Early Dalhousie Lake area report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Early Dalhousie Lake area report

Post by campnfish »

G'day gents,

Took Monday off and wet my line a little around the Dalhousie Lake area. Started on Lavant Mill road at the bridge, casting into the current and allowing the lure to slowly sink to the bottom. A few bites, one small perch and that was it. Still ice in the middle of the lake, but wide open around the rapids.

Was going to go up to the dam, but saw the 'private road - no trespassing' sign and decided against it. Have spoken to a few of the locals last year at Paul's Creek Campground and they said they were up fishing around the dam with no issues. For the record, I don't advocate anyone put themselves at risk, but I heard the walleye fishing around the dam is decent.

The Miss was high and fast. Tried a few pools with no luck, various crank and spinner baits, some worms in there for good measure. I was told to look for a waterfall 'right beside the road' around Fallsbrook, didn't see anything that I would call a waterfall though. If anyone wants to throw me a clue as to where this mythical waterfall is, I'll trade you the location of some wild garlic in the area. Put my line in a few creeks around the area (the stocked ones) but they were again, high and fast.

So all in all I think I was a bit too early. Heading back that way at the end of the month, hopefully the water will be lower by then.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Early Dalhousie Lake area report

Post by smitty55 »

campnfish wrote:I'll trade you the location of some wild garlic in the area.
:evil: :evil: Never ever give out those spots bud.Are you sure it's crown? Those spots are fragile as it is and the next thing you know shovels and garbage bags and more people show up and they are gone. Believe me I know. I happen to be lucky enough to live in an area that has some real good leek spots and in May there seems to be a weird influx of vehicles parked on the side of the road out this way. I came across two guys myself two years ago walking down the road with bags of leeks. Now they had a "story" prepared or I guess there was a small chance it was legit, but quite often people are trespassing and stealing.

p.s. That spot for garlic aint worth the trade anyway. You'd lose on that deal hehe.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

The garlic is indeed on crown land. I get your point though, folks would be abusing it for sure. I only take a couple jam jars worth and don't take more than half the bulbs in a cluster. Need to respect the resource so its there for years to come.

At the same point though, I can't just be asking someone to give up their honey hole without offering something in return....so if anyone does know where this waterfall is, let me know what you would like in return for that information.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The only "waterfall" I can think of on Dalhousie is up by the other bridge (not by the lodge)
I wouldn't even call it that...more like a spring.

The walleye fishing is very good there but it is very rocky and easy to snag.

Apart from that I've been up the Miss a ways and haven't seen a fall.

All the land behind the camp ground used to be owned by my buddy's grandfather up until a few years ago.
He's on here also. His name is Canmoore.

Shoot him a PM and he can tell you a lot more about Dalhousie Lake.
HOCKEY HEAD
Participant
Participant

Post by HOCKEY HEAD »

Hi guys a different topic I'm planning to try my luck on Dalhousie lake Friday but I'm not able to find a boat launch. can you direct me to one?
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Have you tried using Google to find a ramp?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CN wrote:Have you tried using Google to find a ramp?
Lol, yep that's a hard one. First thing that pops up. "Public boat launches are situated at the east end of the lake beside Sylvania Lodge and at the west end of the lake at Centennial Park."

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Correct me if i'm wrong but what could you be casting crank and spinnerbaits for in the middle of April there, aren't walleye closed then?
Cy