Carp Don't Bite Lures?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Carp Don't Bite Lures?

Post by BBRich »

Well today I was casting around a small five of diamonds spoon in Simcoe, at the Beer Store dam and I see a big carp sitting there. I bring my spoon past his face, and he darts forward and INHALES the spoon!! It was the best hit ever, and my biggest carp of the year! 32 inches, ohh yeaaahhhh!! A lot of fun. Also missed a big rainbow near Cedar St. Anyway, here's a pic of the carp.

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Rich, I think you're slowly getting more photogetic! :lol: :lol: Nice carp. 5 diamonds eh?...standard pike lure.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Rich....way to proof the experts wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go :D :D
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I generally don't fish with trebles for carp as it can cause more damage due to their soft mouths. They will take lures on occasion though but they're not the first choice of bait to use.

They will pretty much have a go at anything that resembles food but i've not really seen them chasing lures or baitfish before now. I know they'll take a crayfish or two and will pickup anything that looks like food from the bottom. They'll inspect and take in anything from the size of a small seed to something larger than a golfball. I've fished with small seeds and baits as big as 22mm and caught fish on them all.

An intersting story though and it's nice to see fish being caught and released :D I'll have to get out in the fall sometime for another go for carp although i'm sure the walleye, salmon and muskie will be calling loud at that time of year.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Lookin' good, BBR, lookin' good!! :D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.