He CAN be taught ladies and gentlemen!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

He CAN be taught ladies and gentlemen!!

Post by DaveH »

FINALLY!!!

After processing more articles and message board posts than I do when I'm stuck on a coding issue with a deadline looming, I hit the water (or shore really) this morning feeling a bit more confident, and with a fairly respectable arsenal for a rookie!

Took the advice from Floatfishin and headed to the Bronson Bridge area and Carleton U...

Started West of the rapids area tossing out a spinner (white spinner with two different types of spinners attached...forget the names, one rounder, one slimmer). Within a few casts I got a small strike, and reeled in a pretty impressive whopping 6 inch smallmouth... Hey, six inches is the best I've managed to catch this year (with the exception of a 16" pike on Petrie, but I was in a boat)

Fished that spot a little longer without any luck, and then switched to a texas-rigged tube... lots and lots of little hits, but nothing I could set the hook on...I suspect it was little guys taking nibbles, as everytime I reeled it back there were a couple little guys following.

Managed to get pretty hefty strike at one point, but whatever it was managed a nice clean cut of my line...I really hope it wasn't just a sharp rock .. *laughs*

Anyway...walked up and down the river trying a few different spots and different lures and stuff but pretty much no success..

Finally went back to where I started and back to the white spinner bait, and Whamo...some action!

Lost a few to the fight... but did manage to bring in a pretty 11" smallie, and an 8 inch Perch!!

WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOO I felt like a fisherman today....

Can"t wait till tomorrow!!
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

THATS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT :lol: 8)
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

DaveH,

Congrats. I was thinking about getting out this morning but didn't manage to roll out till after 8. LOL I'll probably do the back channel at Long Island this weekend if you're interested.

As for your break offs, when fishing rocky areas like Carleton U, etc it's good to check your line occasionally, especially after minor snags to make sure that you don't have nicks in your line which might lead to a break.

The smallies also enjoy the 4" Berkely Bungee Worm (Blue fleck). I usually fish them with a #2 circle hook and a small split shot.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

WTG Dave! Glad to hear you tangled a few today,sry they werent monsters but none the less you got out and got a few on :D

T.L F.F
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

hehe Thanks!!

Hey, if they were all 6 incher's I'd still be happy.

Although I must say, for even just an 11 inch smallie ( I didn't have a scale to measure the weight) she actually put up a pretty good fight...and took me a couple minutes to bring her in safely. *laughs* Gotta love bass for that when even the medium to small ones still challenge you a bit *L*

Now I need an 11 POUND monster to show me what a real fight is all about!!!!
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

DAVEH your gonna have to go to the deep south to tackle hogs that big. Tell you what you buy the tickets and I'll supply the gear :D :D

BASSSTALKER
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Lemme check my lottery tickets and get back to ya!!