Quinte Feb 6th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quinte Feb 6th

Post by JimW »

My buddy and I made the trek down to Quinte early Sunday morning. This is getting to be a regular thing..... 7th trip since November..... leave my house 3am.... pick up buddy.... drive to Quinte.... fish.... fish.... drive home.... got home early this time 10 pm Sunday night.

My buddy has never fished the bay before, so I was hoping he would have some luck, unfortunately all he caught was a few perch.

We were out with the guys from G2 Angling, which is always a good time, even if the fish aren't biting.

The snow Saturday night made the conditons pretty messy out there lots of snow, slush and water.

We set up on the edge of a nice break but after a few hours of only a few small perch we moved a few hundred yards to try another spot and get out of some of the slush.

Once set up again we started marking fish on the Vex but no bites, I figured they were all perch so to check I downsized my presentation to a 1/8 oz Northland Fish Fry Minnow with a minnow head on the hook, which I used a few weeks ago on the bay and nailed the jumbo perch.

Instantly after downsizing I get a fish on!! Thinking it is a monster perch I end up icing 1.5 pound walleye for the fist eye of the day. :D

Back down my bait goes.... jig.....jig..... fish on...... shortly a nice 3+ pound eye joins his friend on the ice.

Throughout the day I mark a decent number of fish on the Vex most probably perch. I switched up my presentation to a small "white perch" jigging rap type bait with a minnowhead and instantly have a fish on but lose it, a few minutes later I land a nice sized silver bass.

I switch between my fish fry spoon and small jigging rap the rest of the day landing a few 10" perch and a few small ones. Mid afternoon I get a decent hit on my jigging rap but lose the fish about 5 feet rom the ice. I open the bail and watch my bait fall on the Vex and watch the fish head back to the bottom after the bait. My bait hits bottom .... I close the bail and set the hook.... this time another 3+ pound eye joins the other 2 on the ice.

Unfortunately the late afternoon bite was dead.

In the end I ended up with 3 walleye, 2 silver bass, 5 jumbo perch, a bunch of small perch and I lost a herring or whitefish at the hole.

A big thanks to fish-hawker hook&shoot who let me borrow his FL18 so my buddy could use my FL8. This was the first time I have used a Vex with the zoom feature for a whole day and the zoom is awesome for those bottom hugging Quinte eyes. Definitely upgrading my FL8 next year.

One last trip to Qunite planned for Feb 19th with 6 of my high school students, still looking for my first 10 pounder of 2011.

JimW

seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

Wow great job sounds like an eventful day! Some nice perch there.
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

Well done Jim.
Our group of 4 were also with G2 and had pretty much the same sort of day. Marked fish all day but had a hard time enticing them to bite. My girlfriend lost a nice walleye at the hole but that was it for big fish.

We did get some very nice jumbo perch though. Overall we brought home 2 walleye about 2lbs each and 16 jumbos. Got a nice bag of fillets to cook up one of these days.

I will also be heading back down for a day but don't know when yet. When I figure it out I will post and maybe some fish-hawker will want to join me as I have a 2 man hut and no company as yet.
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

nice n fat they are.thanks for the pics and story
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great report 8) Good job ! Hope you catch a 10+ next time !
|Dore|
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

good work man! way to ice some eyes during a really tough wknd bite.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Bronze Participant

Post by karma »

Great job on the fishing Jim, nice varriety!
Lawrence Gunther
Founder - Blind Fishing Boat
Host - The Blue Fish Radio Show
and Feel the Bite TV
President - Blue Fish Canada
Web: http://www.LawrenceGunther.com
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

As Karma mentioned, that's quite the variety. Your impression of a slower day's take would still be a mind blower for someone like me on the ice. :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good report Jim - nice walleye!!