Norcan Lake report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Norcan Lake report

Post by tinbanger »

Pikeie and I travelled to Norcan Lake last Friday night. about a 4 hour drive from home but paved road all the way except the last km or so to the MNR launch on the north shore of the Madawaska river on Green Landings Rd.
Almost dark when we arrived so fished from shore for a bit then slept in van .
Woke up with sore backs and got the boat in the water.
Fished the river for an hour or so .Pikie got into a good sized Pike but lost at the boat.
Decided to move into Norcan proper and fished the first stump filled bay on the east side.No luck but came across a dead ,good sized LM with a lure still atached that had trapped itself by wrapping the line around an underwater log . Was only in about 2' FOW .Kinda makes you think about checking after having a line break!
Late morning we traveled back to the launch and loaded gear , tent etc .
Quick trip down to the south end of the lake , dropped gear off , and hit a large stump filled bay in the south end .
Quiet start , then about 3 pm started to catch some fish , kept 3 for dinner .
Had great shore dinner then back across the bay .
In the next 2-3 hours we boated over 25 LM most in the 13-15" range.All released.
Almost all where caught on 7" Pumkinseed Powerbait worm , texas rigged no weight ,Cast and dragged thru the stumps . Caught one on a buzz bait .
ran out of the Pumkinseed and had some luck with Purple/black Storm Rattle worms.
Haven't had as much fun fishing in a while!

Mosquitos forced us back to tent by dark .
Good nights sleep ( Canadian Shield more comfy than the mini van floor!)
Pikeie tried out the fly rod for a bit of a challenge.
Fished the same stump filled bay that a.m. without one fish ! (Where did everyone go?)
Worked our way back to the launch as we had to leave by noon .
Another Pike on in the river upstream from the launch , but cut thru the mono leader .

All in all a good trip .I have hunted out of a camp that is within 500m from Norcan for over 20 years and this was the first time fishing it , will definatly be back.
Fishing pressure appears to be moderate on the lake and adjoining river ,most times you have a boat or 2 within view .

Thanks to Snag This for the tips re worms and fishing locations.
Thanks to Pikeie for fiquring out how to post pics!

Tinbanger
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Hey looks like you guys had a great time!!!!
Hey that Snag..she knows her stuff!!!!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Canadian Bacon wrote:Hey looks like you guys had a great time!!!!
Hey that Snag..she knows her stuff!!!!
:lol: :lol: I don't know much but I know that lake well enough for bass after spending one great weekend there and having a friend whose fished there all his life.

Too bag about the pike, we caught a couple there but mostly bass. My buddies uncle caught a real nice size pike while trolling for Walleyes.

One of the locals says its a great spot for Eyes but my friend who has a camp there says he thinks otherwise. I guess it all depends on the fisherman.

I'm real happy you had a great time! I'm hoping to head back there sometime this season.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Don't let her kid ya..she knows her stuff!!!!!!!!