Fishing in Vermont

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing in Vermont

Post by scarkner »

My company here in Ottawa was recently acquired by a company based out of Vermont (near Burlington, VT). Since it looks like I will be driving there at least once a month, and the fishing it meant to be awesome, I decided to pickup a fishing license!

I was impressed with how easy they make it. Even hunting tags, etc. can be purchased online. If you are Canadian you can actually use your outdoors card as proof of taking courses, etc. Very nice, simple system, and I had my license in about 5 minutes.

Anyone familiar with fishing either in Burlington, or spots of interest along the road between Cornwall Ontario, and Burlington Vt. (I go west-to-east, through Macon and have noticed a lot of promising streams and ponds to try out)?

thanks!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fishing in Vermont

Post by NMG »

Not familiar at all but I know that I do want to drag my boat down to Lake Champlain this year!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

NMG wrote:Not familiar at all but I know that I do want to drag my boat down to Lake Champlain this year!
X2
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

You are completely right about Vermont. Its truly a fisherman's dream. Their website and license process is amazing. Moreover, there are almost public (free) beautiful boat launches on all major lakes and ponds. We go down to Vermont every spring for their progressive catch & release bass season (which opens in mid April) and hit either Champlain or Memphremagog. Its too bad Ontario or even closer parts of NY state don't have this open season. I've been fishing Vermont since the 80s and the bass fishing is only getting better, not worse.

Don't know many streams but fished many ponds and lakes. Champlain, of course, is king. However, Lake Carmi (closeby) has nice smallies. Memphremagog (now getting further) has some decent largemouth and big (but finnicky) smallies. Lakes Salem & Seymore hold some nice bass too. Bring a rod and try them out!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Grey_Thunder wrote:... However, Lake Carmi (closeby) has nice smallies. ...
X2!!

I spent a lot of time out there growing up. My crazy American cousins all live out there near Carmi, and the fishing there was blazing hot!!

Great memories... wouldn't mind getting out there again sometime.

Craig
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Thanks for the info and advice, I will post some pics if I do catch anything next week!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

When you get to Burlington keep going east on 89 exit at Bolton. Trout filled streams are abundant. Last time on Joiner Brook I bumped into another fella trout fishing, after a bit of friendly chat found out he was a sitting state governor (not VT). Some nice friendly fly fishing shops along the way... They will give you info on spots if you make a purchase. One fly rod caught my eye in one of the shops, 2300 bones yowza!!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

It took me a while, but I seem to finally be "on the fish". Caught my very first Rainbow Trout today, surprising that they wouldn't touch any flies but hammered small spinning baits when I switched rods. This little guy is my first even. All were released.

Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Superdad »

Have a look at the Lake Champlain website

http://cjohn2979.proboards.com/

David aka Superdad
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

scarkner wrote:It took me a while, but I seem to finally be "on the fish". Caught my very first Rainbow Trout today, surprising that they wouldn't touch any flies but hammered small spinning baits when I switched rods. This little guy is my first even. All were released.

I love the shirt!!!

Glad to hear you got into some gills out there. This thread got me thinking so much about that amazing area out there. Spent quite a bit of time there as a kid. Great times.

Craig
wallyandre
Participant
Participant

Post by wallyandre »

The best Vermont fishing website:

http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/forums/

The other site that has been post is dead.
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

Love that region. Even the QC side isn't too bad. Looking forward to hitting Massawippi and Memphremagog in a few weeks for some nice fat fall smallies...