Polarized sunglasses

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Polarized sunglasses

Post by banjo »

Anyone have any tips? Favourites? Most affordable?
Are there any that have interchangeable lenses for different conditions?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I've tried expensive ones and I've tried cheap ones. They all blow off my hat into the lake eventually, so I stick to the cheap ones. But I don't really see that big of a difference in them. The $19.95 ones work well for me.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Markus is right,The Rapala polies are great and under 20$ :D Also Excaliber,andStrike King make very durable,and affordable shades 8) Comfort is up to you but the chance of loosing a 125$ pair of Bats or H2 Optics is reall hard on the pocket book :shock:

Just an opinion,I fish the Tributaries alot and very shallow water,So I would offer a tip as to on cloudy days,use the smoke lens,and on sunny days use the Amber lens.

But if I had to chose 1 lens for all conditions it would hands down be the Amber lens 8)

Hope this helps,T.L F.F
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Uh....

Post by Cancatchbass »

Uh... Markus...

They blow off your hat!:shock:

That's why you see little difference between the cheap-o's and the quality ones. You're supposed to wear them so they are positioned in front of your eyes! :lol:

When I guide, I get a lot of anglers with cheapy polarized sunglasses. I'll point out a fish to them (cruising the shallows, or whatever) but try as they might, they just can't see the it. Like most things in life, you gets what you pays for. :lol:

CCB
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I think rookies not seeing them plays a bit of a part too CCB. You are so accustomed to see the fish and you pick them out easily by their shape and movement. Newbies can easily miss them.

I experience this a lot when duck hunting. Some guys can just see the ducks moving over the water earlier then others. it's not always how good their eyesight is, but knowing what to look for...and being conditioned to quickly register what you're seeing.

And as for the glasses... :oops: you're right. They do belong on my face. I remind myself of this everytime I lose them. This is my common occurance - I leave the house early am in the dark, sunglasses are not needed, so up on the hat they go. Get to the boat and I'm shortly there after screaming into the rising sun across the lake. When the sun rises, I reach for my shades....and they're gone! :cry:
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Again agreed with Markus,last year I lost 8 pairs of shades even b4 the sun came up :oops: The tribz can be a hard path to walk considering you have to almost make your own while respecting nature.So trees,bushes,and other obstacles can knock off your shades without you even noticing until its time to put them on when the sun breaks :evil:

So for now like CCb said you gets what you pay for is true,but for the weekend or part time warrior,the cheapies are the way to go 8)Havent failed me yet :D

But heck I would love to have a 200$pair but the wife see's it as "Well you r gonna leave them in somneone's boat or on shore or at the bottom of the drink so the fish can see you 1st :lol: :oops: :lol: ")

T.L F.F
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I don't see a huge difference in the glasses. The expensive ones fit better but I've had the same pair for a year now, and I think there were around 15$. They have a lanyard on them so I just hang them around my neck so they don't blow off my head.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

FLOATFISHIN wrote:The Rapala polies are great and under 20$
... and you get a neat Rapala keychain with them :!: 8)
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Gotta get the good ones :)

Post by JP »

I own a pair of H2 Optics and Blue Water Optics. I have had the cheeper ones in the past and I can tell u there is a huge difference in what u can see with a good pair. Better ones last so much longer and don't get scratched up as easily also they stay on alot better at speed.
U can get a good pair for about $85 in some places and they usually come with a case and lanyard.
See u on the water
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I'll have to agree with ccb and jp on this one.. i've tried the cheap ones and now have 2 pairs of H2Optics and would highly recommend them. If you're the type that loses 8 pairs a year then sure stick to the cheap pairs... If you troll with downriggers at 50+ft then stick to something that looks good as you'll see **** all anyways :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not all lenses are the same so don't bundle them all into the same basket.. $300 rods are that price for a reason.. and polaroids are $100 a pair for a reason too... buy a quaility pair and you'll see fish that others don't. Hmmm but if you're on team 1,2,4,5, or 6 stick with the cheap ones :wink: :wink:
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

FLOATFISHIN wrote: But if I had to chose 1 lens for all conditions it would hands down be the Amber lens.
Totally agree with you on that FF. I've got blue now, had smoke first, but destroyed my amber lenses ocean fishing awhile back. The amber were the best, and I thought they made the outside world look the coolest of all the lenses I've had so far.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Anybody know where those of us who wear prescription glasses can get quality polarized clip-ons?
Saskette
Participant
Participant

Post by Saskette »

Any reconmendations at to where to find a good selection of them in the mid price range...$40-$50? Cheaper works too, but I can't find anywhere that has more than one or two styles and most of them don't fit.
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

You can go to a Optimatrist. My spelling sucks. They would be able to have lip-ons for ya. Or if you want to spend the money you can get a nice pair of sunglasses. That is what I did and it cost me about $250, then I had my benefits cover them. Also got contacts and a pair of sunglasses. But my prescription sunlasses are by far the best................
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I just use contacts and my h2optics.. It's a bit of a hassle but i'm used to it now.