Warning....PETA !

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

A quote from the PETA site.

"Imagine reaching for an apple on a tree and having your hand suddenly impaled by a metal hook that drags you— the whole weight of your body pulling on that one hand—out of the air and into an atmosphere in which you cannot breathe. This is what fish—who have well-developed pain receptors —experience when they are hooked for “sport.” "

"Promoting fishing teaches young people that hooking, maiming, suffocating, and killing is acceptable. This is a dangerous lesson, one that hurts not only the fish struggling for their lives at the end of a hook, but all of us. According to FBI profilers, the American Psychiatric Association, law enforcement officials, and child advocacy organizations, cruelty to animals is a warning sign often seen in people who eventually direct violence toward humans. In fact, published reports show that in every single case of recent school shootings, there has been one consistent factor: All the young killers abused or killed animals before turning on their classmates."

These people need to get a life.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I can't believe what I have just read. These people desperately need to get a life!!!!!! So help me, if anyone of these clowns tried to mess with my fishing stuff they would be treated to a very large can of WHUPASS!!!!!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
ManInBlackForever
Participant
Participant

Post by ManInBlackForever »

http://www.nofishing.net/

There thats the link to the Official PETA Anti-Fishing website, that will tell you why what has happened, happened.

And one Anti PETA Website
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/ad_petaMom.cfm

And another
http://www.animalscam.com/ads.cfm

Ooh same site but different...
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/ad_petaFire.cfm

Animal Wrongs
Posted On April 1, 2004
"We definitely did have plans to use violence against hunt people. But that got thwarted by our arrest ... I remember seriously wanting to go along those lines." In a chilling interview, Animal Liberation Front (ALF) miscreant John Curtin discusses burning buildings, raiding laboratories, desecrating graves, and plotting violence against people -- all tactics in ALF's vicious pursuit of animal rights. When asked if he ever received support from the above-ground "animal rights movement" while serving jail time for his crimes, Curtin responds: "The two are inseparable, really. [An] enormous amount of support ... sometimes an embarrassing amount of support."

America's most notorious animal rights fugitive is still on the run from authorities. Daniel Andreas San Diego has been featured prominently on America's Most Wanted and is sought in connection with the 2003 bombings of the Chiron and Shaklee Corporations in California. He is even accused of leaving a "secondary device," timed to go off once fire and rescue workers arrived on the scene. San Diego allegedly targeted those companies because of their business ties with a laboratory that uses animals in pursuit of cures for AIDS, breast cancer, and Parkinson's disease. According to the FBI, San Diego penned threatening emails directed at both companies under the moniker "Revolutionary Cells":

We left an approximately 10lb. ammonium nitrate bomb strapped with nails outside of Shaklee Inc ... All customers and their families are considered legitimate targets ... You never know when your house, your car even, might go boom. Who knows, that new car in the parking lot might be packed with explosives. Or maybe it will be a shot in the dark ...
We will now be doubling the size of every device we make. Today it is 10lbs, tomorrow 20 ... until your buildings are nothing more than rubble.

A court-ordered search of San Diego's apartment turned up several horrifying items, including ammonium nitrate and methyl ethyl ketone (the two chief ingredients in Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma City bombing); an empty handgun case; several boxes of Black Talon 9mm "cop killer" bullets; books on bombs, fire, and animal rights; ALF t-shirts; a book called "Joy of Revenge"; and copies of violence-oriented activist videos produced by PETA grantee Josh Harper.

Two years ago, animal rights activist Volkert Van der Graaf gunned down Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn just days before a scheduled election. The BBC reported at the time that he was "angered by Mr. Fortuyn's stated plan to lift restrictions on fur farming if elected."

Infamous Animal Liberation Front ringleader and convicted arsonist Rodney Coronado is another violent face of the animal rights movement. In 1995, Coronado was sentenced to 57 months in federal prison for the 1992 arson of a Michigan State University research laboratory. In a 2002 speech, Coronado openly confessed to at least six other arsons. Now Coronado conducts a sort of terrorist lecture circuit. Last year he demonstrated for a crowd of college radicals the "correct" way to build a firebomb out of household materials. Like John Curtin, Coronado also has "enormous" support from the animal rights movement. While the FBI was intensively investigating Coronado, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gave him over $70,000 in outright grants and forgiven "loans" from its tax-exempt coffers.

Tonight at 10pm (all times zones) on the Showtime cable network, all this and more will come to light in a hilarious yet devastating half-hour documentary. "Penn and Teller: Bullsh*t" will debut its second season by shining a bright spotlight on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The Center for Consumer Freedom is featured prominently in this groundbreaking series that "debunks popular shams and scams."

Even PETA's self-styled "total press sluts" would probably prefer to avoid this type of publicity. Especially when it exposes their own little scam, and the part it plays in America's "domestic terror" plague.

And the best for last
http://www.peta-sucks.com/main.htm

Tommy
ManInBlackForever
Participant
Participant

Post by ManInBlackForever »

Ottawa Animal ADvoates Monthly Meeting Protest?

