gps unit whitch one?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

gps unit whitch one?

Post by joco »

HI everyone ,,,,,,my boat dont have a speed monitor ,,,,,so now i am
looking to buy a gps whit the speed and mabe map frome ottawa
region,,,,,whitch one you guys recomende to me what company and model(not to expensive) the best for les,,,,,,,,,,

thanks all :P

joco 8)

and mabe you guys have some used one(gps)

looking for a foot pedal for my minkota to......

joco :lol:
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Forget the pedel and save up for the copilot. it rocks.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Joco

if you only need one for surface speed....you can pick up one for about $150.00 (hand held)...both John and i use the same one....it will track and give you you your speed...works off aa batterys...you can use waypoints...you can do every thing a big one does....the screen is small but until you get good one these will work.....I have a GPS on the way from the States...,but I'll keep the hand held....it will make a good back up!!!!!!!!!! John what the heck is the name of the ones we use?? :?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Garmin ETrex.

I've had no problems with it. But, if you want the next model up with barometric pressure and temperature you'll be paying over $300.

It's handheld, takes AA batteries, ahhh... it's got plenty of stuff. Check it out. :)
fishjunkie
Participant
Participant

GPS

Post by fishjunkie »

Mapping is something that you need! A GPS with no maping capabilities is not much better than a hand held compass!!

I also was looking for a cheap GPS, but Once I started looking I decided to spend extra and get all of the bells and whistles. I bought the Garmin map 76 cs and am I ever glad I did. I loaded the Lake Huron and ST Clair software and went up North. As I was travelling I could see every underwater obstruction and fish holding area even at 30 MPH. It is a colour unit and this shows things in great detail.

I can watch multiple screens as I move through the water. I usually have the mapping on and the speed as well as the clock or GPS Waypoint. If you can afford it spend the extra bucks and get a good unit! The added attraction is that the unit will hold all of the great lakes charts, information and still have lots of memory it has 115 MB of memory.
On the negative side you need to have a P3 computer and know a little bit about computers to load the maps.

if you can't afford the Garmin ... I found a nice Lowrance that is B&W with great lakes software included for about 450, not H20 proof though!

PM me if you want to ask any questions. And good luck!

Good luck!

pay a little get little!
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

you forgot the best part. the 76 floats.
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

I have a Garmin 162 map and it works all right, but if I had it to do over again I would buy a Lowrance. If cost is an issue Eagle are made by the same company and are essentially the same unit, but are less money.