Muskie Fisherman Wanted

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Muskie Fisherman Wanted

Post by MTF »

Hey All,

I'm in my second season seriously targeting Muskie and so far I have not done too bad! I got seven last year in about as many trips with a 40" PB. So far my biggest difficulty is finding other people to go out fishing for muskie as most of my friends/fishing partners are not set up for Muskie (some only have conservation licences :shock: ).

So I am turning to fish hawk looking for another experienced angler that is set up and likes to target Muskies. I'm looking for someone that is self sufficient and able to share techniques and knowledge back and forth.

I fish out of a deep hull 14ft Lund and like to both cast and troll for Muskie. I also like to fish walleye when my arms get tired I call them wally breaks. I have two young kids and for that reason I mainly fish every other Sunday morning from sun rise to around lunchtime and once in a while I will take vacation/fishing days where I'll fish sunrise to sunset or until my arms fall off. I have June 9th currently booked off for a trip to the Arnprior area and still have an open seat.

If this interests you or are in the same boat please send me a PM and we can talk about getting out Muskie fishing!
Wishing I was fishing
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Muskie Fisherman Wanted

Post by lape0019 »

Send a PM to River Monster.

He targets Bass with me mostly now but before he started fishing with me he was right into Musky fishing and he still has all of his equipment.

We have also caught a few on our bass gear. They seem to really like our pitchin jigs for some reason...
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

MTF wrote:So far my biggest difficulty is finding other people to go out fishing for muskie as most of my friends/fishing partners are not set up for Muskie (some only have conservation licences :shock: )
Pardon my ignorance, but is there an issue with targeting Muskies while only having a Conservation License? The way I read the regs, it states that they must be immediately released after being caught if you hold that license (as opposed to being held in a livewell or something like that prior to release) . Am I missing something here?
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

NMG wrote:
MTF wrote:So far my biggest difficulty is finding other people to go out fishing for muskie as most of my friends/fishing partners are not set up for Muskie (some only have conservation licences :shock: )
Pardon my ignorance, but is there an issue with targeting Muskies while only having a Conservation License? The way I read the regs, it states that they must be immediately released after being caught if you hold that license (as opposed to being held in a livewell or something like that prior to release) . Am I missing something here?
I think thats his point ...... his friends are not set up to go fishn for Muskies ...... So he's looking for people that are :roll:

MTF, I know there are guys on here but I dont know their handles ....... check out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344380334856/

not sure if the club is active but still a bunch there that will help u with your quest :mrgreen:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I thought he was suggesting that by having the Conservation License they couldn't target them (I was assuming they were going C&R . . . maybe that's a poor assumption). If they planned on keeping a fish, then I totally get where he's coming from.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

NMG wrote:I thought he was suggesting that by having the Conservation License they couldn't target them (I was assuming they were going C&R . . . maybe that's a poor assumption). If they planned on keeping a fish, then I totally get where he's coming from.
:mrgreen:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I might also make an assumption that as they only have a conservation ticket, they are not serious anglers, and only have typical canadian tire combos rather than sufficient equipment to tackle muskies. So kinda pointless taking them out.
Again just my interpretation of his statement.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I bet my wife wishes I only had a conservation license. Shhh don't tell her that is an option.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The conservation license is a grey area. You are allowed 0 musky or salmon with this license. By the letter of the law, you are not allowed to continue fishing for a species when you have a limit. Since the limit is 0, you shouldn't target them. Now, 99% of the game wardens would not charge you for this, but my luck I would hit the 1% guy. We recommend to our customers they get the full license if targeting these two species.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

The other grey area is the immediate return to water. So by definition that means no measurements, pictures etc as that is not immediatly returned.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

I target musky a lot and since in only catch and release I have only had a conservation license and the way a c.o. told me you can can target them but you are not allowed to keep any even if it dies. And it impossible to say you are going after musky when all your lures are gigantic.....
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

You can fish with a conservation license for muskie you are just not allowed to keep them. Which I would think none of us would do anyways!!! MTF I'm always up for a muskie fish where do you travel to or from? I'm just west of kingston lot of good small little lakes in the area with huge muskie...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

lvace wrote:I target musky a lot and since in only catch and release I have only had a conservation license and the way a c.o. told me you can can target them but you are not allowed to keep any even if it dies. And it impossible to say you are going after musky when all your lures are gigantic.....
And this is where the problem lies. If I have read the regs correctly, you are not allowed to throw back a dead fish. So if the musky dies in your posession and you have a conservation license, what do you do? By law, you are not allowed to throw it back but because you do not have a sport license, you are not allowed to keep it either.

Adam
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

To me its simple.

Buy a sporting license if you want to target musky.

Its a couple bucks more and may save you a lot of $$$ if fined.

My $0.02
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

It's all in the interpretation of how the law reads. I questioned a lot of C.O.'s, right up to the head C.O. since we as issuers are liable as well. From a lot of them I got conflicting answers when they were given different scenarios. For my money, I'd play it safe and get the full license.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken