Electric drill ice auger

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Electric drill ice auger

Post by FowlDawg »

I'm tired of hauling my heavy gas auger when i trek for long walking distances. I was thinking of buying something like a Finn bore 3 or something comparable and rigging it up so i could use my 18v electric drill. I have 3 lithium ion batteries for the drill and i use it often to drill cement and it out lasts me every time. I was wondering if anybody has much experience with that and if those things actually work well? or is it simply better to suck it up and haul the ol jiffy?
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

I have an 18V Makita, the drill/auger attachment and a 6" fin-bore III. Works great!

I also tried it on an 8" fin-bore III, it was fine up to about 8" of ice but now the ice is too thick now so it jams from time to time.
I don't want to burn out my drill (or snap my wrist lol) so I'll keep it on the 6".

I have a back-up battery but I haven't needed it yet.
One battery did over 20 holes in a foot of ice and it still had juice left.
Just remember to keep your batteries warm.

I'll try to post a video review sometime soon on how it works.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

[quote="fiiish"]I
I have a back-up battery but I haven't needed it yet.
One battery did over 20 holes in a foot of ice and it still had juice left.
quote]

Thats amazing! :shock: I always wondered about doing this especialy when fishing brookies in those back lakes... cause who needs a big hole when your fishing brookies???? good to know... I might try it with my fin-bore :)
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Auger/Drill Attachment

Post by baitcaster »

We have carried the Nimrod drill attachment for the ice augers for about 3 years now. We were skeptical at first too but tried it out on a hand auger we had and were quite impressed. You do need a good drill however or will be disappointed. Sounds like that is not an issue.
We have sold quite a few of them over the past 3 years and have had nothing but good reports back.
Hope that helps.

Crystal
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

this really helps thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to try it out for myself. Chrystal do you guys sell Finn bores or Lasers? if so how much for a 8" and how much is the attachment for drill conversion?
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Auguers and Drill Attachments

Post by baitcaster »

Hi FowlDawg,

The drill attachment is $24.95. I have an 8" Swedebore in stock - sells for $109.99. Don't have a Finbore but could get one in a couple of days if my supplier has one in stock - retail is $124.99 on that - you would also get a 10% FishHawk discount on any of the above.
Hope that helps!

Crystal
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

FowlDawg wrote:this really helps thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to try it out for myself. Chrystal do you guys sell Finn bores or Lasers? if so how much for a 8" and how much is the attachment for drill conversion?
Keep in mind if you want to use it on an 8" auger you'll probably need at least a 24V drill or higher for ice deeper than 8".
Any less and you might burn out the drill. Just my opinion.