Looking for a nice pan fish spot for my son's first time out

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Looking for a nice pan fish spot for my son's first time

Post by zippyfx »

xped wrote:I'd like to take my boys out to get used to their new fishing rods once the ice leaves. Dow's Lake seems like a great place.

Where exactly on Dow's Lake would you recommend? By the docks...the pavillion? I'm trying to think of a safe place that wouldn't have my kids standing on the bike path...or hooking bypassers!

I parked at the arboretum and walked down the hill and fished the south side near where the where the canal enters the lake. Also the creek by the arboretum with the foot bridge is a good spot.
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

zippyfx wrote:
xped wrote:I'd like to take my boys out to get used to their new fishing rods once the ice leaves. Dow's Lake seems like a great place.

Where exactly on Dow's Lake would you recommend? By the docks...the pavillion? I'm trying to think of a safe place that wouldn't have my kids standing on the bike path...or hooking bypassers!

I parked at the arboretum and walked down the hill and fished the south side near where the where the canal enters the lake. Also the creek by the arboretum with the foot bridge is a good spot.

Thanks! I never thought about that side of the lake.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

My 4 year old son has been shore fishing and ice fishing with me since before he was 2 years of age. He's been out with me over 2 dozen times. The key is to bring kids where there is TONS of action or else, they want to go back home. :lol: Another thing as mentioned before, bring lots of snacks and drinks.

The action is fast and furious at Dow's lake!!!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Walleye'm Fishing wrote:My 4 year old son has been shore fishing and ice fishing with me since before he was 2 years of age. He's been out with me over 2 dozen times. The key is to bring kids where there is TONS of action or else, they want to go back home. :lol: Another thing as mentioned before, bring lots of snacks and drinks.

Haha wow. Yeah that's what i`m looking for. Quick bites so he doesn't get bored (or bored as fast I should say)

Thanks for all the tips guys! Fish-Hawk is so awesome. I haven't been around in a while as my fishing days have been reduced since having a kid but now that he is a little older i`m looking forward to get out more, and be on here more.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

zippyfx wrote: Web site says April 25- 27 (http://www.poutmasters.com/home.htm)

I think my boys might like giving it a shot..

Would anyone mind recommending some child friendly spots (for someone who has not been to Russell)?

I`ll be looking around the castor this year also to try and find a nice spot for me and the kid. If/when I find anything i`ll let you know. Sure seems like most of it is occupied by private land though.... Finding a good pan fish spot on the Castor would be ideal for me since its so close to home.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

boutchilatouff wrote:
Walleye'm Fishing wrote:My 4 year old son has been shore fishing and ice fishing with me since before he was 2 years of age. He's been out with me over 2 dozen times. The key is to bring kids where there is TONS of action or else, they want to go back home. :lol: Another thing as mentioned before, bring lots of snacks and drinks.

Haha wow. Yeah that's what i`m looking for. Quick bites so he doesn't get bored (or bored as fast I should say)

Thanks for all the tips guys! Fish-Hawk is so awesome. I haven't been around in a while as my fishing days have been reduced since having a kid but now that he is a little older i`m looking forward to get out more, and be on here more.

This is awesome. Maybe I'll see you guys out there!

E
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Taking a two year old out is a GREAT way to bring'em up!!From experience with my 3 G/kids don't expect to fish long.Lots of snacks and willingness to explore is a must!Can't count number of times we launched boat only to put it back on trailer 1/2 hr. later to go find Gym set for them to play on or looking for "stuff" along shore.Show them it isn't an ordeal and you'll hook'em for life.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

gatekeeper wrote:Taking a two year old out is a GREAT way to bring'em up!!From experience with my 3 G/kids don't expect to fish long.Lots of snacks and willingness to explore is a must!Can't count number of times we launched boat only to put it back on trailer 1/2 hr. later to go find Gym set for them to play on or looking for "stuff" along shore.Show them it isn't an ordeal and you'll hook'em for life.
Great advice Thanks! I was expecting to be more playing around than fishing but if we can squeeze in a little more every time we go out i`ll be on the right path in getting a new fishing partner :D
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Ya the first few times I brought him out he spent more time playing with pine cones and throwing them in the water. Then I bought him his very own tackle box when he was 3 and he would run around to everyone showing them his tackle box and every lure (only under supervision of course). Now at five he is always asking when he can get out again. Showing them that fishing is not a big ordeal and under taking is some great advice. If you let them do what they want and have fun they come to love it as oppose to thinkin of fishing as a chore.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Phase 1 complete:

Brought my son to Sail last night to let him pick out some 1/16oz jigs and bobbers. Smart kid, he picked out perch coloured marabou jigs and thill balsa wood floaters.... couldn't argue with that!

Phase 2: Wait for soft water :s. Am I the only one checking online webcams of the river every day..lol
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Once the water is back in Dow's Lake, take the kids around the pavilion. The boat docks may be in place, if not, go around to the west side of the building. There is a cement dock, just go past the fuel pump and you will be all set. You are off the bike path and the panfish are starving if you head out the first few weeks after the lake is full. I stopped counting at 150 last spring. A small ice jig with a honey worm was all I used. Bring a pair of needle nose pliers as the odd one will inhale the hook. Bluegills, pumpkin seeds, perch, and crappie are there. A small float may make easier for the kids to cast, but you really don't need to get too far out to find fish.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

You can get a huge container of meal worms at any homehardware and many pet-food supply shops. If you want them soft and sinking soak them overnight in some salted water. If you want them to float leave em dried.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... meal+worms

Use them to 'chum at the same spot / time everyday and you'll attract more than enough excitement.

When my little one was just past 2yrs... she spent most of the time 'calling and feeding fish' for me "Just so daddy won't be sad if he doesn't catch some"!

They learn fast I tell ya...
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Pints wrote:Once the water is back in Dow's Lake, take the kids around the pavilion. The boat docks may be in place, if not, go around to the west side of the building. There is a cement dock, just go past the fuel pump and you will be all set. You are off the bike path and the panfish are starving if you head out the first few weeks after the lake is full. I stopped counting at 150 last spring. A small ice jig with a honey worm was all I used. Bring a pair of needle nose pliers as the odd one will inhale the hook. Bluegills, pumpkin seeds, perch, and crappie are there. A small float may make easier for the kids to cast, but you really don't need to get too far out to find fish.
Thanks for the tip! I can't wait for them to get water back in the canal. I`ve never really payed much attention to the canal before, but around what time of year t they let the water back in? I assume the wait for all the ice to be gone so they can clean the garbage before opening the locks...so might still be a long wait.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

IF you want to try by shore, there's a place near Bourget that is a perch spawning bed. It's a flooded area along the recreational trail and is only about 100 yards off the road. You can fish it from shore or even off the old trestle that is now the trail bridge. I have even seen people bring their small boats in there!!

It's only good for a couple more weeks though as it is pretty much a dry swamp in the summer.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Bourge ... 9478ca6fbe
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Hollywood wrote:IF you want to try by shore, there's a place near Bourget that is a perch spawning bed. It's a flooded area along the recreational trail and is only about 100 yards off the road. You can fish it from shore or even off the old trestle that is now the trail bridge. I have even seen people bring their small boats in there!!

It's only good for a couple more weeks though as it is pretty much a dry swamp in the summer.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Bourge ... 9478ca6fbe
Nice Thanks! I`ve heard about this but looking at google maps I couldn't find any water in Bourget..lol. Father in law lives there so we find ourselves in Bourget all the time. I`ll surely check it out.