Fishing from Shore / Access Points to the water

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fishing from Shore / Access Points to the water

Post by MichaelGA »

Bump for the new guys - add some points correct the ones that need it just post here!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Bump for all the new people!

- Might I ask for this to be stickied so we can develop it more?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

MichaelGA wrote:- Might I ask for this to be stickied so we can develop it more?
Totally agree with that idea Michael. It's a great resource. RJ did seem amenable to that idea when it was brought up in the past.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

We won't be sticky-ing anything within Fishing Talk unless it's an event.

We will look at adding it somehow to our main page with a link to your google map. Nice work by the way!

RJ
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Aw! The thread that brought me to FH!

This is a good-un!
john c
Participant
Participant

Post by john c »

Bit if a drive, but one of the best spring shore locations is the coverts near oziles at Petrie island.
Good warm water current in the spring and water drops down to 20' hole, holding everything the ottawa has to offer, especially walleye.

Where the carp river eventually dumps into the ottawa river in the provincial park just pass fizroy harbour. Great for early season fishing as the carp and sucker/red horse are piled in there. And my favorite gar location later in the summer when the waters warm up.

Kilmarnock road between smith falls and merrickville. This road has a couple location on it starting with a small dam with a good pool on the left. A little further down the road past the orchards there is a covert with a thick patch of lilies on both side of the road for about 100' holding some serious Bass and pike. My favorite location when I had a car topper tinny.

Merrickville at the old school house follow to the end and if you don't mind wading in knee height your in the middle of two current flows. Water drops to 15' holding all species and docks on the far side to cast to.

These spots are all great shore fishing spots that I've grown up with, hopefully it brings a couple other some tight lines.
John Cheng
Eastern Lake Ontario Walleye Guide - Kingston
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

So there's three maps posted here and each one has different spots - it looks like there's no "Master" map unless I'm missing something here.

If they all ever get amalgamated into one map that will be updated then I'll gladly contribute a few spots I've discovered.

Dave.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I took a stab at linking them all using layers. I merged Micheal's map, my map, and the other map into one. There may be overlap. Problem is this is a static merge and won't change with changes in each of the individual maps. There does not seem to be a good way to share ownership either.

There must be better way to allow this to work dynamically. Suggestions welcome.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 3PRs&msa=0

David, you can provide entries to me and Michael and we can see how to proceed.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

That's better!

I say that we edit the first post of this topic and link to this map instead. Also, edit the other posts which have links to other maps to say that they're no longer updated and that this one is the master map.

I really want one map, which will be actively maintained. Do you plan on actively maintaining this master map Zippy?
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Awesome resource, thanks for putting that together.

E
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

daveh_cdn wrote:That's better!

I say that we edit the first post of this topic and link to this map instead. Also, edit the other posts which have links to other maps to say that they're no longer updated and that this one is the master map.

I really want one map, which will be actively maintained. Do you plan on actively maintaining this master map Zippy?
I think Michael and I can find the time to actively maintain the map (it is a joint effort). I will be able to re-generate the master map periodically based on the source maps.

- Michaels Map is general and will likely change periodically as he wants to update it.
- My urban map will likely be static.
- The third map I found has been static of years.

I propose I create a fourth a map for areas suggested by others. I may make this generally editable to allow people to add their edits.

Unfortunately the roll up procedure is manual but only takes 15 minutes to do. I have not been able to find away to do it automatically as I would prefer to not open it up to just anyone.

I will ping Michael and see about editing the original post and possibly an alternate approach.

I would recommend people edit this map which I can pull in peridically:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Hmmm, so now instead of 3 maps to confuse people we have 4?

I understand your logic, but a big part of me only wants there to be one map, but I guess that's not really going to work with this procedure. None the less, I shouldn't complain, lots of great spots on that map to try out.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Time to bump this again.