When to keep, when to CPR?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

When to keep, when to CPR?

Post by DaveH »

For the most part I plan on being a CPR fisher...but on occasion, I'd like to bring the occasional fishy home for some grub... What do you guys reccommend for keeper sizes for Bass and Pike (I doubt I'll be cathing any walleye anytime soon)
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm....

Post by Cancatchbass »

It's probably a personal preference deal, but my guess on the pike would be in the 24-28" range. For bass, I don't see a need to keep anything over 14". Good size fillets and no shortage of bass in the 12-14" range.

A lot depends on the waters, too, as one lake's "keeper" could be another lake's quality spawner.

CCB
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

I would agree with CCB, that the actual size should vary from water to water depending on the general size of the fish in that body of water.
I release anything I feel is larger than average and I keep average to slightly smaller than average fish, letting the babies go.

Also, if you keep the smaller fish they have less toxins built up in their system which is very important when feeding fish to children.

JasonM
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Kingmann makes a good point which I have mentioned before. The larger / older the fish, the more concentrated the toxins, such as leads and metals, will be in its flesh. Again, maybe not a big deal for the mature person, but for a child this could be potentially harmful. (And for expectant mothers, as well.)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

MNR publishes a really good (free) book every second year showing toxin levels of all game fish of varying sizes in most every lake and river in Ontario
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

With regards to toxins, follow the Ontario guide to eonsuming fish and you'll be fine. As far as size, I'd recomend trying a few small ones and a few bigger ones. the big ones are ok, but you'll soon learn what size fish satisfies you palate the best.

Don't let anyone try to convince you that big fish are taboo to keep. It's your own preference. The Ontario Regs will provide you a slot limit if they deem a fishery is in need of mature fish.

Enjoy your catches. Ontario has a wide range of fish species and with this comes a wide range of fish dinners! Have fun preparing them in different ways. Fishing is my favorite hobby, cooking them follows in a close second.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Markus,

Share some of those receipes with us if you don't mind. I am always looking for new ideas.

Maybe this should be a new topic.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

One of my favorite places to get new recipies is fishing magazines. Every month, there's something new to try. I found this one fish stew recipe I love.

RJ asked for a few walleye recipes as well, so I'll try and put something together.
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Markus wrote:
Fishing is my favorite hobby, cooking them follows in a close second.

Those are words that warm my heart!

JasonM