Live bait on the Ottawa River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Muskybuster
Participant
Participant

Live bait on the Ottawa River

Post by Muskybuster »

Hi Guys,

Most Guys know you can't use live bait in Quebec waters and a lot of guys are saying well it's not that big of deal if you get caught. It has been a question a lot of people are trying to get direct answer about using live minnows on the Ottawa River and what is the restrictions or fines when crossing the with live bait onto the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. Last night I was stopped by the Ontario CO's and The Quebec CO's who where sharing a boat for the day. Because I don't usually get the chance to ask two different provincial Co's together I asked them what is the exact deal on live bait, The Quebec CO first stated I better not have any in the boat, which I never do on the Quebec side anyhow. But here is the kicker!! if you have live bait on board the fine starts at $1000.00.
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Re: Live bait on the Ottawa River

Post by bcjohnso99 »

In ON, the definition of "live bait" includes dead fish - so if a lake has a no "live bait" restriction, then you can't even use dead minnows for fear of them spreading disease.

Anybody know what the regs (all of QC or restricted zones in ON) say about preserved minnows (i.e. dead, certified disease free, sold in a jar)?

B.
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

I thought the Ottawa was shared water?

Or does this only count for licenses?

If the regs are dependent on actual location then I saw a number of people fishing with too many ice lines out last year on the Ontario side.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

But you can use live minnows on the Ontario side of the river? What a bunch of wing nuts.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

something is weird here ! Every bait shop in gatineau sell live minnows. you can fish live bait on the ottawa/outaouais river ! I went to a tournament this year on the gatineau mcleren bay area and everyone was using live bait and also in shawville on the Riviere des outaouais. :?:
|Dore|
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

The QC ministry is phasing in the no live bait rule on the Ottawa. The rest of the province is already no live bait year round, so this year the QC ministry implemented it from April 1st until...icefishing...no live bait. Almost everybody was not aware of this. Also, even when you could use live bait, if you got your minnows from ontario and transported them across the boundary on the river, you have now committed a crime, you can not transport live fish across provincial borders. This live bait law will change somewhat through the seasons, until it is year round which I believe is scheduled to happen in 2017?

Licensing is reciprocal, that's where it ends. Whatever side of the river you are on those laws apply. So if I have an ontario license, and am ice fishing on the Quebec side of the river, I can use 5 lines. Respect the regs of whatever province you are in, regardless of who issued your license.
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

Good advice for everyone is to know the rules for yourself and don't assume what you read on here as proper information.

Always always know your regs because the CO will not give you a break if you tell him CptFishKing on fish hawk said it was ok :D
Dustin
Participant
Participant

Post by Dustin »

Exactly - have to follow up with a reliable source. I thought boundary waters was shared waters. What this means is you can fish the Ottawa river anywhere (on either side), with either an Ontario or Quebec licence. If you have a Quebec license, that means you can fish 5 lines anywhere on the river. But if you have an Ontario license you can only fish 2 lines anywhere. So - you follow the regulations associated with your license (and not based on 'which side' of the river you are on. If you want to fish 5 lines - get a Quebec license.
"That's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'"
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Dustin wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:10 pm Exactly - have to follow up with a reliable source. I thought boundary waters was shared waters. What this means is you can fish the Ottawa river anywhere (on either side), with either an Ontario or Quebec licence. If you have a Quebec license, that means you can fish 5 lines anywhere on the river. But if you have an Ontario license you can only fish 2 lines anywhere. So - you follow the regulations associated with your license (and not based on 'which side' of the river you are on. If you want to fish 5 lines - get a Quebec license.
So what is your "reliable source" that you follow the regulations associated with your license, not which side of the river you are on?

For Zone 12, Ottawa River the Ontario regulations state...

"See the Boundary Waters section for information on licences and limits in boundary waters and remember that regulations differ between Ontario and Quebec. Anglers are responsible to ensure they are obeying the regulations of the waters where they are fishing."

Based on that statement you need to follow the regulations for the location you are fishing, in Ontario waters or in Quebec waters, not based on which license you have.
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Yup. Your Ontario license is good to allow you to fish on the side of the OR, but you have to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are fishing in.