Brown Trout Tactics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Whitehawk
Participant
Participant

Brown Trout Tactics

Post by Whitehawk »

Hey, anyone got some advice on catching Browns in a lake. I've heard about long lining with a Rap.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Brown Trout Tactics

Post by smitty55 »

Try long lining with streamer flies. With the cooling water they should be running shallower now. Good luck
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Whitehawk
Participant
Participant

Post by Whitehawk »

Thanks, I'll try that next time I am at the lake. Yes the water is cooling fast. Was at 68F surface temp on the 6th.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Depends on the lake...what lake was that again? :lol: You could also try trolling with a fly rod using a sinking line
Wishing I was fishing
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Very complicated fish to target, best time being very early spring at ice out or late fall/first ice. I fish a few brown lakes threw out the summer and haven't had great success. Threw the ice is never an issue but once that water warms up they in my opinion could be one of the hardest fish to catch. I mainly target trout(lakers,specs,bows and splake) and usually never have an issue landing any f those species but the brown trout always seem to hate me.

I've used the fly rod sinking line method with limited success, I've use the downrigger same outcome. I'm going to give them one last go this fall, if I don't have success I will only target them threw the ice from now on.
Whitehawk
Participant
Participant

Post by Whitehawk »

MTF, all I'll say is the one off 511.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

There is so much nonsense about brown trout. I believe it started in the 60's and 70's when anglers were clamouring for brown trout stocking in Ontario but the MNR was dead set on breeding frankenstein fish like splake. So they told everyone that browns were too hard to catch....seriously

I have caught hundreds if not thousands of them. They are not difficult, after all they are still just a fish. They do not go deep relative to other trout. They bite best when the water is in the low 60's and will feed in water over 70 but don't fish for them then. Just like other species they bite best at low light but like other species you can catch them all day. They are said to eat more fish than other trouts...again not true, certainly less than lakers or splake and more discerning than brookies which can and do eat just about anything.

If you fly fish or even if you don't Google... Loch (Scottish) and Lough (Irish) style fishing for trout. Those guys have been fishing for small lake browns for generations. Also Google reservoir trout fishing in England for more info. One big difference over there is these guys drift and fish ahead of the boat. They don't troll or drag lures/flies behind the boat.

Throw what you know about lake trout fishing out the window when fishing these guys. More like smallmouth with smaller baits (generally but not always) and they won't adhere to structure nearly as much. Also a good tip is look for the most plentiful food source in the lake at that time regardless of size. It could be sz. 20 Midges or flying ants or it could be 6" long stunted perch. Trout are not as evolved as bass, they learn selectivity thru repetition not so much motion and prey responses which is why you can catch a big brown on a sz. 16 fly with nothing more than a thread or wire body. Browns are probably the most selective of trout followed by rainbows.
Whitehawk
Participant
Participant

Post by Whitehawk »

So here is the logical question.

How many Browns have you guys caught. Thru the ice does not count!
I am stuck at one.

Wow hundreds maybe thousands. I want your spot!

Number two this year would make me happy.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Most places that have quality trout fishing do not allow ice fishing. Ontario allows ice fishing and Eastern Ontario has terrible fishing on stocked ponds. Most of my browns came from NY State over a 30 year period many were caught in Ontario too.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Whitehawk wrote:So here is the logical question.

I am stuck at one.

LOTS when I use to have the time to go fishing instead of traveling like a fool for work!

Here's an example of some browns

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good luck on that lake Whitehawk. Even guys that know it real well have a hard time. Most folks fish for a different species there now. I do know some guys that used to fish off shore with a slip sinker and a live minnow on a floating jig head. Have fun.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Wow!

I tried ice fishing them 2 winters ago.....

Not even a nibble....

There were 4 groups on the lake and we all spread out to try to find them.

Worms and minnows and not a thing!

Would love to ctach more ice trout myself.....

Tired of ling lol
Whitehawk
Participant
Participant

Post by Whitehawk »

Yea smitty55 I do catch the other a lot there. Saw a Brown come out of the water near me last week and
decided I wanted him.
Attachments
Dlake.JPG
Dlake.JPG (63.93 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

troutnmuskiehunter wrote:

I am stuck at one.

LOTS when I use to have the time to go fishing instead of traveling like a fool for work!

We still gotta get out for a fish this fall! Had a good summer of specs, lakers and splake I'm still
Chasing the Browns! No luck at that lake we talked about sinking line or rigging :evil: been there a few times I'm almost convinced its not meant to be!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Troutskiii wrote:
troutnmuskiehunter wrote:

I am stuck at one.

We still gotta get out for a fish this fall! Had a good summer of specs, lakers and splake I'm still
Chasing the Browns! No luck at that lake we talked about sinking line or rigging :evil: been there a few times I'm almost convinced its not meant to be!
Sounds like a plan Adam...I'm on vacation the week of Oct 7th so if you can get a day off, we'll head out.