Help - Where to fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Prospector
Participant
Participant

Help - Where to fish

Post by Prospector »

My wife and I are planning a vacation in Westport Ontario at the end of Aug. I will be bringing my 13' Boston Whaler on a trailer and hoped to do some fishing while there. I normally fish for smallmouth or largemouth and have done a little walleye fishing. Any suggestions on where to go?

Any suggestions on a guide in the area who could at least show us a few places to fish on the first day?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Chrome_A_Saurus
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrome_A_Saurus »

Hey there Prospector, I have fished down in westport a few times when I head up to a buddies cottage with him. I know of a few areas but I am sure there are lots af people on here that can help you out in that area alot more than I can, but I know for sure one of them is floatfishin. He knows the area like his own backyard. I am sure he will post to this or send him a pm , I am sure he is willing to help.

Cheers

Chrome
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Prospector welcome aboard :D and yes I do know the area as well as my home been goin up there for almost 30yrs!

Sent you a PM.

T.L F.F
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

From Westport you have loads of options. Upper Rideau, the lake at Westport has great fishing for largemouth and smallmouth. Five minutes east is Newboro, its shallower and weedy with loads of shoals, stumps etc. it's great for largemouth. Then five minutes to the west is Wolfe Lake which is deeper and clearer and is great for smallmouth. It's my opinion, but don't even waste your time on walleye. They are scarce on Upper Rideau and if you go after them its usually with heavy bottom bouncing crap and trolling in 30-50 ft of water. Your best chance of any walleye is an incidental catch on Wolfe while fishing for smallies. Both are caught in similar water on that lake.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Prospector -

Welcome to the FH.Net family. :D

I also have sent you a PM with regard to Westport and surrounding lakes.

Have a nice vacation and let us know what you ended up doing / going.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Prospector
Participant
Participant

Post by Prospector »

Thanks for all the advice. One more question. Is a 13' Boston Whaler too small for Rideau? It looks like a big lake.
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

You should be fine the only Rideau I know is the big and my 15 tri hull bow rider is fine it can get rough but a whaler should be fine.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Depends which Rideau. On Upper Rideau (the lake at Westport) you should be just fine. Whalers take rough water pretty good. On Big Rideau you'll be alright too as long as its not to windy. With a small boat its just hard to get around. Many people just use a 14" Aluminum on these lakes.