Fish scent

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fish scent

Post by Hoser »

Any of you folks believe in adding that goop to your lures? I've tried a few times but can't tell if it actually makes a difference or not. Sorry, the board is too big to see if this is a repeat thread.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

I'm a believer!!

Post by JP »

Like u, I thought the hole idea of it was a waste of time, until I started to get serious about Bass fishing. I would go fishing with so friends and we would be using the same bait and throwing it in the same holes at the same time and more times than not, they would hit the sent coated ones. Now, I know this sounds funny, but sent also lubes up your bait so it can slide through heavier cover more easily, thus getting to the fish more often and increasing your strikes. I have tried a hole line of sents but the couple I find work the best for Bass are;
Uncle Joses Garlic sprey(Very oily and Garlicy)
Yum Crawfish(doesn't stay on the baits to long, but strong)
Kick'n Bass(this stuff smells horrible and won't come off in one shower :oops: :lol: if u are unlucky like I was to have a bottle leak in a pocket)

It makes me a more confident angler knowing I may have a trick up my sleave.

Anyway, hope this answers some of your questions.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I use the Kicken bass....love it, takes to tubes like fish to water...try it you will like it...don't spill any in your boat it is nasty stuff in carpet....not to mention when the sun starts to bake it!!!!!!!!!!

bill dance said it best

Post by Guest »

if you take the dish rag out of the sink and hold it out in front of your dog he will more than likely come over and smell it out of curiocity and then walk away, now take that same dish rag and mix it around in a bowl of beef gravy and hold it out to your dog, it may not be a pretty sight but I bet he eats the rag.

it's hard to say for sure if the attractants work because we can't speak fish, but if an $8 bottle of stink makes me more confidant throughout the day and in turn puts more fish in the boat because of it, I'll spend the $8 every time.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Yeppers!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Kick'n Bass garlic! I don't go fishing without it. :lol:

I've proven to myself (and others! :wink: ) many times that it does make a difference.

Ed at Paddletales carries it. Give it a try.

(good on pisketti, too! :lol: )

CCB
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I use scent when salmon fishing...herring scent or anchovie paste..both work..
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

SALMON wrote::D I use scent when salmon fishing...herring scent or anchovie paste..both work..
Is that a fact? I have a 80/20 chance of going to Port Hope with a friend in the next couple of weeks for salmon...where do you get that stuff?
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Trevor,

Love the analogy with the dog. I can just see the look on his face when he smells that 'enhanced' dish rag and the result.

I have been thinking more about this and I think I owe it to myself to try out some scent on my next bass fishing trip. I notice a lot of people mentioning KicknBass Garlic, and I also noticed that another one that seems to be discussed is called MegaStrike. Are either of these good general purpose scent to start out with - I dont want to have to buy 6 different types right off the bat.

One other question to gusy who do use these scents : do you apply them to mostly plastics and jigs, or do you put them on lures like cranks and spinnerbaits ? And what about removing the KicknBass type from lures when its time to restore them in the tackle box - it sounds like its not easy to get off - is this a problem ?

Thanks

Fox
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

I have an other question on this topic.

Let's say I use a Power Bait worm. After fishing it for a while, the worm is still good but I might want to kick the scent up a notch. Does it make a difference if I use let's say Kick n Bass on a Power Bait wich has it's own scent in it :?: :?
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

KnB Garlic

Post by Cancatchbass »

78- What really convinced me to use the Kick'nBass garlic religiously is the fact that I used to use Berkley Power Worms and tubes almost exclusively and found them to be great products.

While crappie fishing one day (on Gan Lake), I wasn't having any luck with the Power tubes, so applied the K'nB garlic, just for the heck of it. Immediately tied into some good fish- I mean on the very first cast. After the action slowed to a stop- I was anchored in my canoe- I figured the school had moved on. I applied more scent and it was game on again!

When I first started catching fish I had 3 other boats move in on me, fishing live bait. They caught nothing and left in disgust after watching me pull out a couple dozen crappie to 14".

I've had similar experiences with the 7" worms.

So- FireFox, to answer your question- the K'nB garlic is an all round good scent and probably all you'll need. I do fish the K'nB craw occasionally, but the smell is unbelievably strong- not for the sensitive types- like me :lol: .

CCB
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

how well and how long does it stay on for?

BASSSTALKER
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Just checked-

Post by Cancatchbass »

I just checked the Huffer (jig trailer) I was using on the Rideau River on Tuesday and the smell is still QUITE strong. :lol:

Caught approx. 20 LM in 6 hours on Tuesday- wonder how the unscented baits thrown by the competition did? :lol:

CCB
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Fish scent

Post by carp-starter »

A long time ago there was a fishing program on TV out of BC. The fisherman was Charlie White and he always used a boat and an underwater camera to see how the fish reacted.

One program was about scent and they tested out scent from various companies. Comparions were made as to which scent was better.

They then tried WD-40 and found it to be the best in catcching fish.

Finally they took a towel and saturated it with the junk in the bilge and applied it to their lure. They found out that the bilge stuff caught fish the best and it was free.

carp-starter
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Yeah, but!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Not THE Charlie White from B.C.? :? :lol:

You just keep using the WD-40 and the bilge-slop if you want.

I'll stick to my K'nB, thanks...

CCB
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Fish Scent

Post by carp-starter »

Hi Cancatchbass

Yes, it is the Charlie White from B.C.

I do not use scent. I do not really believe in it. But I do have 3 bottles from Berkley (trout, pike and bass) and one other bottle. I am keeping them just in case I see the light from the sky and may start ussing it.

What I do not like about scent is that it leaves a film on the surface of the water in the same way that gasoline in water would. I guess the polution is not much but still........

carp-starter