Redhorse

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Redhorse

Post by smitty55 »

Hey guys. I really enjoy my Spring culinary traditions like Leeks and Fiddleheads, Crappie and Barbot. This year I would like to add canned Sucker to the list as I've heard some really good things about it. As a kid we used to get a bunch of guys together and bring nets to Greens Creek down off Innes rd., but that involved wading and driving the fish into waiting nets in very cold water, which I'm not into doing anymore. So I'm looking for a spot to shore fish for Redhorse on the Rideau, Mississippi, or even the Tay, in the Smiths Falls, Perth, Almonte, CP or Arnprior areas.
All suggestions would be well appreciated. Pms welcome.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Redhorse

Post by zippyfx »

I would also be interested in spots for sucker and red horses along the rideau and Ottawa if anyone has any suggestions.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

I pursue redhorse and need one over 18" for Kayak Wars.

Here's a little general info I'll share.
Use to catch silver redhorse in the spring when Brown's Inlet got filled, but that was decades ago
and have no idea how that population is doing.

Also it aint carp but silver redhorse that have yellow or gold fins that are in the Carp river.

Galetta is a fish sanctuary till the opening of walleye and pike to help protect the mighty
River redhorse. Yes, its getting tougher to find suck face. I'll be looking for shorthead and greater
redhorse around here soon and will be swinging a fly.
You may see them but getting them to bite is another thing. :wink:

Brent
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

Let me know how your culinary adventures go with the bottom sucking Redfin Sucker. We used to net them as kids and sell them to the Chinese restaurant owner who used them as fertilizer for his garden.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Valleyboy wrote:We used to net them as kids and sell them to the Chinese restaurant owner who used them as fertilizer for his garden.
:idea:

A synapse just closed lol. Are you fom the Prior? I just remembered hearing that same story from a bud of mine who grew up there. I'll have to give him a call. Were you netting them in a creek?
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Oh the memories.
I night like this reminds me of rubber boots and either smelt nets or sucker nets and my dad taking me out way past my bed time to catch literally trunk loads and I mean real 1975 Chevrolet impala 4 bodies size trunk loads of fish.
We never ate any, yet as was mentioned above, he would take them in to town to some old Italians for their gardens. Oh and truck loads of horse manure too. The manure part I do not miss. Lol. And it was a really a truck used for that not the impala lol.
As for suckers, I have no idea of species but not 500 feet from where I stand typing this, we have tonnes on the rivier Blanche here in Gatineau. I may wonder over tonight and see if they are running.

Look up rue Hamel in Gatineau and you will see where the river is. I spotted them last spring in droves.
Cheers,
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

In general this is where i usually find suckers.
Small creek or river mouths. This time of the year if you can find a creek that flows into a bigger body of water try there.
Also i find them in numbers by the dams. They like to keep in bunches in pools.
I do not have any points as i am not all that familiar with the area but just some general info.
Sucker makes good catfish bait
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Marko wrote: Sucker makes good catfish bait
I'm from the west coast so forgive me if I sound way too dumb.... but what's the difference? Catfish / Sucker?
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Thanks...

I'd google'd that also...

... brings me back to the same question.

What's the difference ....?

Better yet where does one find them?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

MichaelGA wrote:Thanks...

I'd google'd that also...

... brings me back to the same question.

What's the difference ....?

Better yet where does one find them?
Carp, Redhorse, and Suckers are similar in the fact that they are mostly insectivores and mostly eat by mouthing food and spitting out what they don't like. Redhorse and Suckers require detailed investigation to identify (colours, mouth patterns; Checkout: http://moxostoma.com/). Carp can be found on the Ottawa and Rideau as well in areas where there is freshwater. I have not yet found spots for suckers and redhorse.

Catfish are ominores; Bigger cats are almost exclusively piscavores (eat fish); They have a spine in each of their pectoral fins and dorsal fins. Catfish can be found anywhere along the Ottawa river after dark. They don't have sucker type mouths. Off the bottom in deep water with deadbait or minnow and bobber if 3-6ft of water. I have caught them from Shirleys bay to Petrie Island; Best time to catch the big ones is iceout.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

Way over here to the west the Grand River is loaded with them ;)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

MichaelGA wrote:Better yet where does one find them?
Right in you back yard Michael, but the area from Almonte to Pakenham is a sanctuary until May 10. Although with the late season this year there may be a chance to get some in the pool at the top of the rapids.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Just went for a wonder to the area I mentioned above. The water has lowered which is a good sign, down about 14-18"'s from last week. Also a lot less debris floating down. It I amazing how much debris gets wept up in a spring melt. In 20 minutes we saw PVC chairs, floating down, countless plastic bottles from water to motor oil and frankly way too much styrofoam blocks and packaging material. My daughter who is five was pretty upset, good for her as she realized it is not good for her fish.

Ok off my soapbox, and reporting not seeing any carp or suckers as of yet, last year it did not matter the time of day you would see tonnes of them..

Will keep you posted as it changes.
Kerrazy

On a side note nasty residential fire his morning in our area of Gatineau, I hope it was not one of my fellow fish-hawkers.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

SALMON wrote:Way over here to the west the Grand River is loaded with them ;)
I`ve caught them in Dunnville. Boy do they come in numbers there....along with the suckers lol.
We`d go night fishing for them on a warmer night. It was a lot of fun