Ashby Lake Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ashby Lake Report

Post by campnfish »

So a buddy has a cottage on Ashby Lake, said the ice is 23" thick still - 11" clear and 12" white ice.

Should be open by the end of May :)
Attachments
image853.jpg
image853.jpg (81.54 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Re: Ashby Lake Report

Post by gatekeeper »

Haven't heard that name in many years.I used to go there as a teenager(50+ years ago)when it was known locally as 30 island Lake.It was infested with SMB.Had a few what they called "Grey" trout(Lakers).We used to portage to King,Fox,Bark,etc for Rainbows and Speckles.We stayed at the cottages If you could call 4 walls and windows without electricity,water etc cottages in bay by access ramp.How's the fish'n now???Thanx for bringing back some great memories.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Fishing is great up on Ashby! The lakers are healthy, despite the on again, off again stocking program by MNR. It used to be a fish sanctuary, not sure that's the case anymore. I was actually talking to Steve Lawrance, the MNR guy out of Bancroft. He was saying that the lakers in Ashby / Fox / Doig / King are a specific species of laker which they use to stock other lakes.

You're not joking about the bass - lots and lots of them everywhere. Great spot to hit on the opening weekend. Never had much luck on Fox or King, but then again we usually only go once or twice a year.
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Gonna start a whole book here.We used to go mainly for Rainbows on King & Fox.Long lining(200') plus with just a minnow on a hook behind rowed boat.Spectacular to see "Bows" rock out of water with bait!!Used to call SMB in Ashby "Black Trout".They were less than 12" on average,but,1000'sof them.Great place to start kids out fishing.
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

The trout in there are a weird strain, I have only seen a couple green lakers in that lake chain.

The closing of the winter season for lake trout has helped a lot in those lakes, it was too easy to get off the main snowmobile trail and access them.

Now there is an island on Barker that is going up with the Algonquin land claim, lets see how that all works out for the lake.

I have never seen a brookie in there, rainbows are stocked in king but have not caught one.
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

"Little" Fox was the "Speck" Lakes.Was like catching Perch in the spring!Was always an adventure walking Portages.Ran into Bears,Real Wolves(Timber),not those coyotes.One small boat on lake owned by people who rented cottages on Ashby.Had to row across Fox to get to Little fox,so,would troll for rainbows while crossing.Always fun.Thanx for memories guys.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

The wildlife up there is still flourishing. Hear the wolves at night, lots of deer, a few bears etc.

So you heard the island on Barker is part of the land claim? I heard it was the big island in Ashby (Horseshoe) that was part of it. Maybe both?

There are two access trails to Fox - one off the road, one from Ashby. They don't stock Fox anymore so we never fish it, still see the oldtimers up there in their rowboats though, trolling in front of the big rock face. I think the trapper has a line that runs to the island on Fox, guy has a place on Doig and fairly certain he owns the 500 acre block above Doig. We found a trail that leads from the back of the swamp on Little Fox to Doig, not sure how it is in the summer though.
mikepa
Participant
Participant

Post by mikepa »

hey guys i know this is a little dated into this thread.

I was wondering if you guys know about the bass fishing here on Ashby Lake? all about the SM and LM bass fights!
looking to make a nice trek up there for the weekend.
Cottage rental is an option (if you know of any), but always preferred island camping. do you know if the lake has any islands that can accommodate a couple tents to camp out for a few nights? ....

thanks
mike