boots....larger area to keep you up on the snow. So by raising it up and adding small skis may make it sink more creating more drag.

Does this make sense or do I need another coffee??? :lol:
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

I just made a frame for my sled. It consists of a pair of skis I got from Play it Again sports for $10. To these, I screwed 3 blocks of 2X4, 4" long, to each ski, and i made a small frame of 2X2 to sit the sled on. It raises the sled by 5". The sled is secured to the frame using small bungees. I'm going to test it out tonight, and I'll let you know how it works. If it works out OK, I'll post some pix.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

papaclaude - great! I'll look forward to see your design. Sounds pretty easy.
Good luck.
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

Heres my homade rig with small pelican sled attached
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Invest in a snowmobile, much easier and lots of fun.[/quote]