Urban Fishing Project, Sharbot, Birdnests...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Urban Fishing Project, Sharbot, Birdnests...

Post by tallpaul »

Hey everyone,

Have been lurking for quite some time, but figured I'd start making a few posts where I can to ask some questions and maybe (ya, right) even answer some. :) Its been said before, but let me reiterate that this is a great board with great people. First bit about me... if you didn't know it already, by the end of this you will know that I'm long winded when trying to type out thoughts/questions... usually in an effort to be clear... but usually having the opposite effect. I also type quick and don't often check for mistakes... auto-correct on microsoft products has made me lazy(ier). :)

First question is concerning the Urban Fishing Project... something I'm interested in big time since I don't have a boat... or a car for that matter (I do have a motorcycle, so I can get to spots fairly easily on nice days...). Anyway... the other maps are great, and was just wondering what the status of this project was? I haven't done much fishing around town (Ottawa) yet... but would like to... and if needed, I'd help out where I could.

Second is Sharbot Lake. I had a look at the map... I'm going camping (fishing) there this weekend... but I'm not sure where the campground is on that map? If someone could help point it out to me, that'd be great... I'd like to know where to head while I'm there (from shore, and with a canoe rental). :)

Finally - I fish with a spinning set-up... my shimano reel is well over 10 years old now, but still works like a charm (amazing how long things will last when they're under-used :? ). I've fished pretty much entirely with spinning reels and rods... never more than 8lb-mono (strictly catch and release, so I've never "worried" about losing fish, except the guilt of leaving them with a hook :( ). Anyway, for the fishing I do, it works like a charm. A couple years ago I started looking into baitcasters, but lack of time, $$ and hearing about birdnests steered me clear. It's something I'd like to revisit though... maybe for the fall when i'd like to get a few bigger fish. Anyway... it just sounds to me like it would take the "fun" out of it... and make it too easy to over power fish with stiff rods, and heavy braided lines?

Thanks for reading!

cheers,
tallpaul
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Tallpaul...
Welcome!
The Provincal Park is directly North (Above) Green Island in the map of Sharbot Lake. I have only ever fished Lake Trout on the lake...if you use a heavy 1oz white tube jig on bottom along the North West shore of Green Island you may get lucky and get a laker otherwise the shorelines around Green Island is good for small mouth bass. FYI...The section of water between the Park and Green Island is 90ft deep :wink:

I am sure others will post some help...

Have fun camping and fishing.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Welcome TP...
With regards to a Baitcaster and braided lines....it's not that we are taking advantage of the fish or taking the fun out of it but it gives us betteror more options. For example...the 8lb mono you are using right now will never get you through heavy slop when fishing for LM. The Reels themselves give you better feel better accuracy and reels in much smoother and quicker if deemed necessary. Birds nests...oh yes it happens....but I find a little patience pays of when you do get one....hint don't cast into the windwith a alight bait.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hey TallPaul,

If you are camping at Sharbot Lake P.P. you wont be directly on Sahrbot Lake...you are on Black lake....a small sheltered lake with some nice fish in it....

I was there about a month ago and nailed a bunch of smallies when the sun was down...the water is gin clear...so they were out over about 40 to 50 feet of water...feeding on the surface...you cant miss them....they seem to hunt in packs... :lol: ...surface baits pitched right back where they boiled on the surface paid off big time...

Here's a sample...step-son Nick with a nice smallie

Let us know how you do!

RJ
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

TallPaul,

Welcome, Was at Sharbot lake from the 14th JUL-18JUL

Black lake is slow but rent a canoe and fish the banks were the beaches are. As for Sharbot, take the road down to the end and there you will have two area's to fish. The one on your left ,we have nailed a few nice bass on senkos and spooks. The docks on your left, People have caught lakers from that dock on spoons. It's 40 ft 10ft out. Be creative

BASSSTALKER
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey TallPaul,

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.Net Hawk Talk. It's a pleasure to have you here....and thanks for the kind words. We really do have the best of anglers come to this site.

The Urban fishing project is coming along nicely. My brother is actually the guy who is doing it with a few more. It'll be coming soon.

I'm going to call him right now.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks...

Post by tallpaul »

Bobber... thanks for following up on it. I'm just eager to see it. :)

re Sharbot - so Black Lake is not part of the Sharbot lake map shown on this site? oh well... I'm sure I'll find some place to fish while I'm there. :) thanks for the tips. :-) hopefully they're still feeding off the top like that... although whatever they were feeding on could be gone by now!