Monthly Meeting
The next OAA meeting is scheduled for Thursday July 22nd to be held at 7:30pm at the Wild Oat, 819 Bank St. in the Glebe. Please note that meetings should no longer be considered as being held on the third Thursday of the month as some months contain five Thursdays. Please refer to this posting for exact dates.

http://members.rogers.com/ottawa.animal ... events.htm

Tommy

Well do with this what you see fit... its your area.
http://216.197.111.89/public/folder_vie ... lderid=725
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

PETA

Post by Tonyb »

I just joined the "Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters" the other day. Reason for joining is so they can lobby our government to counter the dys-information campaigns put out by PETA and their pseudo-scientific sympathisers. Don't know if I'm allowed to put a link to their web site so just do a search. We've got to do more than just complain about these people, they are trying to take away our right to fish, and if thats not possible, take away our right to use lead and brass tackle...
TonyB :evil:
The bigger, the better!
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Simmer »

god bless you fish-head for showin restraint. i don't care if my fiance was there praying with the pope, don't know if i could of held back from showin them REAL cruelty to animals if they touched my gear. good for you....
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Sorry to hear fish-head.

Start keeping the filet knife at your hip. If not for use just for detterent.
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN TROUBLE!!!

Post by AverageAngler »

A stranger touching my tackle is "GROUNDS" in my books!!!! Oh my god... :evil: :evil: :evil:

As for the crime, yes it is. If you really believed that you where in any danger or harm then a crime has been committed! Contact Police...some these PETA LOSERS may be wanted on outstanding charges/warrants etc.. It would be in the best interest of the police to investigate these morons!

Good thing you kept your cool, because like I said....THATS GROUNDS!!! I cant tell you honestly what I would have done. One thing is for sure, they would never touch another box that wasnt theres again!
Cheers'
--AA--
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

In the movie Finding Nemo there is a PETA line (I believe they supported the movie in some way) 'fish are are friends not our food'. When my son 3 1/2 at the time heard that he immediately came running to me saying "that's not true dad, fish are our food too!". I felt quite relieved that this type of brain washing through a cartoon didn't work. I teach my kids to respect all creatures and also that it is ok to harvest wildlife when done humanely and with respect.

JasonM
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

Hey guys;

PETA can be a pain int he a&^. When I was working at Bell, I would have three of them on me all the time about fishing and hunting. They would bring in the pictures of animals and phpamlets about what I am doing.

I only had on response to them, besides going to the manager about harrassment. But when they would show me a skinned animal I would look at it and say "That would be good on the BBQ"

But as for them throwing tackle box. That is like touching family. wouldn't of let that happen. Hopefully it doesn't again.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

I also beleive you were the smartest by avoiding confrontation. For what it's woth, here is the Criminal Code's position on use of force an protection of personal property.

Criminal Code
PART I
Defence of Person

Self-defence against unprovoked assault
34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

Extent of justification
(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if

(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

36. Provocation includes, for the purposes of sections 34 and 35, provocation by blows, words or gestures.

Defence of Person
Preventing assault
37. (1) Every one is justified in using force to defend himself or any one under his protection from assault, if he uses no more force than is necessary to prevent the assault or the repetition of it.

Extent of justification
(2) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to justify the wilful infliction of any hurt or mischief that is excessive, having regard to the nature of the assault that the force used was intended to prevent.

Criminal Code
PART I
Defence of Property

Defence of personal property
38. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of personal property, and every one lawfully assisting him, is justified

(a) in preventing a trespasser from taking it, or

(b) in taking it from a trespasser who has taken it,

if he does not strike or cause bodily harm to the trespasser.

Assault by trespasser
(2) Where a person who is in peaceable possession of personal property lays hands on it, a trespasser who persists in attempting to keep it or take it from him or from any one lawfully assisting him shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.

Loud and clear :!: :?: :?
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Rescue and all this too

322. (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently and without colour of right takes, or fraudulently and without colour of right converts to his use or to the use of another person, anything, whether animate or inanimate, with intent

(a) to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the thing or of his property or interest in it;

(b) to pledge it or deposit it as security;

(c) to part with it under a condition with respect to its return that the person who parts with it may be unable to perform; or

(d) to deal with it in such a manner that it cannot be restored in the condition in which it was at the time it was taken or converted.

Time when theft completed
(2) A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable

and this

494. (1) Any one may arrest without warrant
(a) a person whom he finds committing an indictable offence; or

(b) a person who, on reasonable grounds, he believes

(i) has committed a criminal offence, and

(ii) is escaping from and freshly pursued by persons who have lawful authority to arrest that person.

Arrest by owner, etc., of property
(2) Any one who is

(a) the owner or a person in lawful possession of property, or

(b) a person authorized by the owner or by a person in lawful possession of property,

may arrest without warrant a person whom he finds committing a criminal offence on or in relation to that property.

Delivery to peace officer
(3) Any one other than a peace officer who arrests a person without warrant shall forthwith deliver the person to a peace officer.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 449; R.S., c. 2(2nd Supp.), s.

This means if they take, try t oremove you can arrest. Like Averageangler002 said most of these crap have outstanding warrents and such. Be carefull!

BASSSTALKER
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Update

Post by fish_head »

I went back. No one was there. I went over to Carleton U and fishedhere for about 2 hours. No one there. Made my way over to the Rideau Canal, right by Ottawa U, there, I found some. These people however were not at all like the others I encountered. These people actually heard me out !The confrontation so to speak lasted about 2 hours, I guess a better word for it would be conversation. I told them what happened to me and one guy said his little brother told a different side of the story, but nontheless, he agreed that it was out of line.

Conclusion:

Educated PETA members, really educated ones (not educated on one topic) actually know that there are 2 sides to a story. It was a pleasant experience. They also told me the same thing, that if it were to happen again, to just phone the police...oh well, I'll be on the lookout for 'em anyway.

Cheers !