I want to go ice fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

I want to go ice fishing

Post by lapointeric »

I did a search, don't shoot.

I want to do some ice fishing, but I'm looking for a place with heated huts (that fits myself and a buddy), and can supply us with basic gear... This will be my first time out on the 'hard water' as they say.

Any good suggestions?

THANKS.

E
Broncos
Participant
Participant

Post by Broncos »

Calabogie has always been good to us when fishing for walleye at night, they have shacks, supply wood, and they have 4 lines in the shacks themselves, depends if you want to use them or have Jim drill others outside, its completly up to you. The bait place that rents out the shacks is called Jims Bait and tackle.

Heres a link:
http://www.profilecanada.com/companydet ... labogie_ON
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Would a 6 man Clam, a propane heater,. all the gear, and a walleye guarantee do the job?
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Jims is out of business
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

you can call baitcasters in carleton place they rent shacks on the mississippi for 100 a day all fire wood hole drilling and a dozen minnows included in the price oh and the ride to the shack
Broncos
Participant
Participant

Post by Broncos »

Well thats a shame, iv been going there my whole life.....
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

If I were you I'd research the cost of a heated hut on Mississippi, White or the Ottawa and compare that cost to getting out with Yannick (Fisherguy33)... I'd bet he's comparable in price and you'll end up on productive water.. he's guaranteeing you fish. No brainer to me, especially to make your first outing a memorable one.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Heated shacks? Supplied gear? I can excuse the latter for a fist time-er... but going to heated shacks? :) It's like going to play hockey for the first time ever at scotiabank place and never once checking out an outdoor rink. boooooooo. come freeze your nads in Wendover with me on the weekend. hahahaha.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

fisherguy33 wrote:Would a 6 man Clam, a propane heater,. all the gear, and a walleye guarantee do the job?
ding ding ding ding
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: I want to go ice fishing

Post by Bass Addict »

lapointeric wrote:

I want to do some ice fishing, but I'm looking for a place with heated huts (that fits myself and a buddy), and can supply us with basic gear... This will be my first time out on the 'hard water' as they say.

Any good suggestions?

THANKS.

E
I'll do all the above at NO charge..............................well not really

Lets say i'll settle for one of your Muskie Hotspots :idea:

:wink: 8)
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Not sure where your looking to fish, but claude collette in Ingleside has about 50 shacks on hoople creek on the st.lawrence. He supplies wood,minnows and drills your holes for ya. He used to charge $50 for the day and the shacks hold 6 guys, so less then 10 bucks a guy, you cant beat that price. Not sure what he is charging now, haven't rented one in a while. You dont even need to call the guy just show up there in the morning and he is always there, he will set you up.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

X2 on Collette's

Approx 5 years ago I rented from him at Hoople - back then he also had 3 person huts, wood fire going when you get there. I took my son - we were sitting in our t-shirts... and it was -12C outside.

We made a reservation first. About 5 years ago was $35 and the first 12 minnows were included. Fantastic price.

That would be my choice if I was looking for creature comfort... there are decent perch and walleye if you fish the low-light times...
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Perch are always biting there, walleye are harder to find. If you decide on claude, tell him you want a shack on the east side of hoople, better chance of walleye. Lots of gators in there too
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

I'll definitely be taking advantage of fisherguy's offer this winter

@ Hollywood -- haha I knew someone would bust my balls...

@ BA -- I'd love to take you, but they haven't invented one of those memory eraser things from Men In Black yet. ;)

@ nips @ o4t -- thanks, that sounds ideal

E