What happened to ALL THE FISH??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

What happened to ALL THE FISH??

Post by AverageAngler »

Okay,
Is it just me or does shore fishing in Ottawa SUCK lately? I fish Manotic, Jock River etc....all the local holes and NOTHING! Any suggestions?
Please, ANGLER NEEDS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers ALL
--AA--
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Any suggestions?
Buy a boat?

Sorry, that's the best I could come up with.

M.T. Livewell
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

AA,

I'm thinking of hitting the back channel at Long Island this weekend. I'll let you know how things are. I had great luck the last two times I was there (~50 fish, 4 > 12"). There are some nice holes that hold big fish, upstream and downstream of the waste water dam. This is espeically true if the water levels are still slighly up. The only catch is you have to get wet to get at them. LOL
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ginsen
Participant
Participant

Post by ginsen »

Wade the rapids on the Ottawa, for sure you will catch fish.

Problem is, the water level is quite high, and most likely the current is quite strong. You have to be VERY careful!!
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I'm having luck wading the Ottawa - Shirley's Bay, Andrew Hayden Park, Britania filtration plant...but yes, the water levels are up and you have to be VERY careful.

Karack
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

What all are you getting from Andrew Hayden Park?
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

AA, Don't be talkin ! Shore fishing is gone right to my head ! I'm just about ready to do away with myself. I've also tried all sorts of different spots , along the Ottawa, the Jock the Rideau all the way from Black Rapids to Strathcona Park !! NOTHING !!!

I had to resort to renting a boat on White Lake this weekend to cure my itch to catch a few fish !!!
Buck
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck »

Well, I guess you have to change your methods of fishing, because over here, in the east end of Ottawa, I'm making a killing! The LM bass are right on, and from shore, the walleye (From the parliament to Rockland) are extremely active. I don't get much action with cranks baits, but the tube or grub jig is very hot right now! Yes the levels are up and the water is murky, so try darker colors! Try the Cumberland Ferry if you want to catch walleye!

Good Luck

buck
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What happened to all the fish

Post by Buzzer »

After shore fishing for a few years I dreaded the "dog days of summer", as all I seemed to catch were rock bass :(

It always seemed to me that spring was great but once the heat moved in and then the weeds started dying the fishing slowed down.

I always looked forward to the fall though because even though the fishing remained slow I always seemed to hook into a few really big fish once the water had cooled.

Try new places and/or go to the spot which hasn't produced in the past and you just never know what may happen. An example would be if in the spring you're catching lots of fish on a weed bottom but not one fish a few hundred meters away on a rock bottom... change it up and try the rock bottom. You never know what may happen.

Good Luck, Buzzer
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

AA,

It's not just your neck of the woods. My last two (shore) outings have me returning home skunked. :?

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Gotta agree with Buck.....The east is right hot right now!!!Was out last night with no size but 5cats 2 walleye,1perch and a few missed hits.

The night b4 only 1 walleye but lost :evil: Not huge but 30 to 33" class muskie off shore.

A freind just called Im sure the pics will be up but he just landed a 23" LM!!!!!!!!At petrie Island.

Try a few new spots aswell cant hurt to put some leg work in to find em,If you head out towards orleans send me a pm and Ill meet up with ya to see if we can tangle a few :D

T.L F.F
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

Post by AverageAngler »

Well,
I am glad I am not the only one with some probs! I guess I will try the East end. Hows the fishing out in the Valley??
Cheers'
--AA--
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

shore fishing

Post by Jigs »

AA:

I feel for ya bud; really. Spent a lot of years shore fishing, and it can be good or ................not. A lot of times not.

Usually, live bait under a float will catch something, but, if you think of it, you are in one place on a river/lake waiting for a fish to swim by.

. When I shore fished it was because I couldn't afford a boat. This may or may not be your situation, but a flip answer such as "buy a boat" doesn't really address your problem, and to my mind, is a tad hurtful.

Try changing locations; see if you can get into a shallow area near a drop off etc.

Wish I could be of more help.

Regards: Jigs.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I agree that the Rideau (urban stretches) has been a little slow, although I've never been skunked. I had 8 at Black Rapids yesterday, though nothing large. The cold front that moved through really knocked them down and put them pretty much off the bite.

Today's weather though should make for some good fishing. I'll be doing the back channel at Long Island this afternoon. The last time I was there on weather pretty much like today I had 2 dozen fish, with 4 over 1lb. The high water levels actually provide additional holding areas in the back channel.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The smallmouth were smashing everything this evening at Long Island (back channel). Had a dozen over 10", one being a nice 14" SM. Lost another just as large as well. (not counting the scores of fish < 10")