Canadian Bacon - I wasn't attacking anyone in saying it might be over-powering (that wasn't me harrassing the guy fishing!).... I dunno... I've just always managed with my gear and had a lot of fun in the "challenge" should I hook something big (or near trees or weeds). :) never fished for LM the way you described though... but I can understand the need in that case. :) different tools for different jobs (and folks).

Maybe I should put this in a new post... but a couple weeks ago, I saw an article in the paper (Ottawa Citizen?) about a woman who was fishing with her grandchild off the shore of some local water and she had her dog with her. I believe the dog was tied to a tree at the time. She got fined (by MNR guys I think) for having the dog tied too close to the water? I thought someone might have referenced it here at some point... but I can't find it here, or anywhere else for that matter. anyone have any insight on this? where I could find the (by)law on this?

2 more hours... :)

tallpaul
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Tall Paul, Yes it is true. Some one had a brain fart and thought there was something wrong with having a dog near the Ottawa River. Unbelievable ah. What could a dog do that is so wrong to the Ottawa River. I know...It generates cash for some more add scams.....

What is this city coming to were a dog cannot be near the Ottawa??

BASSSTALKER
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Welcome to FH, tallpaul !! :D

With regard to the dog being tied to close to the river, hence the fine:

Have I said this before: just when I think I've heard it all.....blah, blah, blah. Is there anyone out there that can give justification to this action? Proposterous & ridiculous. But I'm always open to other points of view. Just what IS an acceptable length to tie up the evil canines? Is this posted near the river for dog owners to observe?

Is a little doggie doo-doo on the shoreline the crux of all this? If so, I say "poo-poo" to that. :?

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Sharbot/Black Lake

Post by tallpaul »

Follow-up on my trip to Sharbot! :)

Fished for quite a while on Saturday... rented a canoe and went over to Sharbot lake via the portage from Black Lake (first caught one rock bass and had on a small bass that shook the hook out, then went to sharbot). Once at Sharbot... nothing! windy day, so we headed for some shelter around islands to fish, but didn't get anything. my friend caught two small smallies, and I had one on that again, shook the hook (sense a trend here?). :? anyway, fishing wasn't great, but the swimming looked good, so in I went. Headed back to camp for a late lunch.
went out fishing again around 6:00 or so... nothing except one perch, that I again somehow managed to lose! anyway... paddled around a little more and fished with no luck... then... (TSN turning point right here)... we decide to head back to the boat launch and along the way, I take a few more casts... SLURP! something takes my jitterbug... a few leaps and strong pulls later, I have my biggest largemouth bass ever by the boat and in my grasps (I was just waiting for it to shake the hook!). Got it out cleanly and snapped some pictures. Maybe when I get them developed (and they turn out alright), then scanned, and I learn how to post a picture, I'll share it! Anyway... no measurements were taken ( I have neither tape nor scale)... but if I had to guess, I'd say about 18"-20" and 3.5-4.0 lbs. that's just a guess though... airing on the "light" side I think.
Anyway... even after a slow day... ending it on that note makes it all worthwhile. :)

Cheers,
tallpaul
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

baitcasters

Post by Jigs »

HMMMMMMMMM :roll:

Casting into the wind with a light lure using a baitcaster........ :shock:

Wherever have I heard that before :? ?

Sounds like something only a dolt like Jigs would do. :oops:

Oh well, the reels are gone where the good baitcasters go (SOLD)

Spent the money on beer, and a new SPINNING reel.

Gotta love that Bacon. :wink:

Regards: Jigs. :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I guess no Smallies on the surface then?...too bad... :(

Nice Bucketmouth..can't wait to see pics!

RJ
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

RJ

Post by tallpaul »

Probably returned the canoe right when the SM surface fishing would have started up. Can't say I saw much action (swirls) on the surface at that time.... that's not to say the fishing wouldn't have been alright though, I just never tried my luck. After catching the LM, I decided to call it a night and end on a good note. Should finish the film this weekend and then develop it next week, and then find a scanner... etc, etc... :-) just hope they turn out! :? and I hope the photos don't make my estimates seem generous!! :wink:

tallpaul
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

RJ/Tallpaul, when I was there nothing was was hitting topwater :cry:

BASSSTALKER
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I must have hit them during a fly hatch or something... :D