Constance Lake - Jan 16

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Constance Lake - Jan 16

Post by Duper »

Made it out to Constance Lake this past Sunday with the girlfriend. I figured after I was out-Perched on Meech Lake the day before by my GF and her father 12-0 that I had to redeem myself and we live pretty close to Constance!

It was cold but we braved it. It was my first time there so didn't know what to expect. Used the left over frozen minnows the father-in-law picked up at Bits & Baits the day before and we were set to rock!

Ice was very thick, at least 1.5 feet thick. Lots of permanent shacks and large trucks on the ice so I wasen't worried about driving the Sante Fe out there. We just picked a spot right out in the middle of the lake where there were no other shacks around. Not too far from the launch.

Fished for about 3 hours and I caught 3 small pike (largest about 3 lbs) and 5 perch. The GF had lots of nibbles but her lucky jig head that was nailing them on Meech the day before only brought 2 perch up the hole. Not a bad afternoon overall and lots of fun.

Also heard there are Crappie and Walleye in there ....? Will have to go back another day to try for them.

Hoping to hit The Larry on Saturday for some larger Gators! But we'll see how the ice conditions are
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Nice report, thanks for sharing.
Cheers
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Gotta love Constance!!! Crappie are very spotty there. Although you can't categorically rule out an occassional walleye coming up the creek from the Ottawa they aren't in Constance Lk. The rumours that they are are most likely confusion between Constance Lk and nearby Constance Bay.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Nice report, for sure. It's great to see couples fishing together.

Good on you for being successful on your 1st go at Constance! Loved the pics; dynamite smile! You can tell you both had some fun.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Nice report dude 8)
|Dore|
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

Constance lake is the best! and it's nice to be able to take a short walk and have breakfast at the little restaurant. There is the odd walleye in that lake. about 10 years ago on opening morning for pike in the spring I was trolling to get to another spot and I caught a 8lb Walleye (it's still the biggest walleye I've caught) so we jigged the hole a bit and my old man caught 2 smaller ones around 1 to 2 pounds. I've tried many times since to catch some around that spot and never saw another trace of one. either way it's probably one of the best hammer handle sized pike fishery.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron