Cabelas in Ottawa! It's happening

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Cabelas in Ottawa! It's happening

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I'm not so sure I believe this.

Big Box stores need to have a huge demographic before opening.
Montreal and Toronto have a much larger population base.

I looked into opening a franchise a long time ago. I was told that the area I wanted to put it in was "too small"
I needed a demographic population base of 40,000 people. To open a small scale supplement franchise!!!
So the town I was considering, has a population of 9,600 and was deemed unsuitable for a franchise license.

My reason is ...why would Cabela's or Bass Pro open a store in a city of 883,391 (2011 census) over say Toronto that has 5.5M people?
:?
The demographics aren't even comparable!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

There you go again Mav, stirring the pot and spouting off crap that you know nothing about. How the hell would you know where I'm going to spend my money? You don't.
I was in paddletales a month ago btw. It's a 240 km round trip.
Maybe you should brush up on your comprehension Mav. I am in no way taking a shot at our smaller shops. Quite the opposite actually, but you just twist things around to suit yourself.
I guess you missed it where I said outdoor products Mav. Cabelas sells much more than just fishing and hunting supplies. Have you ever looked at a Cabelas catalog? Nope? No local store will be able to match that selection of products. It's pretty simple really, if you're having a hard time figuring that one out.
Finally Mav, If you think that a store as big as Cabelas won't have an effect on local business, including sail and lebaron, then you better give your head a shake, but not too hard OK.

Funny, I thought this site had moved past these petty comments from certain members. Guess I expected too much. All I did is pass on some information that I figured people would be interested in, and what happens? I get piled on for no reason. They even dragged Paul down to their level. Speaking of clowns, pops...

MLR you may well be right if this is the last year of ice fishing on 31 Mile.
RJ, you would trust my source. Check your fb contacts. It's out there now.

Cheers
Last edited by smitty55 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Jimmy, the metro population is almost 1.3 million plus all the outlying areas.
Cabelas is opening a 70,000 square foot store in Barrie, with a population of 128,000. It is at least an hour from Toronto, and about 40 miles from Basspro. Figure out those demographics.

I'm just passing on info here, that's all. Chill out folks.
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote: RJ, you would trust my source. Check your fb contacts. It's out there now.
I have heard this before on FB, I questioned it then and still do but who knows!

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I am not denying your source or trying to critisize but I am one of those that only believe when they see.

They announced a store in Mirabel and then backed out. BPS decided to go in there instead but then the recession hit and they backed out as well. Bopth companies actually had this information listed on their web pages. Because of this, I have a hard time beleiving anything they say until a hole is in the ground. 2015 is not exactly around the corner so a lot could change by then.

As for an impact on local vendors. Yes it will have a short term impact as Ed said. Even if it is longer than a one month dip in sales, I don't think you will see too many places going out of business. I am ten minutes to Paddletales and enjoy going there for whatever I can and I would imagine most people would do the same. A lot of the box stores have employees who don't know or don't care about what they are selling. With the smaller vendors, the people behind the counter have a better sense of what is going on.
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Jimmy_1 wrote:I'm not so sure I believe this.

Big Box stores need to have a huge demographic before opening.
Montreal and Toronto have a much larger population base.

I looked into opening a franchise a long time ago. I was told that the area I wanted to put it in was "too small"
I needed a demographic population base of 40,000 people. To open a small scale supplement franchise!!!
So the town I was considering, has a population of 9,600 and was deemed unsuitable for a franchise license.

My reason is ...why would Cabela's or Bass Pro open a store in a city of 883,391 (2011 census) over say Toronto that has 5.5M people?
:?
The demographics aren't even comparable!
They would set up shop here so that they can take advantage of the close proximity to Québec without having to worry about all the language policies that other big box stores are currently fighting.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

http://www.cabelas.ca/find-a-store

Here is what Cabela's has or is planning in Canada.

Here is what they plan in US and Canada

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_ho ... z_l=Header

I don't see Kanata,,,,
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:There you go again Mav, stirring the pot and spouting off crap that you know nothing about. How the hell would you know where I'm going to spend my money? You don't.
I was in paddletails a month ago btw. It's a 240 km round trip.
Maybe you should brush up on your comprehension Mav. I am in no way taking a shot at our smaller shops. Quite the opposite actually, but you just twist things around to suit yourself.
I guess you missed it where I said outdoor products Mav. Cabelas sells much more than just fishing and hunting supplies. Have you ever looked at a Cabelas catalog? Nope? No local store will be able to match that selection of products. It's pretty simple really, if you're having a hard time figuring that one out.
Finally Mav, If you think that a store as big as Cabelas won't have an effect on local business, including sail and lebaron, then you better give your head a shake, but not too hard OK.
As I gazed upon your reply, I uttered an exasperated breath of disbelief…...a vociferous critic you are Smitty!

Rejoice yourself my articulate enunciating friend, as I simply enjoy deliberately brushing my fingertips upon my keyboard in order to convey my cogitations.

The “Morally Diversified” Maverick

P.S. Paddletails?....Nope, it's Paddletales :wink:
Last edited by TheMaverick on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This is the line that blows me away.

Currently, Cabela's operates 45 stores across North America, including three in Canada – Winnipeg, Manitoba; Edmonton, Alberta; and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The company has announced plans to open an additional 19 locations over the next two years, including a Regina, Saskatchewan, location this fall and a second Edmonton location in 2014.

A second one is needed in Edmonton? :lol:

They'll come at some point, then everyone (like they always do) can complain about how poor the service is from the staff, how bad the stock is and then go back to shopping where they did before. :lol:

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

No.

What I do is surf the classifieds.
Always someone selling off quality gear for next to nothing as they have to have the latest gadget and have somehow convinced themselves they'll be better with better gear!

Kevin Van Damme could use a rowboat and a spider-man rod and out fish 90% of us here.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

"Oh look at me! I need the new Bigpinkblouse Superposer XLHGRTFART876 flipping stick to go with my Bigpinkblouse Ultraloser YTRECRAP 765 frog rod! If I use ANYTHING other than Bigpinkblouse gear I am less manly and will cease to catch 1 lb bass consistently"

Good grief!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Jimmy_1 wrote:"Oh look at me! I need the new Bigpinkblouse Superposer XLHGRTFART876 flipping stick to go with my Bigpinkblouse Ultraloser YTRECRAP 765 frog rod! If I use ANYTHING other than Bigpinkblouse gear I am less manly and will cease to catch 1 lb bass consistently"

Good grief!
Better sell it quick! As a NEW, BIG STORE is coming! I'll NEED that $$$ to buy more Bigpinkblouse gear for $.05 less than the store I went to for years! I am NEVER satisfied with what I have!!1 I need MOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

and no Smitty, this isn't a swipe at you are anybody in particular.

I just get a good laugh at of anyone who goes out and spends a mint on whatever hobby they have and buy whatever the latest and greatest is just to have the latest and greatest!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:and no Smitty, this isn't a swipe at you are anybody in particular.

I just get a good laugh at of anyone who goes out and spends a mint on whatever hobby they have and buy whatever the latest and greatest is just to have the latest and greatest!
You're right!

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well

iphone 4 works just as well as the iphone 5. So no need to give your cell provider an additional couple of hundred bucks to "upgrade".

The Macintosh computer is from 1985. It is beyond upgradeable or useable today.

The tv you have is in fact just fine. Unless you need or want a big, plasma/LED/LCD (or whatever) screen. But if you buy a 60" today for $2500 and sell it for half that six months later only to buy an 80" well then maybe you need to seriously consider whether you need it or not!

But hey, if you got money to blow by all means!