Learned to fly fish...sort of.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Learned to fly fish...sort of.

Post by fish_head »

On Saturday, I went to Carleton U to get my line wet. I ran into a couple guys fly fishing. I asked him how hard it was and he took the time to actually show me how, he even let me use his gear. I just thought that that was really cool. I also told him about this site.....hopefully he checks t out and becomes a member. Either way, just wanted to let you guys know that. I thought it was really cool of him.

Cheers,
fish_head
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Fish_head,

I'm sure that there are a number of fish-hawk flyfishers. I myself am one of them. I got into it last season and haven't looked back since. Smallies are so much more fun to catch on a flyrod.

If I'm on the Rideau you might see me anywhere from Long Island down to Carleton as well.

Cheers,
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I too have dabbled for 7 years, but this year I finally bought my own outfit and have spent my last 3 outings becoming accustomed to this new gear. Taking anything on the fly, especially the flies you yourself have laboured over through the winter months, is certainly one of the most rewarding feelings a fly fisherman can have. Some fly fishers that were once spin/bait fishers never look back. It certainly is a fine way to angle. Stick with it, you'll be glad you did. Don't give up your other means of fishing, but, to be consistent be sure to give this craft its due attention. It'll keep the rust off and the fish in the creel. :)
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Iver personally been fly fishing anf tying for a couple years now. I love it to say the least! I now have 4 fly rods and reels, a 6' 2wt my small stream and panfish rod, a 8'6" 4wt, trout rod, a 9' 5wt, my big water trout rod and a 9' 8wt, my bass and pike rod and hundreds and hundres of dollars invested in fly tying materials and other assorted gear. By far one of my favorite fish to fish for lacoally has to be smallmouth. There's nothing i enjoy more than a day of wet wading the rideau fishing for theses guys. I actually went out yesterday and caught my largest one on a fly rod (and maybe even conventional tackle!), the bass had to be easily over 3 maybe even a 4! other than that i managed a couple over a pound and tons of even smaller ones. All on 3 flies of my own design, a foam slider, a synthetic clouser type streamer and a crayfish imitation. The crayfish imitatation has by far been my best fly this year. The smallies seem to be gorgeing themselves on crayfish at the moment. I used this one fly to catch over half my fish and my biggest so far.
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

My father got me started in flyfishing 40 years ago. . He would take me to the Main Southwest Miramichi River in the Doaktown area of New Brunswick. Our species of choice was the king of all fish the Mighty Atlantic Salmon.
It Be Me

Micheals Landing Pool

There is no greater thrill then hooking an Atlantic Salmon
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Since we've got quite a few guys that fly fish...I was wondering if I could get some recommendations as to what type of equipment to buy....brands, locations etc.

All will be appreciated.

Cheers.
fish_head
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Well, LB's could sell you a decent Fenwick outfit for a couple hundred or
Orvis could sell you their better stuff for a couple thousand.

But, talk to them at Green Drake first, get their catalogue because it will give you ideas of what type of equipment to buy for the type of fishing you plan to do. 8)
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Until this year, for the past 10 years I fly fished for trout all over the Adirondacks in NY state. Gorgeous rivers within a couple hours of Ottawa.

Last fall my wife and I started looking to buy a cottage locally and the waters I grew up fishing suddenly seemed unknown to me.....a challege! so this spring I bought a new Lund and a bunch of new regular gear. I haven't been back to the Adirondacks and I've got a few thousand bucks worth of fly fishing gear gathering dust in my basement...... including hundreds of flies.

If you're interested in buying something PM me. I have rods, reels, vests, wading gear, flies, tippets, leaders....you name it.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Fish_Head,

Fly fishing retailers in Ottawa are few and far between. From my experience you're basically limited to 3 retailers.

Orvis Green Drake - Richmond Rd.
Mike's Fly Shop (in Hammond) - mikesflyshop@sympatico.com
Action Sports - St. Laurent Blvd.

As for what you should get get, it all depends on what sort of fishing you're planning to do.

Are you targeting a specific species? (i.e. trout, bass, pike, stealhead, salmon) Or do you want to target a range of fish? This will dictate the rod weight you would need.

The rod length depends somewhat on the weight but also on the type of water you're fishing. 9' is common length for rivers and open water, with shorter lenghts for lighter line weights and smaller streams, etc where you don't have much room, nor need to cast far.

How many sections? If you do a lot of back woods fishing where you have to haul your gear in, a 4 piece packs nicely, otherwise you can save money and go with a two piece.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."