Regs on Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Regs on Walleye

Post by el_caboing »

So correct me if I am wrong, but what I get from the regs in zone 18 for walleye is that you can only keep them if they are between 40-50 cm correct or am I reading that wrong?
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Regs on Walleye

Post by Steady Eddy »

I just took a quick peek, and that's what I take from it.
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

THAT IS CORRECT ... ANYTHING BIGGER ARE CONSIDERED TO BE PRIME BREEDING STOCK :D
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Yup it's a pretty tough slot, I have got some pretty tasty looking 38 cm walleye that had to go back but a similar slot has done wonders for the walleye in zone 17 so let's hope it does the same here.
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

I fish in zone 15 where only walleyes 50 cm and above can be kept. Kind of wondering why, if they are the breeding stock. I seldom catch them that large. If I could keep the 40-50 cm ones, I'd have keepers every fishing trip I go out on.
Brian
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

goudieb wrote:I fish in zone 15 where only walleyes 50 cm and above can be kept. Kind of wondering why, if they are the breeding stock. I seldom catch them that large. If I could keep the 40-50 cm ones, I'd have keepers every fishing trip I go out on.
Brian
But only 1 over 46cm's
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
You are correct, Zone 15 regulations state for Walleye:
S - 4; not more than 1 greater than 46 cm (18.1 in.)
C - 2; not more than 1 greater than 46 cm (18.1 in.)

However, the lakes that I fish are in the list of exceptions to zone 15 regulations (specifically Lake Clear, Lake Dore and Golden Lake) where the Walleyes must be greater than 50 cm (19.7 in.).

What I was getting at is that I'm stumped as to why in Zone 18, fish in the 40-50 cm range can be kept but those above 50 cm are considered the breeding stock, whereas on the lakes I fish, those breeding stock fish can be kept. I would expect some sort of consistency in the rules...

I don't mean to stir the debate on this topic again (sorry if I already have).

Cheers,
Brian
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Each fishery is different - thus different rules.

In zone 18 there is an over-abundance of medium sized fish... which means that very few will ever become large as there is too much competition for food / habitat. By thinning out the medium pods at least some will grow big and become prime breeders. Harvesting the very small ones is also not a good idea as there is a lot of predation on them. Another way to put it is the zone 18 fishery is out-of-balance, slot sizes can help to restore balance in fish populations.

In zone 15 apparently things are balanced and they only want to selectively harvest the bigger ones.