Seeleys Bay area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
surge
Participant
Participant

Seeleys Bay area

Post by surge »

Will be bringing my two sons (ages 13 and 9) up to Seeleys Bay area beginning July 24. Wonder if anyone knows of any good holes where they'll catch some nice bass. We fish the Seeleys Bay area, Whitefish Lake and south into Cranberry Lake. Thanks for your help in advance.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Hi...I have fished Cranberry/Dog/Whitefish for years. These lakes are a bass factory but there getting hammered pretty hard these days. Some folks who run a lodge on Cranberry told me there's been a bass tournament every weekend. Usually by August things quiet down.

That being said you can still pick your favourite technique and chances are you can have pretty decent fishing no matter what you do. Largemouth are by far the most dominant species. If you like seeing a bass bust a weedless spoon or Rat in thick shallow weeds? you'll have some great action. Like fishing deep weedlines with crankbaits, tubes or a Texas rigged worm you should kill'em. If you like flippin to shoreline junk and tangles get ready....do you get the idea?

A couple of sure fire patterns; Right in the village of Seeley's Bay there's a bay(duh..lol) that gets clogged with duckweed (floating goop that looks like green confetti). make sure you have a stout baitcaster with at least 14lb line and a Moss Boss. Drag that Moss Boss over the goop and watch big bass bust holes in it trying to get it. Set the hook hard and get cranking. Another one....go up into the deeper end of Dog and find some deep (10-15 ft) beds of coontail weed (looks like green pipe cleaner or chenille). Use the same outfit with a 1/2 ounce weedless jig and craw. Dunk it into the dark holes in the weeds. Let it settle to bottom and hop it a few times...pick it up and drop it into another hole. Keep a good grip on the rod, with such short line out sometimes they'll jar you pretty hard. Again set the hook hard and get cranking.

If you have a smaller boat there are a couple of side waters you can get into but i'll have to pm with those.... and you'll have to swear on oath to secrecy.........lol. they're much too valuable to blurb out in an open forum.
surge
Participant
Participant

Seeleys Bay area

Post by surge »

Thanks ganman, I appreciate all your help. I'm just trying to make sure my kids have a good time -- I want to keep bringing them back for years to come!
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Good post GanMan.

Since you are from my neck of the woods, we should get out some time. Maybe we could hit Gananoque or Dog Lake.

By the way, on Gananoque lake, on the North East side, there is a creek that according to the map goes to Black Rapids. I went up a bit thinking rapids and smallies can be a good mix. But I turned around before I could see what is up there. Is it worth going through? Is that the way to an other lake?
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Not Ganman...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Not Ganman, but know the area. :lol:

If you continue through Black Rapids- some rocks there to watch out for, but no smallies that I've ever run across- you'll get to Red Horse, the next lake in the chain. Some good smallies and trout in Red Horse, but not too easy to locate.

CCB
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Thanks CCB.

I might give it a try.

Also, reading the posts over the last few days convinced me to give Charlston Lake a try soon