Kitties

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Kitties

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Has anyone ventured out yet for any kitties?

The Ottawa looks a bit like a toilet bowl at the moment and the Rideau canal hasnt been opened yet (NO CARP!)

Itching to get out in the coming weeks.

Not looking for any spots just wondering if they've (kitties) have started eating yet.
big_al_395
Participant
Participant

Re: Kitties

Post by big_al_395 »

Went out for a few hours on the castor this weekend, and didnt catch anything. One short and sheepish bite. Might be a little early considering the winter we had...
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Spent a couple of hours looking for cats last week on some stream off the Ottawa but no luck. The Ottawa was looking to fast and all the good spots with slack water were jammed up with ice chunks.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Try Greens creek underneath the aviation parkway bridge. The water is high and the current is a bit fast but they are there!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

lvace wrote:Try Greens creek underneath the aviation parkway bridge. The water is high and the current is a bit fast but they are there!
I believe you're talking about bullhead/barbotte/mudpout/.... The OP was referring to channel cats. No big deal, it's a common mixup in threads and some people figure anything with whiskers is a catfish, but it's a different species.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

smitty55 wrote:
lvace wrote:Try Greens creek underneath the aviation parkway bridge. The water is high and the current is a bit fast but they are there!
I believe you're talking about bullhead/barbotte/mudpout/.... The OP was referring to channel cats. No big deal, it's a common mixup in threads and some people figure anything with whiskers is a catfish, but it's a different species.

Cheers

ah jeez man...

just as I thought I was getting things sorta sorted out you go and toss in another few names of fish i've never seen!
LOL
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

smitty55 wrote:

Cheers
Are they not all from the same family? That is why I said that bridge as he just said kitties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameiurus

Sorry if I am off base! I am just curious and the knownledge will help me in the future!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Those are bridgecats.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Check out this in Russell http://www.poutmasters.com
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL

Yes I meant channel cats!

After reading a great post a few years back between Dan (forget his handle on here) and Joco (WHERE ARE YOU BUDDY????)
I decided to head on down to a spot near Vicky Island.

Caught nothing but on my next trip out to Andy Hayden my daughter nabbed a nice one!
I was determined to get one!

Fisherguy33(Yan R) got me onto my 1st that year and I was hooked! Fun species!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I have a kitty spot i might check out this weekend I'm sure they will be there!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

lvace wrote:
smitty55 wrote:

Cheers
Are they not all from the same family? That is why I said that bridge as he just said kitties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameiurus

Sorry if I am off base! I am just curious and the knownledge will help me in the future!
Like I said Ivace, no big deal. Same family, different genus and species. I was just pointing out the difference in what you were referring to compared to Jimmy referring to channel cats. I've seen it often enough in threads talking about cleaning and eating "catfish" where some folks were talking about channel cats and others bullheads. I was just clarifying any misconceptions as I first fished greens Creek in the 60's and have never seen a catfish come out of it. Lots of bullhead though, anywhere along its length.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

A good way to know if the cat bite is on is if the dandelions are out. As soon as they are out, the bite is on...
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

GuinnessGuy wrote:A good way to know if the cat bite is on is if the dandelions are out. As soon as they are out, the bite is on...
I have always went by the crab apple trees... when they start to blossom it's
time to load up on the mickies!!