Grinds my GEARS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Grinds my GEARS

Post by cgates »

So I've been to lake St.pierre in calabogie last Sunday and again today let me just say I hope the people that leave a ton of garbage behind get a visit from the MNR when they are fishing.i picked up 8 beer cans along with empty smoke packs also there unwanted worms last Sunday all of it was left on the ice and to my surprise today there were more beer cans on the ice... It's just sad to see and people wonder why they stop stocking lakes....
There I feel better now
Chris
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Grinds my GEARS

Post by drake691 »

Try fishing the Kawathas it's even worse. I left today with 2 1/2 green garbage bags full of trash
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Ouch and I thought the empty coke cans, smashed beer bottles and coffee cups was bad in walleye bay at petrie... If you can bring it in then you can bring it out!!!
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

cgates wrote:So I've been to lake St.pierre in calabogie last Sunday and again today let me just say I hope the people that leave a ton of garbage behind get a visit from the MNR when they are fishing.i picked up 8 beer cans along with empty smoke packs also there unwanted worms last Sunday all of it was left on the ice and to my surprise today there were more beer cans on the ice... It's just sad to see and people wonder why they stop stocking lakes....
There I feel better now
Chris
I think this a problem in many places. I don't really understand why this happens, either these people don't understand what happens to this stuff in the spring or they don't fish in these lakes and rivers during summer season. I enjoy our waterways but don't enjoy the idea of this junk being In the same areas I fish in the summer. The other problem is when I come to use my shack and all of this garbage is around my shack because of someone that setup close to it for a day it makes it look like my garbage.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

My favourite has long been the empty propane tanks lodged halfway in the thickness of the ice... nothing dulls an auger blade quicker :lol: :lol: :lol:
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I think this a problem in many places. I don't really understand why this happens, either these people don't understand what happens to this stuff in the spring or they don't fish in these lakes and rivers during summer season.
Ignorance plain and simple. Unfortunately its only getting worse.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

Shirleys Bay is absolutely disgusting.... saw 5 or 6 perch, a pile of crap, puke, beer cans and cigarettes everywhere. Going to bring a garbage bag next time I go. It`s no wonder everyone thinks ice fisherman are a bunch of slobs, a lot of them are.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Chris,
Did you phone the OPP/MNR and report this?

Steve
Dobyns Army member
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

I know I will get some heat from this but, If it was up to me I would ban Ice Hut's. You want most of the garbage gone, get rid of the people that leave it there
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I know I will get some heat from this but, If it was up to me I would ban Ice Hut's. You want most of the garbage gone, get rid of the people that leave it there
Its more than just people who own shacks that leave garbage. Enforcement is really whats needed. That and every responsible fisherman who cleans up their own garbage to stand up and say enough is enough to the d-bags that leave crap out there. Realistically there is no sure fire way to stop it. Just gotta educate those who will listen and punish those who choose not to.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

TheDon wrote:Shirleys Bay is absolutely disgusting.... saw 5 or 6 perch, a pile of crap, puke, beer cans and cigarettes everywhere. Going to bring a garbage bag next time I go. It`s no wonder everyone thinks ice fisherman are a bunch of slobs, a lot of them are.
If you think Shirleys Bay is disgusting, you should visit some of the areas near Gatineau on the Ottawa River.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Sad indeed whenever you see garbage left behind from careless fisherman. No matter where you go there is garbage, I have been to the middle of nowhere northern ontario way back in the bush and you find Pepsi cans, beer bottles the odd timmies cup. Every remote area/lake I have been to in eastern ontario, northern ontario, BC and Quebec I have found garbage from hunters, fisherman and atv/skidoo traffic, people just don't care its that simple nothing more to it, there attitude is someone else will pick it up.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

RideauRiverSteve wrote:Chris,
Did you phone the OPP/MNR and report this?

Steve
No what good will that do. you should see the one old rundown hunt camp this looks like a garbage pit
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

I've been ice fishing for over 35 years, the only thing I leave behind is our my holes.
Pigs will be pigs.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

drake691 wrote:I know I will get some heat from this but, If it was up to me I would ban Ice Hut's. You want most of the garbage gone, get rid of the people that leave it there
I have an Ice hutt & don't leave garbage, folks in my area that have permanents don't seem to be the problem... It's the people that just are point blank ignorant.