Preventing out of season bass strikes.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
xped
Participant
Participant

Preventing out of season bass strikes.

Post by xped »

In the past, I tended to fish only once bass season opened. At that point, whatever decided to strike the lure of choice was good! I'm now chomping at the bit to get on the water and have circled the Walleye/Pike May date on my calendar.

I really don't want to target out of season fish or for that matter even catch one by my own error. I know enough not to pitch/flip a frog into a potential spawning bed but feel a little less knowledgeable on what else I should not be doing. How do I target walleye and pike while minimizing the hungry bass strikes? Are there obvious lure choices to stay away from? Obvious locations to stay away from on lakes/rivers?

Just trying to prevent fellow fisherman and conservation officers from angrily accusing me of deliberately fishing for bass. :)

Seeking knowledge!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Preventing out of season bass strikes.

Post by fishin mission »

I believe the rule is you catch a bass you move!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Stay out of the shallows and you will more than likelt be alright. Bass pretty much will hit anything so the only thing you can control is how deep you are fishing. If I ventured out, I would be trying to stay as deep as possible because bedding bass will be inthe warmer, shallower water.

If you do end up catching a bass, let it go as quick as possible and move spots.

Short of just not fishing, there really is no way to keep youfrom catching a bass out of season.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

xped wrote:
Just trying to prevent fellow fisherman and conservation officers from angrily accusing me of deliberately fishing for bass. :)

Seeking knowledge!
Good luck with that if you are fishing out of a bass boat. Every spring the arm chair conservation officers on fishing forums come out making accusations of sightings of OOS bass fishing. Bass boat in the water + guy fishing = poaching in their eyes. Some people can't seem to grasp the idea that you can catch a lot of different types of fish out of a bass boat.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

I'd agree with the above - stay away from shallow areas, sandy areas, docks and structure close to shore. If you're just going to do some catch and release, consider bending your barbs in, makes it easier to get the hook out and the fish back in the water.

In my limited experience with MNR, they'll usually watch you for a bit before they approach. If you see some kind of authority out there, wave and go have a chat. Poachers don't do that.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

MLR wrote:
Good luck with that if you are fishing out of a bass boat. Every spring the arm chair conservation officers on fishing forums come out making accusations of sightings of OOS bass fishing. Bass boat in the water + guy fishing = poaching in their eyes. Some people can't seem to grasp the idea that you can catch a lot of different types of fish out of a bass boat.
Same recurrent subject every year.....redundant to say the least.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

MLR wrote:
xped wrote:

Seeking knowledge!
You are absolutely right on that one. You can't be fishing for pike if you own a Bass Boat. :wink:
This year I'm thinking of getting a Pike Boat, a Walleye Boat and a Trout Boat. :roll:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Do they make Perch and Blue Gill Boats ???? 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

campnfish wrote: If you're just going to do some catch and release, consider bending your barbs in, makes it easier to get the hook out and the fish back in the water.

In my limited experience with MNR, they'll usually watch you for a bit before they approach. If you see some kind of authority out there, wave and go have a chat. Poachers don't do that.
SERIOUSLY.BAD.ADVICE......

1) If it isn't bass season you cannot LEGALLY go catch and release. The MNR won't buy that and will fine your butt

2) If fising for pike in shallows, use pike lures. An MNR officer is more likely to believe the bass is incidental if caught on a spoon. Likely not a jig.

Catching incidental fish is par for the course. I highly doubt an MNR officer is gonna come charging over if you happen to catch and release 1 or 2 bass.

If bass are hitting and the pike aren't....move on.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
campnfish wrote: If bass are hitting and the pike aren't....move on.
There you have it.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

I wouldn't be shy to fish the shallows for walleye and pike in the spring because of a few accidental bass hook ups. Pike and walleye can be caught real shallow in spring. I've seen em right up to the shore line. Like everyone says if you get a bunch of bass in one spot move on but I wouldn't over look the shallows completly as you'll be missing a lot of prime water that may have pike or walleye.
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

MLR wrote:
xped wrote:

Seeking knowledge!
I wish I had a bass boat...just a 14 foot tinny, though.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

StarTzar wrote:Do they make Perch and Blue Gill Boats ???? 8)

Yes but they look an awful lot like a bass boat. The main difference is the lack of rods on the front deck. and a small tackle bag.
Other than that they are identical.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

xped wrote:
MLR wrote:
xped wrote:

Seeking knowledge!
I wish I had a bass boat...just a 14 foot tinny, though.
AHA a poacher. Tinny fishing. Tinny is a protected species!
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Doesn't sound like there's any "rules" to follow. In the end, it sounds like common sense reigns.

If in doubt...move out. :)

I have quite a few buddies living in the Southern US who are avid fishermen...they can't comprehend what it means to have a bass season or that a spawn bed would be off limits for a period of time. It's like Christmas all year long down there. I'm jealous!