Where to go for Lakers in Quebec?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Where to go for Lakers in Quebec?

Post by Gord »

MLR wrote:
smitty55 wrote:When using this method, are fish still releasable if they are not within the measurements? Never used gorge hooks before, so I don't know.
nope.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gord wrote:
MLR wrote:
smitty55 wrote:When using this method, are fish still releasable if they are not within the measurements? Never used gorge hooks before, so I don't know.
nope.
True, it can be touchy if you let the fish go for too long so that it swallows the bait deep, but if you set the hook early enough it will lessen that possibility. With any lure or bait there is always that chance that a fish gets hooked deep. On the plus side, we have never caught any greys under the size limit as it seems these large baits tend to catch larger fish. I guess if someone had this concern a similar set up could be used with a single circle hook as opposed to the twin gorge hooks. Or even a quick strike rig for that matter so you can set the hook right away.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Until recently posted by another member here I had no idea that 10lb lakers could possibly be almost as old as 20 years.

Therefore I'd be real hesitant to keep any if I didn't have to.

Its kinda like using large chubs and certain hooks for musky. Chances are the time you set that hook it is too deep and the fish is toast.

For lakers I have always preferred to jig. Never had too much luck trolling.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Bah... Take the 10 pounders. They've already been breeding since 5-6 lbs (4-6 yrs old), and until they put in an upper limit on the slot size, it's fair game.

I am glad, however, that most of FH either didn't mention, or doesn't know about, the lakes I go to... :wink:
Go ahead on Pemich, 31 Mile and MacGregor... There are "some" lakers there. Stay away on tourney weekend, though. Much too busy!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

GuinnessGuy wrote:I am glad, however, that most of FH either didn't mention, or doesn't know about, the lakes I go to... :wink: !
So, are you just teasing the OP? Come on, fess up and give Mob77 a name lol. There are lots of fairly well known Laker lakes (for some folks) out there, but being new to Grey fishing is why the he asked for advice on where to go. Plus he's in a kayak so probably has a short window for early season shallow fish. Pm's also work well hehe.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

One interesting option for a kayaker is targeting splakes, they are getting heavily stocked in the outaouais region. Smaller lakes, pretty much all have a public launch, easy fish to catch, chance at a ten pounder, awesome fight, awesome table fare and they get ignored by the speck guys, laker fishermen and by those that consider them a lab frankenfish. Some lakes have both lakers and splake. Stocking reports are readily available online.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

smitty55 wrote:
GuinnessGuy wrote:I am glad, however, that most of FH either didn't mention, or doesn't know about, the lakes I go to... :wink: !
So, are you just teasing the OP? Come on, fess up and give Mob77 a name lol. There are lots of fairly well known Laker lakes (for some folks) out there, but being new to Grey fishing is why the he asked for advice on where to go. Plus he's in a kayak so probably has a short window for early season shallow fish. Pm's also work well hehe.

Cheers
Nope. Won't give out lake names. Sorry.
I left FH 3 years ago because I got flamed pretty bad for asking that people stop giving away "honey-holes", because, once you've let the internet know, you can bet it's fished out in a year or 2. (Does anybody here remember when Lake X was outed?) I came back, recently, because I was told some of the "sh!t-stirrers" or trolls were gone... For the most part, except for Kanye-West-from-the-Valley, they are.

There ARE lakers in Pemich, 31 Mile, MacGregor and Blue Sea. Start there, and talk to the locals on the way up, or at the bait shops. Maybe even call the Federation Quebecoise des chasseurs et pecheurs, or the Quebec Ministry of Natural Resources.
Besides, with the winter we've had, and the absence of spring, the window won't be so short that the OP will miss out on anything by discovering a few lakes. Lakers will likely be shallow until late June this year.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Manny wrote:One interesting option for a kayaker is targeting splakes, they are getting heavily stocked in the outaouais region. Smaller lakes, pretty much all have a public launch, easy fish to catch, chance at a ten pounder, awesome fight, awesome table fare and they get ignored by the speck guys, laker fishermen and by those that consider them a lab frankenfish. Some lakes have both lakers and splake. Stocking reports are readily available online.
By splake you mean half speckled half laker? I would love to know where I could catch one of these, just catch and release to say I caught one. I have caught many speckled/brook trout in my life but never splake. I am told they are extremely difficult to farm. They are sensitive to warm shallow water but hey grow like crazy.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

rex.stpierre wrote:I would love to know where I could catch one of these, just catch and release to say I caught one.
There are lots of lakes in Ontario and Quebec that are now stocked with Splake that used to be Specks or Rainbows. Check out the stockings lists. I also wouldn't worry so much about releasing them all as they are meant to be a put and take and for the most part they are sterile anyways. If you go up the Chemin Bois Franc there are plenty of lakes up that way that have Splake in them now. Like Manny said, even closer too, and there's lots to like about them.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter