Looking for fishing spots and tips Ottawa river

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking for fishing spots and tips Ottawa river

Post by Fishoholic »

Right behind parliament where the canal flows into the Ottawa. Well groomed bike path along the whole shore to the islands. You can park in the parking lot behind the supreme court after hours and the river is right there. I've gotten a ton of walleye in the evening during the fall. You can catch all kinds of different species there. I bring my skateboard and ride up and down the side walk for quicker access if one particular area isn't producing. Nice smooth concrete path. I found most of these spots using google and google maps. Satellite view on google maps can save you a lot of time if looking for spots in the city as the satellite views are like you are there. Good luck and report any good catches.

If you go enough maybe you can help another guy out with some info in the future as it wasnt that long ago I remember being in the same boat as you wondering where to spend my limited time. Now years later after gettin out whenever I can I have figured out where and when to go for what. Trial and error, makes it really rewarding when successfull.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Fishoholic wrote:Right behind parliament where the canal flows into the Ottawa. Well groomed bike path along the whole shore to the islands. You can park in the parking lot behind the supreme court after hours and the river is right there. I've gotten a ton of walleye in the evening during the fall. You can catch all kinds of different species there. I bring my skateboard and ride up and down the side walk for quicker access if one particular area isn't producing. Nice smooth concrete path. I found most of these spots using google and google maps. Satellite view on google maps can save you a lot of time if looking for spots in the city as the satellite views are like you are there. Good luck and report any good catches.

If you go enough maybe you can help another guy out with some info in the future as it wasnt that long ago I remember being in the same boat as you wondering where to spend my limited time. Now years later after gettin out whenever I can I have figured out where and when to go for what. Trial and error, makes it really rewarding when successfull.

Great, now I have to get a skateboard!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Haha ya the skateboard is sweet, it also lets me troll from shore at spots like that or the canal where the path is right beside the water.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Jimmy_1 wrote:I personally go at night.

I use a giant spotlight to look into the spawning ponds and look for the biggest fish.

I then spear them....especially like spearing BIG walleye!

:lol:

Sarcasm folks!
So would that mean you are or are not in favour of dynamite and gill netting?
Just figuring what equipment I should bring this weekend.
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Fishoholic wrote:Haha ya the skateboard is sweet, it also lets me troll from shore at spots like that or the canal where the path is right beside the water.
I have been skateboarding for 20 years and I never thought about trolling with it...... now it opens a hole slew of possibilities!!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Oh for Christ sake !!
Were talking the Ottawa River here. Not the Holy Grail like Muskrat Lake or the Big Rideau etc etc. First off, what the hell does the number of posts have to do with anything. What ? Does dude in question have to wait a number of years and reach a certain amount of posts before asking any questions ?? Don't think asking a guide for spots will get you anywhere without forking out a serious amount of Cash !! Lol :lol:

Can't go wrong with the spots Jimmy pointed out. And look, he didn't even ask for anything in return 8)

Try jigging with a worm tipped Chartreuse swirl tail jig....awesome for those Drum !!! Hang on ;)
Last edited by Bass Addict on Fri May 23, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Bass Addict wrote:Oh for Christ sake !!)
....awesome for those Drums !!! Hang on ;)
Top Secret Drum Corps

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Nobody knows drums like this guy ....

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Great thread boys. Was FH always like this? Or am I just remembering it wrong.... I don't remember so much venom, and worse... unfunny venom.

E
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

lapointeric wrote:Great thread boys. Was FH always like this? Or am I just remembering it wrong.... I don't remember so much venom, and worse... unfunny venom. E
You remember right Eric. No thread is safe anymore.It really adds a lot of ?????? to fish-hawk doesn't it? Saddest part is they don't care.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

smitty55 wrote:
lapointeric wrote:Great thread boys. Was FH always like this? Or am I just remembering it wrong.... I don't remember so much venom, and worse... unfunny venom. E
You remember right Eric. No thread is safe anymore.It really adds a lot of ?????? to fish-hawk doesn't it? Saddest part is they don't care.

Cheers

What's missing is the respect. It's turned into the Ottawa Sun comments section—where anything goes.

The majority of comments used to be positive, and if there was a disagreement, there was a constructive discussion. If somebody went nuts, mods edited the thread and/or banned them. I remember consciously holding back my useless/a-hole comments because somebody's kid was on here (Wolfe's)?

Anyways, now that the summer is here, I'll check back more often and see if my opinion changes. Maybe I just read a few stupid threads in a row.

E
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Nah Eric

We usually read 100+ blow-hard posts about pricey equipment or videos that have 0 to do with the topic at hand...

I digress....

The guy wanted some advice.

Some folk on here have kids, careers etc that do not permit them hours of time on the water.
I too would look for helpful hints and resources if my precious free time out to fish is very limited.

Nobody wants to spend a ton, have a few hours here and there only to be wasting their time.

If this were a mechanic board for example I highly doubt someone would get all moody and tell someone to figure it out themsleves over a carb tweaking question.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lapointeric wrote:
smitty55 wrote:

Cheers

What's missing is the respect. It's turned into the Ottawa Sun comments section—where anything goes.

The majority of comments used to be positive, and if there was a disagreement, there was a constructive discussion. If somebody went nuts, mods edited the thread and/or banned them. I remember consciously holding back my useless/a-hole comments because somebody's kid was on here (Wolfe's)?

Anyways, now that the summer is here, I'll check back more often and see if my opinion changes. Maybe I just read a few stupid threads in a row.

E
Is this going to be one of them threads again....you know, the reminiscing emotional what Fish-Hawk used to be thread?

Cause if it is....Paul, please bring back the bird pics!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
We usually read 100+ blow-hard posts about pricey equipment or videos that have 0 to do with the topic at hand...
Question is, why do you bother reading them if you're not inetrested?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

We don't. That's the funny part!