Whats the dif?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SeaBass
Participant
Participant

Whats the dif?

Post by SeaBass »

Dumb question guys. I saw a nice abu garcia 7' workhorse forsale for $34.99. My question is that i noticed the guide closest to the reel is alot smaller then mitchel. Is this because its ment for a baitcaster? Can I still use a spinning reel? As well as is this a good rod??

Seabass
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Whats the dif?

Post by Moosebunk »

SeaBass wrote:
1 . Is this because its ment for a baitcaster?
2. Can I still use a spinning reel?
3. As well as is this a good rod??
Seabass
Answers,

1. Probably.
2. If you want to lose casting distance, yes.
3. No, not really. Too soft.
Rocky
Participant
Participant

Guide size

Post by Rocky »

While I haven't seen this rod, some manufacturers downsized the "gathering guide" awhile back in an attempt to minimize line slap and improve casting distance. It was about the same time that longer and narrower spool reels were all the rage. I never saw saw a big difference.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

SeaBass

I agree with Moosebunk

I have that rod and I don't like it. Uncomfortablr and wayyyyy to soft for a medium action. Sensitivity is poor. If you are using mono line, the combination of line stretch and tip softness makes for poor hooksets. Jigging with it means a huge rod movement vs jig movement again because it is so soft.

The only time I don't mind it is floatfishing for crappie, but any cheap rod will work for that.