Slushpuppy & Bowzog Still On Speaking Terms?!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Slushpuppy & Bowzog Still On Speaking Terms?!

Post by wolfe »

OK, Slushy. Did you & Bowzog launch the new boat today? Was it a breeze? Was it horrific? Throw each other in? Sink? Swim? Scream?

All the details, please. Been thinking about ya! :wink:

(Seriously, hope it went well & you had a great day of fishing together.)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

who threw who in first???!!!!!!
Life goes on
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Well, we had quite the adventure yesterday.

We decided to go on the Rideau, yes, the Rideau on an Sunday in July. We scoped out the Eccolands Park launch the night before. It's close to home, has a nice straight launch, lots of parking, and the launch wasn't too busy.

We got there at 7am. The place was empty so we didn't have any trouble backing it up and putting the Slushpuppy 1 in the water. Piece of cake. Went all the way up to Long Island locks. Saw only one canoeist by the Jock River up till 10am, everybody else was still sleeping. The real traffic began at 10am, waterskiers, seadoos, speedboats, big cruisers, you name it. If they could have an oil tanker on that thing they'd be there.

Once the boat traffic started, we spent most of our time in the Long Island back channel. That's where I caught our biggest fish of the day, an 11" smallmouth. Not much, but it's good for a few points.

Our biggest mistake was waiting so long before heading back to the launch. It was probably around 2pm when we decided to head back. The traffic was horrendous and none of these big monsters slow down. It reminded me of the day we spent on Wolfe Lake, rough and wet, except that the condition of Wolfe Lake was weather related.

Loading the boat was, again, fairly easy. Getting to dock it was the major headache. There were people there using the dock as their own personal loading point for taking people tubing. We're waiting for a just-launched boat to leave when this guy pulling a tube just pulls up ahead of us. Bowzog had to hold me back from throwing a jitterbug at that tube. :wink: so I had to settle for the Slushpuppy Evil Eye.

Anyway, we survived our first outing practically unscathed. No hissing or yelling. Looking forward to our next one!

How was your trip to NJ Wolfe? Kinda far to go for a kids birthday party :?:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Slushpuppy, it sounds like the launching in and taking out went A-OK. Good for you & Bowzog. The scary "first" is over with. :P

But...when you like peaceful, quiet outings, it absolutely stinks to have to deal with the dog & pony show of a busy lake!! Grrrr! At least you caught a fish for your team, right?!

Yes, a trip to NJ for a kid's bday party is "kind of far"! I think so, too! But saying "I do" to hubby also means "I will" travel for family obligations...among other things! :roll:

W.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

:lol: :lol: Nice goin you guys > i'm impressed I roamed the Rideau for years and you always meet up with some over enthusiastic boaters :P :lol: :oops: . But you held on and just rode the "wave" . Getting upset only makes your landing worse. My hat is off to both of you.
Life goes on
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

gorfman007 wrote:... But you held on and just rode the "wave" .
Thanks guys.

We rode the wave alright :!: It still hurts to sit down :mrgreen: :oops:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Slushpuppy doesn't know this yet but I've been looking at torpedo launchers to install on the SP1 the next time we go out on the Rideau!! :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I hate that launch and all the idjiots with no regard to water saftey for others in small boats and especally for the canoer's. I have lauched the finger at quite a few idjiots there :evil: :evil:

Not a mean person but can't stand people with more money then brains

BASSSTALKER
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

BASSSTALKER wrote:I hate that launch and all the idjiots with no regard to water saftey for others in small boats and especally for the canoer's. I have lauched the finger at quite a few idjiots there :evil: :evil:

Not a mean person but can't stand people with more money then brains

BASSSTALKER
Amen to that BRO!!!!! :lol:
Life goes on
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Sat on the big Rideau we were in the bay we were staying and this guy was dragging skiers and tubes all day there was two kids fishing from a canoe I was getting pee pee he was throwing some big wakes. . the kids asked us for some tips I asked them if they had plastics they did nt we gave them some hooks and senko type baits. Later found out the kids belonged to the crowd sking.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Rideaufish,

That (excessive tubing / skiing) can be fairly typical on at least some parts of the Rideau. At least the Little Rideau. (Which were you on?)

Do you see the thread several months back where I mentioned the girl who was killed on the Little Rideau (about 5 years ago) while getting pulled on a tube at dusk? It was horrible. You've got to have eyes behind your head when things get that busy...

W.