Where to go for Lakers in Quebec?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mob77
Participant
Participant

Where to go for Lakers in Quebec?

Post by mob77 »

I'm new to fishing for Lake Trout but I have a kayak and I want to get out as soon as the season opens to have a try at catching some Lake Trout. I'm specificially looking at the lakes on the Quebec side, north of the city.

The thing is I'm not sure which lakes are known as being good lakes for lake trout. I assume the bigger lakes are the ones that I should target (i.e Lac Poisson Blanc, Lac Blue Sea, 31 mile lake) but would appreciate any feedback/suggestions that you might have.

Thanks!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Where to go for Lakers in Quebec?

Post by smitty55 »

For a start there probably will still be ice on most of the lakes this year by April 26th so you'll have to wait a bit. My suggestion would be 31 Mile or a bit closer on Lac Pemichangan at Point Comfort. 31 Mile can get kinda rough on windy days for a kayak so be aware of wind conditions and hit the lakes real early in the day. Also be aware that this year the minimum size has now been reduced to 45cm/17.72in. Good luck with it.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
mob77
Participant
Participant

Post by mob77 »

Thanks - Appreciate the feedback smitty!

Just one question - You said that "the minimum size has now been reduced to 45cm/17.72in."

Doe this mean that you're not allowed to keep any fish that is smaller than 45cm/17.72in? You're only allowed to keep large fish (those over 45 cm)?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Lakers are open in some zones in Ontario........... fish in Quebec don't speak englash! And in Ontario they bite lures and bait not Joe Louis and may west :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Some good ice fishing for lakers in Kwebec!

:lol: :lol:

*Sorry couldnt help it!

I'd second the comment above. There are a bunch of Ontario lakes.
But 31 Mile is a good bet close to Ottawa on that side.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

The guys who don't even fish lakers in Quebec chumming in with nothing as usual :lol:

You can't go wrong fishing on any of the lakes mentioned. Early in the season you don't have to venture far in a kayak. Lakers can be caught fairly shallow and along shoreline structure. I've caught them in 15FOW early spring. Just tuck into a small bay if the wind picks up.
mob77 wrote:
Just one question - You said that "the minimum size has now been reduced to 45cm/17.72in."

Doe this mean that you're not allowed to keep any fish that is smaller than 45cm/17.72in? You're only allowed to keep large fish (those over 45 cm)?

That is correct.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Well if you plan on fishing opener next week you'll have to drag your kayak on ice. :lol: Dill a hole next to your kayak and jig away... Now that would be an epic photo...

In the springtime, I've caught lakers from shore in less than 5 feet of water when I was fishing at the mouth of a creek. Troll your kayak back and forth in front of inflowing creek mouths.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

If you do head up that way early season here's a little hint. Stop at the store on the right just as you reach Gracefield and get yourself a few frozen herring/cisco and a pack of gorge hooks, those double hook rigs that come with a bait needle. Thread the needle through the mouth and out the tail end. The hooks should line up with the jaw line. Cast out and let it sit on the bottom on a free spool. If a Grey picks it up let it run before setting the hook. It's not unusual to for the fish to run with the bait, drop it and then take it head first. If you decide to shore fish or just taking a break or even feel like just floating for a while it's worth a try. Lots of the locals only fish like that in May/June and we've caught plenty off the dock on Pemich early season in 25-40 fow. As a plus you can cut a strip off the tail/side of the herring and use it as a trailer behind whatever spoon you might use.

One last thing mob77. On 31Mile south end and Pemichangan there is a weekend derby early June every year. Stay Away. It's way too busy and Le Ministere are out having a heyday checking everybody. I've even seen them beach their boat and check out a campsite. They love derbies. Lots of boats to check and fines to lay. Real easy for them too, as many boats are anchored. If you can go midweek all the better.

Good luck with your adventure. Seeing as you're new to Laker fishing I'm sure some other guys here could chime in with some favorite spring tactics. You certainly are limited in a kayak. Have fun :)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Great posts Smitty and Tip up! I find myself looking for a "like" button more and more!

Craig
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

The guys who don't even fish lakers in Quebec
Well tip-up i didn't know you followed me and knew where i fish just for your info i carry both licenses and fish in Quebec a lot. But next time your following me into Quebec fishing bring a case of beer please!!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes thanks Tippy

How do you know where I fish?

For the record....31 Mile and Macgregor....

In fact one of my best buddies has a cottage on Mc!

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:P
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

smitty55 wrote:If you do head up that way early season here's a little hint. Stop at the store on the right just as you reach Gracefield and get yourself a few frozen herring/cisco and a pack of gorge hooks, those double hook rigs that come with a bait needle. Thread the needle through the mouth and out the tail end. The hooks should line up with the jaw line. Cast out and let it sit on the bottom on a free spool. If a Grey picks it up let it run before setting the hook. It's not unusual to for the fish to run with the bait, drop it and then take it head first. If you decide to shore fish or just taking a break or even feel like just floating for a while it's worth a try.

Cheers

Smitty,

When using this method, are fish still releasable if they are not within the measurements? Never used gorge hooks before, so I don't know.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Make sure to carefully check the QC regs in zone 10 as many lakes (including Blue Sea, Pemichagan, 31 Mile) have a minimum size of 55cm.

http://mrnf-faune.gouv.qc.ca/peche/
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Walleye'm Fishing wrote:Make sure to carefully check the QC regs in zone 10 as many lakes (including Blue Sea, Pemichagan, 31 Mile) have a minimum size of 55cm.

http://mrnf-faune.gouv.qc.ca/peche/
Good one there. Be sure to check exceptions.

Zone 10: Lac de l’Achigan, Lac de l'Argile, Lac Blue Sea, Lac Boisseau, Lac Cayamant (46°06'56 " N 76°16'15"W), Lac du Cerf, Lac Chapleau (46°14'54'' N 74°56'14'' W), Lac du Corbeau (46°12' N 75°28' W), Lac Danford, Lac de la Décharge (46°07' 06'' N 74°48'12'' W), Lac Désert (46°17' N 74°54' W), Lac Dumont, Lac Earhart, Lac de l’Écluse, Lac Gagnon (Preston and Gagnon cantons), Lac Galarneau, Lac Gatineau, Grand lac des Cèdres (46°18'14'' O N 76°06'47'' W), Lac Grand Rond, Lac Heney, Lac Kensington, Lac à la Loutre (45°59' N 74°39' W), Lac Marie-Louise, Lac La Minerve (46°13'28 " N 75°01'42" W), Grand lac Nominingue, Lac Patterson, Lac Pemichangan, Petit lac des Cèdres (46°16'30'' O N 76°04'30'' W), Petit lac du Cerf (46°17' 20'' N 75°31'51'' W), Lac Petit Preston, Lac Quinn, Lac Rognon, Lac Saint-Germain (46°14' N 75°30' W), Lac Serpent, Lac Simon, Lac des Trente et Un Milles, Lac Trois Montagnes, Lac Vert (46°03'19'' O N 76°52'53'' W), Lac Viceroy, Lac Xavier;

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
mob77
Participant
Participant

Post by mob77 »

Great advice folks! Much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting out on the water for a try at those lakers as soon as the ice is out of some of these lakes!