Gonna try my luck again...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gonna try my luck again...

Post by DaveH »

Well I'm gonna try my luck again at the locks at Long Island tomorrow morning, and maybe head down to the Bronson bridge area if I'm not getting anything...

If you're out tomorrow morning, keep an eye open for the chubby guy with glasses sporting a brand new Fish-hawk cap!!!

And if anyone cares to show a rookie what to do from shore or whatever, I'll be out at the locks by about 6:30am tomorrow! (unless it's pouring)

Cheers!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Well sry I wont be out to help you Dave but a few options I can offer on here though :D If you head to Bronson,do the strech(as we like to call it)Walk towards the university and look for deeper pockets,alot of bushes and trees but you can find little paths to make your way down.The weeds are pretty thick and the water may be higher than last time I was out,which will be a good thing.Try under the bridge with shallow running cranks,the bottom will eat your tackle pretty quick :shock: Also try jigs (Smoke is my fav)And if you go up past the rapids try tubes(dark green and smoke)In and above the rapids,also original rapala's will do.Lots of smallies a few of good size,Muskie are there but hard to get,walleye are always there but pretty finaky,slow down or speed up your retrieve to see what they want 8) Over fished spot but 95% of the time I will land a few.

Hope this helps Dave,T.L F.F
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Cool!! Thanks FF... I'll definitely give that a try!!

I should get myself some waders....

Ahhhhhhhhh yep...and who said fishing was cheaper than golfing??
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Actually Dave this time of year an old pair of runners with some tread sould be fine.The water temp is comfotable to walk in.Waders,well they are always good I have 2 pairs right now but find unless you wear breathable waders in the summer you r going to be very uncomfortable in neoprenes :shock:

Lemme know if you need any info on gettin some waders,may be able to help you find a deal :D

T.L F.F
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Again, thanks!! I will...

Maybe i'll try using some old sneaks I have at home (and bring a change so I don't mess up the car and end up getting grounded!!)

Well I'm tempted to just head out to Bronson tomorrow morning now...I'll only have a few hours to fish, so maybe that's where I'll try, instead of my unlucky attempts at Long Island *L*
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

DaveH,

Felt soled shoes are a must given how slippery the algae makes the rocks. If you only have old sneakers, be sure to step carefully.

As for fishing spots, if you're going to wade, the back channel at Long Island is great for bass (mostly smallies but the occasional LM). I caught a couple 2lb'ers the other weekend.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

What part is the back channel?

Pretend I'm standing at the top of the locks...or on one of the docks just south of that...
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The "Back Channel" as it's commonly referred to is the free flowing section of the Rideau between the "Mill" and the lower end of Long Island. If you're parking at the locks, you will have to walk around to the other side of the bay. You can access the channel from either side of the water control dam.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Ahhh ok I haven't tried that area...*adds it to my list*

Cheers!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

DaveH,

What's with the ultra early day on the water? Are you working tomorrow or do you just like to fish in the mornings? Persoanlly I enjoy fishing in the evenings and can take advantage of any current hatches. Not to mention switching over to fish eyes if I'm in the right place with the right gear.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Well I generally fish early mornings so that I still have the rest of the day to do things with my wife if she doesn't want to fish!!

Evenings are harder for me to get out as we usually have something planned, or we have a lot of work to do around our new house...Ahhhh finally we have sod... can't wait to fire up my new lawn mower for the first time *laughs*
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

DaveH,

Ahhhh...gotcha. Well the action has been great in the back channel this weekend. There's about a dozen good spots that hold lots of smallmouth. I'm guessing if you count all the little ones, rock bass, etc. I caught in excess of 75 fish this weekend. A good 15-20 were 10" or better. Caught my best fish of the season today, a nice 17" smallmouth. There are some pigs in there, you just have to look for them litterally. I saw the 17"er 6' from me and just driffed my fly right past. Can't beat a good pair of polarized sunglasses!

I'll normally start out with smaller baits and move up if the larger bass ignore them. At least with the smaller ones you'll still get lots of 10" fish. Better than getting scunked trying to catch the hog. LOL