Looking for a nice pan fish spot for my son's first time out

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Looking for a nice pan fish spot for my son's first time out

Post by boutchilatouff »

Hey guys,

As soon as this snow and ice melts I want to bring my son out on his first fishing day (most likely fishing hour..lol) He is only 2 years old and we all know their attention span at that age is quite low. I`m looking for a nice/safe shore fishing spot where I can easily catch any type of panfish. I`m looking for quantity, not quality. I figure if we can catch them quickly he might be more interested.

Being new to the region (I live in Russell) i`m not sure where to take him. I`ve never targeted pan fish other than back home in Northern Ontario where you can catch hundreds of jumbo perch in hours. I usually fish for walleye on the Ottawa River in a canoe or out in the Calabogie area for trout, but this won't be good fishing for a kid for many more years to come.

Thanks
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Looking for a nice pan fish spot for my son's first time

Post by fishin mission »

pm sent!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

If your ever in the city Dows lake is always a good bet. That's where I started bringing my nephew when he was 2. He's 5 now and always asks when he can go fishing with uncle again. It has good shore access all around the lake. Some hooks and worms should get you into a bunch of bluegills or perch. Bigger fish in there too like carp, bass, walleye, Muskie for your entertainment once the seasons open up. I liked bringing him there because the whole shore is well groomed which makes it safer and easier for the young ones.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

You guys brought 2 year olds? That's awesome. My son just turned 2, and I'm not sure he'd have the attention span to make it to the lake period.

We rented a cottage on White Lake in August, he should have plenty of perch and sunfish to catch there.

E
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Nice! Dow's lake is a great idea. Love the fact that its well groomed so it is safer.

Thanks! Can't wait to see how he'll do fishing.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

lapointeric wrote:You guys brought 2 year olds? That's awesome. My son just turned 2, and I'm not sure he'd have the attention span to make it to the lake period.

We rented a cottage on White Lake in August, he should have plenty of perch and sunfish to catch there.

E
Haven't brought my son fishing yet but can't wait to try. Probably won't turn out as well as I hope the first few times but i`ll keep trying. I need a fishing partner :)
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Hi,
Once the snow and ice are gone there will be the annual mudpout fishing derby right in Russell usually at the end of April or early May.
Keep an eye in the local paper or see a notice posted in your grocery store (Foodliner?)
David
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Super wrote:Hi,
Once the snow and ice are gone there will be the annual mudpout fishing derby right in Russell usually at the end of April or early May.
Keep an eye in the local paper or see a notice posted in your grocery store (Foodliner?)
David
Thanks for the heads up. I`ll keep an eye on that for sure.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Agree with the Dow's Lake suggestion!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

I always heard Cobbs lake creek was a great spot for mudpout. For panfish Dows is hard to beat. You can catch sunfish and bluegill on almost every cast on the right day. Theres a chance at a few nice bass and other species as well!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

boutchilatouff wrote:Nice! Dow's lake is a great idea. Love the fact that its well groomed so it is safer.

Thanks! Can't wait to see how he'll do fishing.
I took my 6 and 4 year old there last summer and it worked out well. You can set up a blanket for snacks and other activities and alternate between them and fishing as the attention span dictates.... The cyclists tend to be watchfully but watch that the child doesn't bolt in front of them.

Good steady fishing action, caught blue gill, pumpkin seed and perch.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

boutchilatouff wrote:
Super wrote:Hi,
David
Thanks for the heads up. I`ll keep an eye on that for sure.
Web site says April 25- 27 (http://www.poutmasters.com/home.htm)

I think my boys might like giving it a shot..

Would anyone mind recommending some child friendly spots (for someone who has not been to Russell)?
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

I agree... Dows lake is probably the safest and most productive spot.
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

I'd like to take my boys out to get used to their new fishing rods once the ice leaves. Dow's Lake seems like a great place.

Where exactly on Dow's Lake would you recommend? By the docks...the pavillion? I'm trying to think of a safe place that wouldn't have my kids standing on the bike path...or hooking bypassers!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

How about the Kars boat launch at the end of Old Wellington??

Can be a little busy at times but I have seen kids getting panfish there before.