Quiet Muskie Opener?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Quiet Muskie Opener?

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I haven't seen or heard anything but I did manage to get out on the Mad for the opener. None in the boat for me but I did see one and lost a nice one. Sure enough, throw out a cast and a 'ski surfaced not 20 feet from my boat twice before taking off, I chased that one for a while but it didn't show itself again. Later on, closer to noon, I started a troll and had a great hit with a couple strong rips but she came off a split second before I had the rod in my hand, so that was disappointing, but it was only day 1.

I spoke to a few others who, were like me, out of luck, a couple follows but nothing in the boat.

How did everyone else do?
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Quiet Muskie Opener?

Post by avidangler »

Pretty much the same story for me on the Rideau although I did manage to land a few pike one even bordering on 30". Will test my luck again today and hopefully avoid any afternoon T-storms.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Militant Outdoors
Participant
Participant

Post by Militant Outdoors »

Head Pond Saturday morning produced a couple quality follows when casting Cowgirls, both turned several times at the boat, but no go. These were in shallow, like 6 FOW. Another boat we spoke with on the water said they got a 30-incher. Others we spoke to caught and saw nothing.

Militant
Militant Outdoors does not represent the opinions of the moderators or those who post on this forum. Militant Outdoors is an alternative media resource, intended for the mature audience. Militant Outdoors... ... ...What's your M.O.?tm
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

I caught a 33 incher early in the morning on my second cast ... thought I was in for a great opener!!

Unfortunately, that was the only fish I saw for the rest of the day.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

I heard from Fordson they got 4 fish yesterday 26,33,36,44 on Moira.
Not sure about today.

EDIT: yes they caught couple today as well :mrgreen:
Last edited by lifeisfun on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100% (C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

We got eight

But that was a group of 20
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

My brother and I fished the rideau and didn't get much, saw two in the morning, one missed the lure about 10 feet from the boat made, the other was off after about 2 solid head shakes. Both came in about 6 FOW. We did manage to land a few decent pike and a few OOS bass.

Every year I'm amazed on how many bass i catch on musky lures
- Rick Ozga
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pepe »

Hi "Lifeisfun" - we fished Moira also on saturday. Your buddy must have been the only one who caught on saturday. Everyone we spoke to was skunked and we never saw any rods bent all day. Interesting .............
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Not for me. Didn't even realize that it was Muskie opener until I pulled up to a very busy boat launch. I was there for walleys but In 3 hours fishing I caught a fiesty 36" muskie and missed another larger one. Unfortunately though no walleyes were caught.
Wishing I was fishing
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Pepe wrote:Hi "Lifeisfun" - we fished Moira also on saturday. Your buddy must have been the only one who caught on saturday. Everyone we spoke to was skunked and we never saw any rods bent all day. Interesting .............
Perhaps they got them just before you guys showed up :)
I did see pictures, 5 fish landed and couple lost. Fordson's dad got his firs musky on first cast :lol: They left monday when the cold front moved in.
Lets hope Mike will check in and post pictures here.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have a feeling with this real late spring and cold water hanging around that we see some of the best muskie fishing early this summer in a long time.......

May have to dust off the sticks!

RJ
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »