What is the all around best kind of line to use on a reel?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sevendustfan#1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What is the all around best kind of line to use on a reel?

Post by sevendustfan#1 »

Any opinions?
Last edited by sevendustfan#1 on Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Pends on the fish you r after.....All lines even Fireline I have put on my spinning outfits in the past.Try to start with a 8 to 12lb mono,Trilene xt and xl are great to put on,although you may have a different line you prefer.

The 3 lines to saty away from are Any flourocarbon(Vanish,stren or any flouro)Ironsilk will be good but may prove to awkward to work with,and I would say no heavy braided lines up to 14 possibly 20 wouldnt go further than that are the only ones to avoid.

Hope this helps,T.L F.F
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I like power pro....30 lb...8 lb diameter.....use it for everything.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Bailing wire = fewer break offs.

M.T. Livewell
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Power pro, Power pro, Power pro...
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :shock: What is this Power pro you speak of :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Expensive but worth it,try a lower test to get used to it 1st.

T.L F.F
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I put power pro on am totally peed off.

In three fishing trips I have lost five titanium spinner baits along with three titanium leaders. Thats over 100 bucks worth of equipment, five times what I paid for the darn power pro to begin with. I looks to me like the stuff is so thin that it gets caught up in the rings on the spinner baits and just snap off. I have taken what is left of my power pro and taken it off the reel and thrown it in the garbage as I can not afford to us it anymore.

I still use it when I am jigging for eyes and such but will not use it anymore when I am casting out, the crap just breaks and tangle way too much.

Maybe I need to do what CB had done and put on heavy test stuff so it dies not foul up,
ManInBlackForever
Participant
Participant

Post by ManInBlackForever »

For all general applications. Its most likely going to be a Mono, Copolymer Flouro. Your going to spnd money on it, since they last longer than other lines.

So your choices

I use P-Line Flouroclear 8lb, I love it, it cannot be seen when it hits the water, its very strong, and its very abrasion resistant. Though it does stretch a little but thats another argument.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid Good for most species, and tough as nails, apparently low stretch, but I have heard it loses some abrasion resistance, and you really need to be careful cause it can cut you.

Tommy
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I'd have to say it depends....
  • Baitcaster or Spinning Reel
    Light weight or heavy weight
    Pitching or casting
    Trolling or drifting
I have all kinds I think and use them for different applications.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

Goto go with Canadian Bacon on this one Power Pro 30 lb all the way.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

As it's been said. It depends on the aplication.

Now, if you don't have the luxury of having many rods so you can rig them to a specific task, line versatillity is the key. I am sold on Stren SuperBraid. A multi purpose line with great sensitivity, low visibility (for a braided line), no stretch, easy to tie, holds knots, resistant, small diametre, no memory effect, etc. etc.

I tried Fireline this year. I used it once and stripped it off my reel. I probably should have given it more time, but I could't stand it.

Since some of those lines are pretty expensive, don't be tempted to "underfill" your spool. Any spool (on a spinning reel) is meant to be filled to approx. 1/8 of an inch of the edge of the front lip on the reel. Braided line has more resistance coming off the reel. If the reel is spooled properly, it wont make a difference. If not enough line on, casting distance will be affected. If you have to, you can prefill your spool with mono, then top up with 100 feet or so of braided line. Use uni to uni knot to connect both lines.

My two cents.
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

IRONSILK

Post by AverageAngler »

IRONSILK ALL THE WAY!! I have pulled things in from the depths three times larger than line limit! Easy to use...never had ANY problems yet! Love it..try it its like 12.00 at Wally World!
Cheers'
--AA--
steely5
Participant
Participant

Post by steely5 »

I agree with the others power pro,but only in heavier applications in the slop flippin and pitching.or throwing a buzzbait or plastics in the weeds.But in clear water good old berkley xl is my choice 8lb or 6 have got me some realy big fish from 4 and 5lb smallies to 15 to 20 lb steelhead just have to set your drag up for the type of fishing your doing.Example;for steelhead or chinooks (berkley xl)you know they will take off like a bat out of hell so loosen up and let em run and palm your real to tighten up the drag as the fish tires out,or for bass(powerpro) in the slop tighten up your drag a little so you can get those big sweeping hooksets to get em out of the cover,but in the end the coice is yours,depending on what type of rod and real your using or what type of fishing.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Weekend Angler -- 10lb Mono should cover almost everything.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Rescue78 wrote:As it's been said. It depends on the aplication.

Now, if you don't have the luxury of having many rods so you can rig them to a specific task, line versatillity is the key. I am sold on Stren SuperBraid. A multi purpose line with great sensitivity, low visibility (for a braided line), no stretch, easy to tie, holds knots, resistant, small diametre, no memory effect, etc. etc.
I have Stren SuperBraid spooled up on both my baitcasting and spinning reels. I totaly have to agree with Rescue78. I really enjoy using this line and have not seen any of the problems I have in the past with other braided lines. I to am sold on it!