Big Rideau lakers?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Big Rideau lakers?

Post by eye-tracker »

Anyone been out on Big Rideau after lakers lately?

I was just wondering what depth they are holding at or if the bite has been good?

Cheers'
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Some buds have been picking a few out from the deeps with the usual white jigs. They troll real slow with the float tubes. Problem is EYE that they won't give up any details cause they know I 'm heading there in September. Some buddies they are eh?

But, they do better in the mornings they tell me, and they're of course fishing up around Tar Island in the deep, deep areas.
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Viper »

Hi Eye-Tracker

Just got back this morning from Big Rideau. Been getting lakers at 65ft in 80 to 90 feet of water using downriggers and minnows. For the last couple of weeks the bite has been off and on. The area we are fishing is mainly between Sand and Trout at the southend of the lake.

Hope this helps - Good luck
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Not sure about the rideau, but Charleston Lakers are really deep. I'm working 100ft. in the morning then slowing droppping the ball to 150ft for mid-day.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Thanks' for the info...

Gota' love Fishhawk.net for all the great fishing info. :wink:

I have fished Big Rideau many times and I know the water very well. I will take my under water camera with tempature probe for the downriiger and fish the 50 - 55 degree mark and also run one cannon ball with a six foot gang troll deep for the big girls sitting on bottom.

I will report back after the trip.

cheers'
Sheldon Hatch
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Made a trip out today July 29th...

The morning fog was heavy but the GPS got me to my spot. :D 6:30am Dropped the lines down at Horseshoe Bay and was trolling at 80 and 65 ft over 90 to 135 FOW. Worked the humps in the area and managed two fish on in the first hour. Both strikes came on the lure running at 80ft and on a Silver, Chart NK28. First fish was lost at the boat by my father and it was about a 15lb laker :shock: ...biggest I have seen in Rideau. When I set the hook on this hawg it felt like the line was still hooked to the cannon ball. :D Shame we never got it into the boat for a picture :( . 15 minutes later the second laker was a 20 incher and took the same setup as the first.

Missed two more on the hook set later in the morning 125ft down over 315 FOW (White,Black,Pink NK28) and headed off the water once the big boats turned the lake into waves-ville :wink:
Sheldon Hatch