Cabelas in Ottawa! It's happening

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Cabelas in Ottawa! It's happening

Post by StarTzar »

Maverick is at it again ....

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Smitty,

I had actually totally forgot about this post! I guess your "source" was right! I wouldn't be surprised if it opens before the BPS as well! I heard rumblings that the ground was too unstable and that is why they haven't started working on it. I hope it still goes ahead but at least another option may be in the works. Until a door actually opens, I am still reserving judgement.

The BPS not opening in Mirabel and a few other stores that were slated to open in Kemptville and never did are what me think this way.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I guess BPS hasn't totally folded the tent yet. This from yesterday...

Published on: November 19, 2014Last Updated: November 19, 2014 6:22 PM EST

Bass Pro Shops says it still plans to dip a line in the Ottawa market — it just can’t say when.
“We’ve announced we’re coming, we’re excited about coming to the area, and that’s the only update I have right now,” spokeswoman Katie Mitchell said Wednesday from the outdoor and sporting-goods chain’s headquarters in Springfield, Mo.
Bass Pro announced a year ago it would open one of its signature giant hunting, fishing and camping stores by mid-2015 in a fast-growing retail zone on Highway 417 in Kanata. But work has yet to start at the site across from the Canadian Tire Centre, prompting speculation the Ottawa store has been dropped.
In Montreal, a planned Bass Pro was cancelled after a huge retail and entertainment complex envisioned for Mirabel failed to get backing. A smaller outlet-store development recently opened at the site.
Meantime, rival chain Cabela’s Inc. said this week it will open a 70,000-square-foot store near the Bass Pro property in Kanata by spring 2016.
Developers are eager to fill a stretch that just months ago was empty fields with stores, hotels and restaurants. Tanger Outlets Ottawa was first to open with 350,000 square feet of retail space.
The Kanata Bass Pro outlet, at 120,000 square feet the size of seven NHL ice surfaces, is meant to anchor a Broccolini/Laurentides Holdings development east of Huntmar Drive.
Bob Perkins, Ottawa vice-president of Broccolini Construction, said he was unable to comment Wednesday on Bass Pro or other tenants for the 53-acre property but hoped to be able to offer an update shortly."

Doesn't make much sense to me to have two major outlets that close to each other, not in a market this size, so we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Cabela's as confirmed in their website for spring 2016.

BPS as said in lots of cities that they were planning for 2015-2016...I now highly dought. Anyways, I just wanted to see the bass aquariums ;)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just more options IMO.

Syracuse has a Gander Mountain and a Dicks sporting goods within a few kilometres from each other and seems to work. Granted, these stores aren't of the same caliber as these two stores.
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

Well I don't want to say a whole lot but there were meetings and talks to have it here in Peterborough. I was there when the talks were going on doing my Internship. They basically wanted to corner the working around the GTA. If they had it in Peterborough they could get the people east GTA, Kingston and Ottawa. City turned down the offer........ they do it a lot. which would explain why we have the highest unemployment rate in the country.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Predicted by the Smitty55 back in the day when we was just little dreamy kids. BOOM THAT INTEL!!! :lol:

Bring on Cabelas. BPS. The last installment of the Hobbit and maybe even a Stanley Cup! Ottawa is on a roll. :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Small market? I would assume Ottawa is one of the largest fishing/hunting hubs in the country. Im sure people from two hours away will have no problem coming down to shop a larger store in Ottawa.

No shots being taken in this thread at the local shops. I think many are excited to have this kind shop available. I support every shop in town :lol:
jayme2014
Participant
Participant

Post by jayme2014 »

Tip-Top

Part of the issue is many don't really know the population of Ottawa the fact is the population of the National Capital Region is 1.3 million thats just for Ottawa/Gatineau then you have to factor in the areas around the ncr such as United Counties Of Leeds & Greenville (99,000) Lanark County (66,000) Renfrew County (101,326)
United Counties Of Stormont,Dundas & Glengarry (111,164) United Counties Of Prescott & Russell (86,000)
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Jim »

Asked the question of BPS brass and I was told yesterday that its looking more like into 2016 the way things are proceeding :D

I can't begin to imagine the logistics of these malls... :shock:
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Big Jim wrote:Asked the question of BPS brass and I was told yesterday that its looking more like into 2016 the way things are proceeding :D

I can't begin to imagine the logistics of these malls... :shock:
That's HORRIBLE news, those places are like man caves from heaven!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Bye bye Lebrons!
Cabella's - Better store, better prices, headed our way :) Train yards is far enough east so Sail may hang for a while - All east endender's consider where you shop or you may have nothing but a 40 min drive.....

My self, I'm west end, this is great!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have been to cabellas and BPS.... They have a wide selection (more BPS, I have never been overly impressed with the fishing section at the Cabelas in Saskaton) but Lebaron actually has very competitive pricing.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Man I hope one or both of these stores are opened up before walleye opener... I want GEAR!!!!!!!!!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

CCLad wrote:Bye bye Lebrons!
Cabella's - Better store, better prices, headed our way :) Train yards is far enough east so Sail may hang for a while - All east endender's consider where you shop or you may have nothing but a 40 min drive.....

My self, I'm west end, this is great!
Baron has the best prices, and kanata is a long ways from gatineau on a thursday night! Hell I'll probably still spend a saturday doing sail, lebaron cabelas and bps...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.