Kitties

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Kitties

Post by smitty55 »

GuinnessGuy wrote:A good way to know if the cat bite is on is if the dandelions are out. As soon as they are out, the bite is on...
Right on. That's exactly what I use for timing my barbot fishing. Worms are up for picking at that time as well. I would imagine it applies to catfish too.
Like Chappee said, I've heard of folks using the apple trees as well for the mickies(bullheads) and for the sucker run.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I like this thread, I'd love to get me some kitties! Pigales is getting expensive...

:lol: On a serious note, any advice for a first timer? Would you recommend a bobber or some type of carolina rig? :geek:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
abrigger
Participant
Participant

Post by abrigger »

@ShawnD,

I have always just used a pickerel rig with a large bobber. Split a dew worm on the hooks. 6' down in about 9' feet of water. Last hour before sunset. That's what works where I am, Hazley Bay, Ottawa River near Pembroke. When the smallies stop hittin' the cats are comin' out!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

ShawnD wrote:I like this thread, I'd love to get me some kitties! Pigales is getting expensive...

:lol: On a serious note, any advice for a first timer? Would you recommend a bobber or some type of carolina rig? :geek:
A carolina rig is probably the easiest way to get started with either worms or cutbait. Egg and bullet sinkers will work but tend to drift in the current. I like to use no roll sinkers.

I have found bobbers to work well in shallower water (3-6 ft) especially when your using live bait. I love watching a lighted bobber careening across the water :)
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Hook worm and sinker. Simple and effective on the cats. Sit back and hang on.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

ShawnD wrote:I like this thread, I'd love to get me some kitties! Pigales is getting expensive...

I hear that place is good for catching crabs. ;)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

StarTzar wrote:I hear that place is good for catching crabs. ;)
Ask Mav :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Generally, water temp needs to be 50 for the cats to be on, I suppose that could coincide with the dandelions coming out. From shore, I use pickerel rigs. If I can't get a 3oz sinker to stick easily, there's too much current. Bullhead are biting here now
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

fisherguy33 wrote: Bullhead are biting here now
Yan you must mean barbotte right ? lol

Btw does Taylor Creek still get fished for barbot? That was always a fun time when I lived in Ottawa. I know you can't park close like before for a long time now but it would still be a very good spot. We would target nights when the habs were in the playoffs, so it was nice and quiet lol.
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

OK, so here's a really stupid question. I thought I knew what the Aviation parkway was... and I thought I knew what Green's Creek was... but I don't see any place where the two meet????

Perhaps its just too late tonight.

Feeling dumb.

Help!
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

I couldn't let this thread go by without chiming in.
Bullheads are just a pain in the butt...especially when carp fishing. They wont leave canned corn alone lol.
They can be had just about everywhere just let your bait sit on the bottom.

Channel cats are a different story. Big heads, big tails = fierce fighters. If you can find some 10+lbs it can be very much fun.
I`ve caught them on hot dogs, chicken liver tied in a gauze (like a roe bag....just a liver bag lol), few worms on a hook, bbqed pork fat (bbq leftovers) and sucker chunks.
I would catch a sucker or two, take the scales and the guts out. Cut it in 1 inch steaks and let it sit outside for a day or two. The stinker the better.

Set up is very simple. 1-2 oz weights, circle hook size anywhere from 1.0 to 3.0. I usually tie it on some sort of a flouro leader 20-30lb.
Sit down, open a beer and enjoy the sun
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

scarkner wrote:OK, so here's a really stupid question. I thought I knew what the Aviation parkway was... and I thought I knew what Green's Creek was... but I don't see any place where the two meet????

Perhaps its just too late tonight.

Feeling dumb.

Help!
The aviation parkway used to run from Montreal Rd. by the Montford hospital to Ogilvy Rd. Now it runs from the 417 split north past the hospital and then follows the river east behind the Rockliffe airport, Rothwell heights and Beacon Hill north, then crosses Greens creek before heading south toward St Joseph Blvd.
As a kid I used to fish the creek from the outlet near the river, to where it crosses Montreal rd. to all the way south along Sheffield rd. Put lots of miles on the bike back then.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Ahhhh, I see. Google maps actually calls the north-south section the Aviation Parkway and the east-west part (which crosses Green's Creek) the Rockcliffe Parkway.

Looks like a nice bridge over Green's Creek at St. joseph too. I might give that a try. I love exploring for new spots.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

scarkner wrote:Ahhhh, I see. Google maps actually calls the north-south section the Aviation Parkway and the east-west part (which crosses Green's Creek) the Rockcliffe Parkway.

Looks like a nice bridge over Green's Creek at St. joseph too. I might give that a try. I love exploring for new spots.
If you really want to try it, I would recommend checking out the area by the parkway crossing instead. It's much more secluded and rural like and you can walk the creek both ways for a long ways. I would head towards the mouth of the creek at the Ottawa river. I haven't been down that way for a long time but I assume there is parking available.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Another week and the shore spots should heat up good I bet.

I prefer cutbait soaked in a Garlic brine. 1oz weight and a circle hook.

RJ