Sunglasses for fishing advice for the rest of us? -/+ $50?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Sunglasses for fishing advice for the rest of us? -/+ $50?

Post by cprince »

Not to take a swipe at any one but...
StarTzar wrote:Finally, someone that mentions no concern for price.

I purchased Oakley Half Jacket...
Umm... err... With all due respect, I am happy for people's success and for having the ways and means to be able to get these (in my mind) big ticket items, but...

Anyone with suggestions for those with caviar tastes on a Kraft Dinner budget?

I figure I can afford around $50 bucks for a pair of sunglasses that may or may not end up run over at a boat launch or flying out a window of a Sunfire on a logging road in April as we slash through the forest.

Strike Kings are great for me most of the time, but if I get any spray bait sent or sometimes bug spray on the lenses, the polarized coating peels off like Paul's burnt but usually milky skin!

Craig
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Sunglasses for fishing advice for the rest of us? -/+ $5

Post by lape0019 »

I will say that there is a difference in clarity (distortion ) between $50 and $200 polarized glasses.

My buddy got a pair of solar bats for about that price and loves them and I have read great reviews on the strike king glasses.

One thing I have noticed is that I tend to take care of expensive glasses better so they tend to last longer. Who knows, maybe if you bought a pair of oakleys, you would pay more attention to where they are when travelling in the sunfire.

I would say though, $50 for a pair offload used sunglasses, isn't a bad starting point. Also, if you have a costco card, they typically have some good deals.

Adam
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

cprince wrote:Not to take a swipe at any one but...
StarTzar wrote:Finally, someone that mentions no concern for price.

I purchased Oakley Half Jacket...
Umm... err... With all due respect, I am happy for people's success and for having the ways and means to be able to get these (in my mind) big ticket items, but...

I figure I can afford around $50 bucks for a pair of sunglasses that may or may not end up run over at a boat launch or flying out a window of a Sunfire on a logging road in April as we slash through the forest.

Strike Kings are great for me most of the time, but if I get any spray bait sent or sometimes bug spray on the lenses, the polarized coating peels off like Paul's burnt but usually milky skin!

Craig
i would go with vigor for around that price range. i am not sure if you have a local dealer but if you need i know a few prostaff guys that can help you.

https://www.facebook.com/vigoreyewear
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cprince wrote:Not to take a swipe at any one but...
Craig
For me, a Kraft Dinner Budget is something cheesy but very tasty and good for you. 8)
There was a time when those Strike King glasses could be had for $19.99 ... At that time, Kraft Dinner was $ 0.39 a box. :wink:
Not as expensive as Caviar and Oakleys, but still very good and delicious. :D

The one thing I hate about caviar is that you need lots to make an omelet.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

lape0019 wrote:...One thing I have noticed is that I tend to take care of expensive glasses better so they tend to last longer. Who knows, maybe if you bought a pair of oakleys, you would pay more attention to where they are when travelling in the sunfire...
That is because you are normal. You likely fish with normal people. I am... well... a little off.

And I fish with Paul.

We fish when we probably shouldn't.

We boat were we probably shouldn't.

Drive where you probably shouldn't.

Drive when we probably shouldn't.

We do things... a little differently.

Soo... ya. Me knowing I should not attempt to own good glasses anymore is probably one of my few sensible decisions. I have had Ray-Bans, Serengeti, Nike and Bollé... loved them all. Smashed/lost/ruined them all.

Craig
SEOO
Participant
Participant

Post by SEOO »

here is my take on it

I'm on my 4th pair for strike kings from crappy tire they are decent glasses for the money in terms of clairity but i have broken 3 pairs already

I bought $25 berkleys from walmart they actually seem to be better quality then the strike kings but they flew off my face at high speed

Dont wast your money on matzuos they are garbage

Solar bats are awesome a buddy of mine prostaffs with them and Im planning to get a pair after i tried his some are more expensive then others but they are supposed to have an awesome warranty i think its $10 for shipping to replace them if you break the frame and send them back

I have had oakleys in the past and I lost and recovered them a few times and they lasted but hard to justify the money when there are so many other things I need
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

cprince wrote:
lape0019 wrote:...One thing I have noticed is that I tend to take care of expensive glasses better so they tend to last longer. Who knows, maybe if you bought a pair of oakleys, you would pay more attention to where they are when travelling in the sunfire...
That is because you are normal. You likely fish with normal people. I am... well... a little off.

And I fish with Paul.

We fish when we probably shouldn't.

We boat were we probably shouldn't.

Drive where you probably shouldn't.

Drive when we probably shouldn't.

We do things... a little differently.

Soo... ya. Me knowing I should not attempt to own good glasses anymore is probably one of my few sensible decisions. I have had Ray-Bans, Serengeti, Nike and Bollé... loved them all. Smashed/lost/ruined them all.

Craig
I forgot who I was responding too... Yeah Craig, stick with the cheap pairs. Again, solar bats seem to get a lot of praise for their costs and some are cheaper than others.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

cprince wrote:
Fake Oakleys at L'encan de Masson? lolol0lol ;)

Vicious sunglasses, 62% off http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Vicious_ ... e-VES.html
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

I wear Wiley X Airrage. Polarized Blue. With Facial Cavity Seal on, eliminates peripheral sunlight.

Love 'em.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

i have gone through maybe 4 -5 pairs of the cheap ones you can get at scrappy tire, I kept popping out the lenses.
The last ones I got was a nice pair of solat-bat patriots on discount at Ed's during one of his chicken doos.... have had then a few years now. Price was good.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

After going through 3 pairs of $200+ sunglasses, I went back to buying cheap ones. It seems go through sunglasses like soft soft plastics either dropping them in the water, stepping on them, leaving them places and even managed to get a pair stuck in my head in a freak accident.

Currently i have 3 pairs I use.

Sail($25) - Amber lens - cheap durable and comfortable and they do a pretty good job, probably my favorite

Strike King($25) - Dark grey - I picked a pair from paddletales one day. They are pretty good, I still prefer the sail glasses over these.

H30($70 with shipping) - I purchased these for the interchangeable lens. it came with 3 lenses. I mostly use them in very low light conditions with a clear lens. But i find them sub par. i wouldn't purchase them again.

My personal opinion is I'd rather have 3 pairs below $50 to meet the light conditions I fish in, rather than one really nice pair. If i had to pick one go with sail glasses
- Rick Ozga
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Craig,

I got a pair of Polarized Oakley eyejackets on Kijiji for $40.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I also have a pair of Wiley's. I really like that Facial Cavity Seal option that comes with it, especially on cold windy days, they sure keep the cold out of your eyes.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I have a of 5$ pronature( on sale from 20$) and a pair of 200$ ... Both new out of the box, i couldnt see into the water any better with pricey ones... 200$ ones look nicer, fit nicer, are more comfy, they dont scratch, ive dropped them with no bad consequences..... Do i bring them on my yak, no cause they are too pricey! Stick with cheap if you beat the hell out of them. There is a pronature store in rockland. Google it, it has a flyer...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

cprince wrote:We fish when we probably shouldn't.

Craig
Yup - seen that first hand :D :lol: :lol: :D
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......