Kapuskasing bound!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Kapuskasing bound!

Post by BigC »

Wallyboss wrote:Who's his buddy?? If he's our age I know him for sure. Unless he moved there in the last 34 years.
HA HA

Wife is from Kap and I've heard her say this 1000 times and it's pretty much always true. If she doesn't know you she knows your brother or sister or cousin. Joanisse is her last name and her Dad was the doctor up there for years, probably delivered you Dan if you were born there.

Visted last year for the first time, fished Remi Lake without much success. Rufus is where to go I was told.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Big C I'm from Smooth Rock Falls 45 miles East of Kap. But i've definetly heard the name Dr. Joannisse. My Dad owned the Leonard's grocery store in SRF my uncles the one in Moonbeam and Kap.

Rufus is one of the lakes to go to for sure , but I think that Almontefisher is boatless and will fish before and after work so I think Rufus is not the place for him.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

mb_fishing wrote:If you can find someone to take you up the Kapuskasing River where it meets the Groundhog and Mattagami Rivers you will not be disappointed. The river system is vast and as wide as the Ottawa is at its widest in places. Takes an experienced hand to navigate depending on water levels.
Yeah one of my favorites spots is Cypress Falls on the Mattagami, we launched at Little Long to get there.

But again a bit far for Almontefisher

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

My grandpa lived just west of Moonbeam, I spent a lot of time up there fishing.

If you want bigger fish you will end up getting less, there can be big fish caught in Remi Lake North of Moonbeam as well as the Opisatika complex west of town.

If you are fishing from shore pretty much anywhere that there is a boat launch that keeps the weeds clear for your lure will work for pike.

Walleye on the Kap should still be decent, it has been a while but try to find some rapids and go from there.

We only ever caught walleye, pike and perch but there are still brookies in the creeks if you can find dark sheltered areas that have cool running water in them, I know of a few places up the Chain of Lakes road but they are 50 miles off the highway.

Send me a PM if you want some specifics and we can chat.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Small world,Dr, Joanise use to be my family Dr.I used to be a meat cutter at the the grocery store in Smoth Rock (Gravel )
The Remi River would be a good spot to fish too, u can access by Gurney Rd and fish off shore the roads is rough, hope u have a truck.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Wally what your name?? And what year were you butcher there?? I left SRF in 80. Mr. Gravel was my uncle. Had a few friends that worked there also around late 70's early 80's

Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

My first name is Alain, I work there in 1984/85 ,i remember a guy name Yves that was packer in the front.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

So just a quick update on my trip to Kapuskasing. It is beautiful country and I would love to come up here many times a year to work if I could. Anyway I got out yesterday for the first time and went to this local dock area by a beef experimental farm...WTF does that mean?? lol. Anyway third cast with a silver double bladed spinner bait and I had my first true Northern on the line. It bulldogged the snot out of me and put up a fight for about two minutes then with a fantastic jump out of the water of about two feet I swear it looked at me, winked and thrust its head to one side snapping my 20bls mono line and takiing lure with it.

Took note of this and went out today to buy 30lbs braided line and respooled for next time out. I was guessing it was around 15-16lbs and around 39-40 inches..what a fish and from what a local in a boat who saw the whole thing said it was an average size for here.... :shock:

Will let you know how the next trip out goes.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

!

Post by Wallyboss »

Experimental farm for beef. Ever seen those square hamburger patties at Wendys?? Guess where they came from?? Yep a square beef, it was a good experiment! Same with the boneless T-Bone steak :) :) :)
!!