?? Suitable as a ice tent heater??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman_and_fisherboy
Participant
Participant

?? Suitable as a ice tent heater??

Post by Fisherman_and_fisherboy »

Hey All

This is my first post so be gentle lol. I have visited the site often but finally decided to join.

I was looking at a Coleman Perfectflow 1 Burner Stove
as a cheaper alternative to a heater and plus I can heat up drinks at the same time.

Is this a good idea or no? It will be for a 2-3 person sized tent. Any recommendations for any other heaters?

Unlike proper heater I don't think this has any auto shut off features but I am not a -50 kind of fisherman and would only run it intermittently. I don't have any equipment yet but I am looking to ge into ice fishing hopefully before the season is out.

My son and I need some fishing days to tie us over til spring. lol

Thanks in advance for all given advice
Catch it, Record it, Release it, Repeat it
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... 972#351376

here is a discussion that went on a few days ago about heaters
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I've been thinking about this option too as a few weeks back I was in a 4-man pop-up shelter a few weeks back that was heated with a 2 burner stove and it was plenty warm. I'd be using it in a one man flip over and haven't decided if I'm comfortable having an open flame in a confined space.

HTH,
Doug
rdjprice
Participant
Participant

Post by rdjprice »

Hey FishermanandFisherboy,

I used an open flame burner when I started out as well. They are okay if you keep the flame on low, but I can say from experience that you will always be thinking about it in the back of your mind. With 3 people movinga bout in the hut It might be better to set yourself up with a proper heater and be safe while out there, especially if you have your son around.

There are some reasonable options that are a little cheaper than the $100 Mr. Buddy heaters. I use a Martin 7000 btu parabolic heater ($45) in my 1 man flip over and it's plenty warm. Martin also has a 12000 btu unit ($60) that might be a better fit for your hut size. You can check them out at the SAIL store at the Trainyards in Ottawa http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/

The m-300 that I have can be a bit tricky to light in the very cold weather but once its going it works well. On high, a 1lb propane tank lasts about 6 hours.

Cheers and tight lines,

Rp
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Isn't there other cheaper flameless heater options? I still use a srew on propane container heater for the boat in the fall. You still can't get in contact with anything but there is no flame or fumes coming from it.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Yup, I thought about doing the same thing.... But it comes to safety I guess, CO poisoning is a silent killer and although there are plenty of warning signs before it happens, i.e. buring eyes, tingling fingers, headache etc etc, its a chance you take. I have been ice fishing for a few years and rarely use my heater, as I rarely go ut when its colder than -20. I find above -20 and I dont need a heater to warm up.

The cooking part is good, My son has a tank top cooker and we have boiled hot dogs out on the ice, soup as well, that sure helps.

so what I am saying is, ITs your choice... if your going to combine it as a heater/cooker... just make sure you are well ventilated in the shack and pay attention to symptoms. :wink:
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I used a coleman 2 burner stove as a heater last year. The propane tanks tend to freeze, but it does work as a heater in a 4man pop-up shelter. Make sure you open the vents on your tent to avoid co2 poisoning.

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
rdjprice
Participant
Participant

Post by rdjprice »

The Martin 12000 btu unit I mentioned can also be used as a cooker. It's also a nice light weight option for $60.

-Rp
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

I use my Martin 12000 btu in my four man hub it works well. U can take it off the stand for easier transportion and it is a nce cooker too. I buy the blue bottle of propane that can be found in the gas welding section in CT or walmart they are cheaper then the Coleman. I have an adpeter so I can plug it into a 20 lb tanks but hate carrying that around , one tip on that heater would be to put a flat board under it so it doesn't melt they ice so the hub won't be to much water on the ice floor

Chen K
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Where does one get a Martin heater in and around Ottawa. A Google search for "Martin propane heater" only turned up Costco.ca.

Thanx.....
Doug
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

beachburger wrote:Where does one get a Martin heater in and around Ottawa. A Google search for "Martin propane heater" only turned up Costco.ca.

Thanx.....
Doug
Sail has them
rdjprice
Participant
Participant

Post by rdjprice »

Sail at the Trainyards in Ottawa,

I posted a link in my original message.

rp
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

How do you lads transport your Martin 12000 BTU units that can used as a heater or stove with out it getting all bent out of shape? (I transport all my stuff via ATV and it can get bumpy)

Also, is gas control variable or is it 12000 BTU or no BTU ?
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

There are 3 settings low mid and high , u can take the base off from the main unit , and I just put it in the box where I store my ice rods and put my big mittens as a cushion so it won't move around alot but I don't have a snow mobile so I don't know how bumpy it would be

Chen K
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I have a Martin 4010w 10500 btu camping heater that is at least 25 years old and still runs great . It has thermostat control which is nice . You can't cook on it but can warm up things in foil on top of the case . I see that they still sell the exact same one after all these years at Sail but they are quite dear at $227 . Cheers

Smitty